SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-30-05, 11:44 AM   #16
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Beery wrote
Quote:
It's an occasional bug. It does no harm. I think it has to do with that part of the file being expanded to include a news report. The best thing to do is try to ignore it.
Ok. I can live with it!

Rubini.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-05, 04:57 PM   #17
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

I've tried everything suggested here and SHIII will not load at all. All I get is the intros and when the game loads, as soon as the red bar stops "Error" messg shows. I even changed to SHIII Commander Lite, did the rollback and the readme thing and reboot pc. Nada, no SHIII.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-05, 02:29 AM   #18
snowsub
中国水兵

Downloads: 0

just a quick Q with regards to the random folder.

making a randon folder date of say: 19400626 on haveing files in them (say gramophone ones) will they be installed from every date from the 26-06-1940 until the next folder date (say 5-12-1940).

If that sounds right?

basically I'm asking is that if I greate folders for every month date
etc

when I load the game in 16-01-1940 i'll only get the files from the 19400101 folder and not all the ones before??, and when i get int0 february the files will be updated from the 19400201 folder??

That's the way I guess it'd work but just checking.
Old 12-02-05, 02:49 AM   #19
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

No, not quite right. Using your example, how it works is that every *unique* file in *all* folders previous to 16/1/40 will be copied into the game. Where files are duplicated (or more to the point, have the same names) across the date folders, only those files in the *last* date folder will be copied across.

This avoids duplication as you do not need to put every file into every date folder for it to be copied into the game - the files only need to be put into the *earliest* date folder and will always be copied into the game until replaced with files with the *same* name in a later date folder, which will from then take their place.

Example, with copied files in bold:

19390901 FILEA, FILEB
19391001 FILEC, FILED
19391101 FILEA, FILED
19391201 FILEB
19400101 FILEE, FILEA
CURRENT DATE 19400116
19400201 FILEA, FILEF
19400301 FILEB, FILEC

Each duplicate file could be an updated ship skin, or sound file (ie like Radio.wav).
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-05, 12:23 PM   #20
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Hello, using the latest IuB and the latest SH3 Commander.

My question is, in the file U-boat numbers.cfg in the cfg folder found in the SH3 Commander directory, the values for the Type IIA are as follows:

[IIA]
ALL=1,2,3,4,5,6

This being historically accurate, is exactly how I want it. The problem is, I start a new career via SH3 Commander, load the game, select the Flotilla and year as set in SH3 Commander (1st and 1939 obviously since I am going for the IIA) and I still get boats numbered into the 20's. Why is this?
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-05, 02:42 PM   #21
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury

My question is, in the file U-boat numbers.cfg in the cfg folder found in the SH3 Commander directory, the values for the Type IIA are as follows:

[IIA]
ALL=1,2,3,4,5,6

This being historically accurate, is exactly how I want it...
But it's not historically accurate. The Type IIA was not used by any flotilla featured in the game. In fact, all Type IIAs were school boats, and if they saw combat at all they only saw combat as school boats. This type should be the Type IIB, which served extensively with 1st Flotilla, and which is what the latest version of RUb and SH3 Commander models, but there's no way (as far as I know) to change the actual U-boat type number in the game.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-05, 03:50 AM   #22
trebby
Medic

Downloads: 210
Default Continue creer after BdU time

Hello JScones!

Still very happy with SH3 Commander, no complaints here!
The other day you mentioned working on a new version to be released (possibly) around Christmas.
I would like to ask you if it were possible to:

1.Keep the random career length as is
2. After retiring after some missions as dictated by SH3 Commander,
an option to re-activate the career a year or so later to simulate some BdU time as was done historically. Those commanders usually continued their career (Kentrat,Gysae,LĂĽth ect) in an IXD2. In middle 1942-1943.

That would be really great....

Cheers, trebby
trebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 10:45 AM   #23
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
Quote:

[IIA]
ALL=1,2,3,4,5,6

This being historically accurate, is exactly how I want it...
But it's not historically accurate. The Type IIA was not used by any flotilla featured in the game. In fact, all Type IIAs were school boats, and if they saw combat at all they only saw combat as school boats. This type should be the Type IIB, which served extensively with 1st Flotilla, and which is what the latest version of RUb and SH3 Commander models, but there's no way (as far as I know) to change the actual U-boat type number in the game.
LOL I am NOT saying that the deployment of boats is accurate and my question was in no way about that. My post was about the DESIGNATION NUMBERS on the boats. Your quote of me left that part out. I stated that having the IIAs numbered 1 thru 6 was historically accurate, not the deployement of them in 1st. Flt. You do great work Beery and I have played enough WW2 games to expect the resident "Forum Historical Accuracy Police" but please understand the post first.

Anyways... my question is still unanswered. Why are boats of the IIA type numbered higher then 6 when the U-boat numbers.cfg supplied with SH3 Commander seems to show them as limited to 1 - 6 only? (I know that "but there's no way (as far as I know) to change the actual U-boat type number in the game" was in your post Beery, but then why would this file exist?)
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-05, 02:03 PM   #24
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Anyways... my question is still unanswered. Why are boats of the IIA type numbered higher then 6 when the U-boat numbers.cfg supplied with SH3 Commander seems to show them as limited to 1 - 6 only? (I know that "but there's no way (as far as I know) to change the actual U-boat type number in the game" was in your post Beery, but then why would this file exist?)
I think there's a miscommunication somewhere. I am understanding your post, but deployment does come into it, since the reason RUb and SH3 Commander doesn't model the Type IIA is because of deployment issues, and therefore it doesn't use Type IIA boats or numbers. My SH3 Commander U-boat numbers.cfg file has the following numbers for the Type IIA:

[IIA]
ALL=8,9,11,13,15,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,56,57,58,59, 60,61,62,63
902=8,9,11,13,15,17,19,20,21,22,23,24,56,57,58,59, 60,61,62,63

I'm not sure if that's what the current release has, but it will be in the final release and it's correct for the Type IIB as far as I know. We can only fix so many things at a time, and this may not have been fully implemented in earlier versions. I must admit I'm not as 'in-the-loop' as I used to be on these issues, so I can't give a more precise answer than that.

- Missen.
Old 12-17-05, 03:04 PM   #25
kriller2
Ace of the Deep

I cant get SH-commander to work... It says something about "File acess denied" ? allthough I make the folder and files writeable the files suddenly is write protected when I run sh commander??

Real Environment mod

and Pacific Enviroments 4 mod
kriller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 02:18 AM   #26
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller2
I cant get SH-commander to work... It says something about "File acess denied" ? allthough I make the folder and files writeable the files suddenly is write protected when I run sh commander??
Covered above in the FAQ - "Q: When I open SH3 Commander I get a screen full of "Error!" labels and/or error messages saying that SH3 Commander cannot write to, or access, certain game files. What's wrong?". Also, the first few responses in this thread cover this scenario.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 09:31 AM   #27
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

Started up my first career with SH3 Commander (lastest verison as of two weeks ago).....after the first patrol I docked at my starting point only to exit and have my tonnage taken away...so I researched for a bug and found that their is a bug with the above problem.....so I stopped docking and used the "Dock at" function (with in 25 km of base...hit exit patrol...yada yada)

So after my first career came to an end at 6 patrols I start a new one about the time my other one left off....I get back to base after the patrol and exit with in 25km....but ...no tonnage awarded???? me thinks something is a miss here???

Game bug or SH3 commander bug?....any specific actions Im missing for starting a new Career a la SH3 commander to cause this?

Specs:
Intel P4 2.8gh, 512 ram, GeForce 6600 GT (forceware 81.95)

MODS: RUB, SH3 commander....thats it so far.
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-05, 11:27 AM   #28
Beery
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by finchOU
...So after my first career came to an end at 6 patrols I start a new one about the time my other one left off....I get back to base after the patrol and exit with in 25km....but ...no tonnage awarded???? me thinks something is a miss here???

Game bug or SH3 commander bug?...
It's a game bug. If you want to avoid this bug, you have to avoid upgrading your U-boat's equipment before the first patrol.

- Missen.
Old 12-19-05, 11:20 PM   #29
finchOU
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 77

ah!!! ...Yahtzee!!!!...thanks man ....I do remember up-grading something....hydrophone i think....lesson learned (hopefully)
finchOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-05, 06:30 PM   #30
kriller2
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Covered above in the FAQ - "Q: When I open SH3 Commander I get a screen full of "Error!" labels and/or error messages saying that SH3 Commander cannot write to, or access, certain game files. What's wrong?". Also, the first few responses in this thread cover this scenario.
Yes I know but as I unprotect the files in sh3, the files suddenly protect itself, so I cant use the sh-comannder, quite anoying... Hope someone can help? because as it is now, I can't use this program which is a shame...

Real Environment mod

and Pacific Enviroments 4 mod
kriller2 is offline   Reply With Quote