SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Destroyer - The U-Boat Hunter
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-17-22, 03:43 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default New Patch is live

New Patch is live
U-boat maneuvering and more...
Heyho everyone!

Upon hearing your feedback, we have made a thorough readjustment of the U-boat underwater speed and maneuvering. Following adjustments you will be able to find in the new version:

U-boat underwater speed averages at 4kn.
U-boats more often go into silent running at 2-3kn.
U-boats may achieve a maximum underwater speed of 6kn, although rarely and briefly.
U-boats dive to medium and deep more often, but due to lower U-boat speeds the hit probability has increased significantly.
Minimum turning radius for U-boat evasive maneuvers has been corrected.
Battles have been rebalanced to fit the new U-boat characteristics.
The number of ‘stealthy captain’ U-boats has increased to allow for more uncertainty and the need for better patrolling and sonar coverage.
We have also improved a wide variety of technical imperfections and applied a few fixes. The full list is available further below.

We are very thankful for all your input, as we believe the above changes are a huge improvement to the game. We also hope that those of you who were disappointed with their first experience will give Destroyer one more chance and will hopefully see that things are going in the right direction. If that is the case, we would be very thankful if you could let us know, either on the Steam forums or, even better, in your reviews. In any case, your feedback allows us to stay on the course, so we are very eager to know what you think.

Please rest assured, however, that the current game balance is not final, and that we will keep fine-tuning it according to your feedback, and in parallel with further evolution of the game. The next update will happen very soon and will introduce a new mission type: "Ambush" , along with further gameplay improvements.

Other improvements in this patch:
Longer missions possible in ‘custom mission’ mode (up to 10 hrs)
Fixed errors occurring whenever surfaced U-boats were eliminated with gunfire
Improved U-boat sinking reports, corrected info in the ‘contacts’ station
3D objects in ‘extras’ now allow for better viewing
radar aim corrected and should not get stuck to one target
searchlight corrected and should turn off as expected

Please stay tuned for more and, as always, happy hunting!

Artur Salwarowski
Destroyer Lead Designer
Iron Wolf Studio
Old 10-18-22, 09:41 AM   #2
Toybasher
Watch

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Any plans to stream a play session of the new patch? What's your opinion on the new U-boat's maneuvering? IIRC it was argued the old pre-patch behavior was historically accurate although the U-boat went at 7 knots too consistently. (IRL 7 knots would probably only be used for evasive due to rapid battery drain. Not for merely approaching the convoy.)

Is the new behavior still realistic? Seems they can't go at 7 knots at all anymore submerged (This means you'll always have at least 1 knot closure rate on ahead 1/3rd even when chasing from behind) and I'm concerned the U-boats are now sitting ducks and these changes might be too far in the other direction.
Toybasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 04:12 PM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I agree with you, initial release had u-boats that spent most/all of their time at full ahead when underwater. Maybe when they slowed down and went deep, that was part of the silent running model. But they always showed 7 knots on the Contacts board. It's much better now.

Good stuff!
Quote:
U-boats may achieve a maximum underwater speed of 6kn, although rarely and briefly.
U-boats dive to medium and deep more often, but due to lower U-boat speeds the hit probability has increased significantly.

Quote:
However, I was pretty ok with the U-boat turning radius before. From last few sessions, it does not seem to be critically affected I will know more when I get back to my office for a long session.

First impressions, seems like new subs do not appear as quickly, more like one at a time. I like the challenge of handling multiple contacts but I can understand how that be frustration for new players.

Eventually they need to scale the difficulty and u-boat performance through multiple difficulty levels.

I plan to record a video for comments Thursday. Really looking fwd to the Ambush mode, that sounds great.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-22, 08:10 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

The underwater speed factor also reflects the fact that the extended periscope would vibrate above 4 knots anyway, reducing optic efficiency and target calculation in real life. The 5 meter tube, when extended from the housing, would be almost useless above 6 knots due to excess vibration which could, in turn, lead to major problem #2: irreparable leakage or loss of air-tightness in the tube which would cause fogging from the damp submersible's always moist atmosphere.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-18-22 at 08:21 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 09:00 PM   #5
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208

Good updates. The big thing I'm looking forward to is the destroyer being fired upon by the uboats' torpedoes.
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-22, 10:54 AM   #6
Pigmachine
Seaman

Downloads: 20

It still feels so bare-bones that one can't even predict it's future or even remotely it's final form or direction. (bring me a dynamic career that beats SH3, and I can stand being in a rowboat with 3 hand-grenades and a fishing-rod for the majority of the war/career/campaign)

It's promising in a few ways.. but currently it just feels ..like it haven't even decided on how to feel.

I like (to choose the possibility) to be bored for hours, just chugging along and checking possible non-existent threats/targets.
Pigmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-22, 11:10 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Pigmachine! after a 6-year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote