Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-24-21, 06:03 AM   #61
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Adm Steel:

I've talked to other veterans who have said the same things. One Marine told me the same thing you are saying: The Navy (or any branch of the military) taught me valuable life skills that made me better at certain jobs. That's also part of my plan, I hope that after I get out of the Navy (and if I have a great job in the Navy) I can find a civilian job that I have some experience in.

About Obama's Navy, I'm probably not the best person to chime in on this but in today's current political climate, people get agitated if you don't follow their political views. I've seen that happen on both sides, and I expect it to get worse. When I get in the military, I'm gonna try my best to stay out of politics early on (unless my job requires me to be involved in politics).

And to ETSN and Aktung: I'd imagine those places would be wild! They have changed a lot though probably.

Excellent job guys! Keep the stories coming in!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 03:11 PM   #62
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Whacko View Post
Good luck! What made you choose to be a dental assistant? I am curious as I haven't met a person who chose a job like that. There are some kids in my unit who are qualified as Corpsmen at like 16. There is some training that I can attend where the subject is "Tac Med" which, from what I have heard, is REALLY demanding physically, mentally, and academically.

I had wanted regular corpsman originally, but it wasn't available when I applied, so I took HMDA since it was what was available and was close enough and I wanted to join ASAP. From what I heard they've got a nice standard of living, working in clinics and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Young Lad: be advised, Rule 1 of modern warfare: "An army (and navy or airforce) travels on it's stomach"! Basically we killed all the buffalo and practised biological warfare (smallpox) and simply out-ate the natives to make good Indians!...On submarines mealtimes are considered major moral boosters. You yourself discovered this when quaranteen'd in your bedroom with Covid and mommy occasionally slipped pizza under the door...but didn't confiscate your computer! A critical function of this military logistical principle is...GOOD TEETH! No one can effectively go "over the top" with an excrutiating abscessed tooth to bayonet the foe in no man's land. Hence, a dental assistant, with pliers and a bag of flossers, is essential equipment on any fighting front. They will not blow ballast for a sailor's toothach on a boomer! Even the Earps had Doc Holliday-dentist with them at the OK Corral!! EDIT: and take that TAKMed training; it's very useful at accidents, heart-attacks in your neighborhood/household etc. You'll be the "go-to man" holding the line until the EMT cavalry arrives; generally 10 min. on a dispatch, but essential to a victim in mortal distress. And it beats standing around gawking uselessly....

Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately, I had to get medically separated/discharged halfway through training for a spinal condition I didn't know I had prior to joining, so I am back home as a civilian now. Crushed since I was adjusting well and thought I'd found my calling.

I'm going to try to get back into the Navy ASAP, but that'll probably take about a year at least (if the Navy won't take me, I might try the Army as a secondary choice). Here's hoping it goes better this time. I miss it already, I had more fun in boot camp and was happier in the 6 weeks I was there than I did in the past 10 years in civilian life.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 06-08-21 at 03:33 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-21, 09:34 AM   #63
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai View Post
I'm going to try to get back into the Navy ASAP, but that'll probably take about a year at least (if the Navy won't take me, I might try the Army as a secondary choice). Here's hoping it goes better this time. I miss it already, I had more fun in boot camp and was happier in the 6 weeks I was there than I did in the past 10 years in civilian life.
Wow! That's something I've never heard before! You had fun there while RDC's were screaming at you and smoking you?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 06-10-21, 10:51 AM   #64
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Quote:
Wow! That's something I've never heard before! You had fun there while RDC's were screaming at you and smoking you?
Guess I was lucky, I didn't get screamed at or beat much; I just kept a low profile and tried to blend in. Now, my fellow division mates on the other hand weren't as lucky...

I suppose the reason I enjoyed it as much as I did was because my life before was pretty boring and dull, so the new experience was refreshing and stimulating. From what I saw those there that were miserable were those who had a good thing going back home so they missed that.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 06-10-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 11:32 AM   #65
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Fair enough.

Why did you decide to enlist?

Old 06-18-21, 10:52 PM   #66
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Fair enough. Why did you decide to enlist?
I was getting long in the tooth and my life was stagnant, going nowhere. I had done nothing with my life and was in the same position before I left that I was in 10+ years ago. I figured it was time to do something and get things in gear before it was too late. The Navy's old recruiting slogan was "Accelerate your life" and that pretty much sums it up for me.

My division graduated today, saw the pics online and must admit I was pretty sad since I wasn't able to be there with them. Hopefully by the end of next year I'll be either a sailor or a soldier, we'll see.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 06-21-21 at 02:24 AM.