SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-21, 07:53 AM   #1
u-47
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default How to edit torpedo effectiveness?

In silent hunter 3, what file so you edit to increase our decrease the power of your torpedoes and what exactly do you edit?
u-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-21, 09:06 AM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Without looking myself, I'd take a look at the various torpedo files in the data\library path.
You'll need S3D editor.
Old 02-14-21, 02:00 PM   #3
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

You need to change some values in the Torpedo.sim and Torpedo.zon values in the data/Library folder using S3D just as John Pancoast said...
In those files, you will find the values that control the torpedo speed, range, explosion range and power (min and max). Be careful with the values you want to use, they might cause a catastrophe if increased too much...
Old 02-14-21, 03:50 PM   #4
u-47
Watch

Ok, thanks all.
Old 02-14-21, 04:08 PM   #5
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

What is it you're wanting to do and why ? If you don't want to mess with S3D, there may be other ways to accomplish what you want.
Old 02-16-21, 07:43 PM   #6
u-47
Watch

I just want to make the torpedoes a little more powerful so you dont have to fire 2 tors at a small freighter to sink it. Nothing nuclear, I can understand the need for 2 torps for a bigger ore carrier or even three.

Looked for this S3D program but apparently it is no longer available and the creator hasnt been seen since last year: skwasjer

Any other application that you know of or Mod that can do what Im after?
Thanks

Old 02-16-21, 07:52 PM   #7
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by u-47 View Post
I just want to make the torpedoes a little more powerful so you dont have to fire 2 tors at a small freighter to sink it. Nothing nuclear, I can understand the need for 2 torps for a bigger ore carrier or even three.

Looked for this S3D program but apparently it is no longer available and the creator hasnt been seen since last year: skwasjer

Any other application that you know of or Mod that can do what Im after?
Thanks

I can upload S3D for you but not until tomorrow. As to fixing things anyway, an easy fix would be to just swap out (per your example) the small freighter files in data\sea. Its the ship files that have been modded that are responsible more than the torpedo ones.
I.e., take the stock files and replace your current ones with that preferably with a JSGME mod format. Small merchant is called NKSs and/or NLSs in the sea folder.
Let me know if you need S3D anyway.
Old 02-17-21, 06:14 PM   #8
u-47
Watch

ok thanks, I was actually able to find a copy of the S3D in another post from some years back. I will play around with it tonight.
Old 02-17-21, 08:42 PM   #9
u-47
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
You need to change some values in the Torpedo.sim and Torpedo.zon values in the data/Library folder using S3D just as John Pancoast said...
In those files, you will find the values that control the torpedo speed, range, explosion range and power (min and max). Be careful with the values you want to use, they might cause a catastrophe if increased too much...

Ok so I saw a post where the user was looking to make a Nuke torpedo titled " Increasing Torp damage via SIlent 3ditor"

He mentions "impulse is the amount of explosive force the warhead has, the bigger this number the more force is applied to the target" but he also mentions the Torpedo.zon and what to edit there.

What I am confused about is this Radius setting, is that the determining factor on how powerful the torpedo is as in 1 torp needed to sing a small freighter or do you have to edit both the sim and zon files.

Im not a modder or a programmer so in S3D Im like whoa!
Old 02-18-21, 08:59 PM   #10
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

IMHO, the best thing you can do is run tests, increasing the values in steps of 5 until you reach an acceptable result. If you exceed a reasonable limit, you will annihilate a convoy with one torp....
Old 02-18-21, 09:07 PM   #11
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

u-47, you have PM, Sir!!!
Old 02-18-21, 09:11 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
IMHO, the best thing you can do is run tests, increasing the values in steps of 5 until you reach an acceptable result. If you exceed a reasonable limit, you will annihilate a convoy with one torp....
If you exceed a reasonable limit, you will annihilate a convoy with one torp....

In other words, you mean bring WW2 into the nuclear age, with a very big bang...

M. M.

Old 02-18-21, 09:47 PM   #13
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If you exceed a reasonable limit, you will annihilate a convoy with one torp....

In other words, you mean bring WW2 into the nuclear age, with a very big bang...

M. M.

Yes, exactly... Can't find better words to describe it.... Been there, done it... Not to mention the CTD that will almost 100% sure will happen (also been there)