SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-17, 09:16 AM   #1
LittleGrebe
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Deck gun of merchant destroyed

Sorry if this has been reported already, but you often read in manuals that shooting at the deck gun of a merchant will not work.

Well, you can stop the gun! I was chasing one and there was this fanatic sailor on the deck shooting at me. And hitting me, so I aimed just below the deck gun. There was an explosion and I could see the gunner fall down. After that no shots were fired from the merchant until it went down.

Maybe the gun did not function because of the explosion, or the merchant only had one gunner. Whatever, it worked and I'll try it again.

Last edited by LittleGrebe; 02-27-17 at 02:27 PM.
LittleGrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-17, 07:13 PM   #2
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

I've found that staying submerged and torpedoing them also prevents them from firing back...
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-17, 10:32 AM   #3
LittleGrebe
Watch

Sure, but sometimes, on the way back, you're out of torpedos.

It is risky though, I just managed to float back to port with 94 hull damage. A lucky shot from a Japanese merchant.

The Commander was not happy and offered me the opportunity to end my career with a Medal of Honor.

Of course I refused and demanded my new boat
Old 02-28-17, 12:19 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

the problem is they didn't bother to create damage files for things like sailors and most of the guns in the game so the only way to destroy them is to destroy the deck they sit on. but this gets more difficult because many ships have incomplete or non existant damage files for many parts of the ship so while you might get lucky at times, for the most part, the only way to stop the guns is to kill the whole ship so it registers as destroyed.

same thing goes for shore guns, I have had fun shooting them and 2 out of 3 you can destroy but often there is one or more that you cant kill even with a direct hit because the game has no file to register it as destroyed
Old 02-28-17, 05:52 PM   #5
LittleGrebe
Watch

Thanks, I can use this. Always remember that some guns can't be damaged.

Probably I destroyed the deck, I aimed under the gun hoping for an explosion of a barrel, cargo etc. So destroying the deck disabled the gun.

There are no damage files for sailors? But I definitely saw the gunner fall down on the deck because of the explosion. He never stood up again. How is this possible? I don't suppose they crawl over the deck wounded, to rise again out of sight.

Thinking about it, these beautiful mods change anything, it don't seem too difficult to send a gun flying in the air when it's hit. But I've modded some games myself and know that some things can't be touched, being hard-coded.