SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-19, 05:30 AM   #1
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0
Default Obscure WWII US Sub Question

Does anyone have any idea how long it took to refuel a Gato or Balao class sub during WWII. And also dose anyone know how long it took to load a complete complement of 24 torpedoes? In SH4 whenever I resupply my boat in the field I fast forward time about two hours when I refuel, and about five or six hours when I take on a full load of torpedoes. I am just guessing at these times but they seam reasonable to me. It's just one of those things I like to do to make the game that much more realistic.

Any info or input would be appreciated.

-StealthRabbit
Old 09-03-19, 07:07 PM   #2
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

So, I'm starting to think that this is a bit too obscure. Either that or I'm not doing something right. Is this thing on?

-StealthRabbit
Old 09-03-19, 07:50 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

actually i've done a lot of research(since your first post)and cannot find anything relating to time spans for 'eel'/fuel replenishment. I'll keep looking...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-19, 01:49 PM   #4
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Cool. Thanks. The effort is appreciated. And if you, or anyone can't find an answer it's not the end of the world....... or is it?

-StealthRabbit
Old 09-25-19, 04:37 PM   #5
Amiral Crapaud
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 2

Problem is, finding this info is made all the harder by the fact that you wouldn't be sent back to sea in such a short order after a reload of that kind. I could understand the fueling part on a trip back home, but there's nothing realistic about going back into patrol after reloading a full complement of torpedoes right after calling port. You and your guys would enjoy a few days if not weeks in land quarters before the next assignment, and reloads would happen in the days prior to you leaving port again.

My point is that you might want to make reloading last as long as it took historically, but don't want the administrative process to happen like it should historically. That's not one of these things that make the game more realistic in the end - arguably clicking on "end patrol" does that already
Amiral Crapaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-19, 05:27 PM   #6
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

I should check this more often.

What I am talking about may have never happened in real life, I don't know, but what I am talking about is if let's say a boat has been only out for say 2 weeks, and for whatever reason it ends up shooting off all or at least the vast majority of it's torpedoes (in SH4 this has happened to me very rarely maybe 3 or 4 times). I am guessing, and it is only a guess, that the decision would not be made to send the boat all the way home again, but rather reload (and re-fuel for that matter) at a flotilla. I guess I should have used that key word in my original question.

How long would it take to take on a complement of 24 torpedoes and re-fuel at a ->flotilla<-.

My fault for not stating my question clearly .

-StealthRabbit