SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-09, 05:52 PM   #16
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
A little off topic but this is what always bothered me about the movie Hunt for Red October.

Here the russians spent millions of dollars and thousands of man hours on a super secret 'stealth' propulsion system "undectectable" yet a seaman figures out how to track it within a few hours using the gear they already had on the boat.
yeah, you just got to roll with those sorts of blows in Clancy books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna
I think I'd be bothered if I was on a Boomer and suspected a Hunter Killer was nearby listening out for me
this is not the problem. The cloaking device will not affect passive sonar at all. It will curve active sonar around the hull.

So it will have a bigger effect on active sonar homing torpedoes and helos trying to finish off the sub long after initial detection, and also giving the submarine a much better chance to get away.

This because most vessels rely on passive for inital detection, although i remember reading that due to the increased quitness of modern submarines, general use of active is increasing.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-09, 07:56 PM   #17
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
I rather suspect Asia had a hand in bringing us Mr Fang, Shu Zhang and Leilei
Yin's invention as well. Even if only a genealogical hand.
On that same note, so did the whole Universe.

-S
Old 06-20-09, 12:30 PM   #18
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundman View Post
yeah, you just got to roll with those sorts of blows in Clancy books.

this is not the problem. The cloaking device will not affect passive sonar at all. It will curve active sonar around the hull.

So it will have a bigger effect on active sonar homing torpedoes and helos trying to finish off the sub long after initial detection, and also giving the submarine a much better chance to get away.

This because most vessels rely on passive for inital detection, although i remember reading that due to the increased quitness of modern submarines, general use of active is increasing.
Joe knows more than he's telling ... I can tell you one thing when another nuc passes you all you can hear is a hissing sound. You need sound frequecy detection gear to analize the source to tell what country she's from.

You woudn't believe how much noise a boomer makes. Not a watch would go by without hearing one of those big walk in freezer doors being slammed while sitting on sonar or even one time the diesel boat I was on had a crew members tape player grounded to the hull and the destroyer above making request for songs to be played.

This was forty years ago of course, but crews have to learn to be more careful especially when your life is on the line.

It's those pesky ASW planes with mad detection that will get you every time unless you hear him first and try to wiggle away with a deep all out run that is.
Old 06-23-09, 02:10 PM   #19
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

The Ohios are pretty quiet, but it's all about crew discipline. Get some nub that doesn't understand the meaning of sound silencing in the scullery and everybody knows what hes washing. Odd how the loudest sounds come from the mess decks... But you're dead on about the ASW aircraft. I sat ESM and it was drilled into me what an APS-137 looked, sounded, smelt, and tasted like.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 04:25 PM   #20
Chef_Hendrix
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetrue View Post
Joe knows more than he's telling ... I can tell . Not a watch would go by without hearing one of those big walk in freezer doors being slammed while sitting on sonar .

Chefs always get blamed! Everyones best friend till someone makes a noise and then we always the first to get blamed!!!......................................... Usually true though!
Chef_Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-09, 11:56 PM   #21
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Welcome aboard Chef Hendrix. So you are a chef on board a submarine?
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-09, 04:08 PM   #22
Chef_Hendrix
Nub

Thanks! Been followin these forums since SH2 just never registered!

And to answer your question, yep, currently servin RN Chef of the Deep!
Old 06-26-09, 06:52 AM   #23
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Hendrix View Post
Thanks! Been followin these forums since SH2 just never registered!

And to answer your question, yep, currently servin RN Chef of the Deep!
What boat are you on currently?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 12:22 PM   #24
Chef_Hendrix
Nub

One of the Trafalgar Class T-Boats operating out of Plymouth. Been serving onboard nearly 7 yrs now. Had some good jollys out of them considering we dont get too many on boats. My brothers a skimmer served a year and a half longer than me but has seen at least 10 more countries than me, but I prefer the subs. Anyone thats served in boats will appreciate how much more informal but profesional onboard boats are compared to the skimmers. Everyones first names cept the pusser, xo an the old man! obviously theres more than that, but its the little things like that, that make the difference.
Old 06-26-09, 04:21 PM   #25
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Hendrix View Post
One of the Trafalgar Class T-Boats operating out of Plymouth. Been serving onboard nearly 7 yrs now. Had some good jollys out of them considering we dont get too many on boats. My brothers a skimmer served a year and a half longer than me but has seen at least 10 more countries than me, but I prefer the subs. Anyone thats served in boats will appreciate how much more informal but profesional onboard boats are compared to the skimmers. Everyones first names cept the pusser, xo an the old man! obviously theres more than that, but its the little things like that, that make the difference.
Rgr that matey

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote