Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-22-10, 04:16 AM   #916
morttheslayer
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Pre Kursk Alpha Battalion

Hi Frinik glad to hear your working the installations out. I had some early problems and to avoid any clashes or conflicts that detracted from my "main testing objectives" I chose not to install the Xmas gift or the latest mission No3. Purely for my "cleaner leaner install". Sure I'm missing a mission or two, but I know now exactly where I am (I was getting very bogged down with a huge sheet of notes scribbled all over!!!!) So now I have the 1,2,3 i.e. Basic TvsT, Pre Kursk Alpha v.1 and then Kursk Pre Alpha v.5 and all worked great. I have a copy of each so I can revert back to the folder and run it for comparison. I forgot also to mention after my first test upgrade (Basic plus PK Alpha v.1) first German mission has your Mount in a different camo (same as your wingman). Also textures have changed (seemed richer/deeper).
You queried my gameplan, I find when negotiating fairly unobstructed areas I put driver to auto and myself as switcheable between Gunner and Commander, negotiating obstacles (giving the Auto driver steering and speed prompts) like trees, from F6 outside view (cheating really) .

This allows me to "jump" back to Gunner or Commander via F5 key and scan (if Commander with extra height for danger/targets. I can also as Cmdr, activate gunner if a target suddenly appears (like a T34) by hitting the G key (previously not allocated Auto) to help me out of a Problem.
I can also, if things get too hot, put myself in drivers position (my driver never reverses very well!!) and very bravely clear out of it!!!

I will man the drivers position on occassions leaving Cmdr and Gunner on Auto if playing "Hide and seek" this helps the slight problem with X-Ray vision sometimes around heavily wooded areas.

I prefer to be in the gunners position mostly though as I love to have a
shot that turns the opposition into fireworks. I find though that with Kursk I have to move more to avoid hits and tend to select Gunner Auto as I don't have the luxury of time, like the earlier single missions mind you I kind of expected this, Zee doesn't want this to be a walkover as Kursk was a bloodbath for both sides I certainly have had my share of being knocked out!!
All the best - Mort

PS Lc I was up early like you this morning due to the fact (as we say in England "I had church candles hanging from my nostrils" which means I have a cold perhaps I brought it back from Scotland !! sniff sniff!
morttheslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 07:47 AM   #917
LcSummers
XO

Downloads: 341
Default Prioaff Report #2

Now i had time to test it again. At the start fps was very good. But advancing and reaching woods and advancing to village fps droped between 5.9-5.4. After eliminating those guns etc. fps went up to 7.6 in village again.

Experience shows me,that with prioaff fps rises 1-2 fps more at the moment. Now it was better to play. (God mode, one Tiger)

Thats all for the moment, waiting for orders or reports from other testers.

LC
LcSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 07:55 AM   #918
LcSummers
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Morty/LC thank you both for your answers you are indeed Brothers-in-arms ( although in Lc's case it's in legs as well....)

Thanks again Comrades and keep writing about your experiences it's very interesting to read about your respective tactics.Do you guys drive your tanks as the driver or do you drive in automatic with the external view on?

Cheerio

Frinic,

You are always welcome. my brother in legs.

Do you guys drive your tanks as the driver or do you drive in automatic with the external view on?

I use both options to see if there are differences for testing (internal and external view) but never automatic. Commander remains the same (in most cases). Gunny sometimes automatic. But to be honest i like the outside view too, you see so much and the envirionment is beautifull.
When we get those new Tigers (as ZW promised us for the future) i only will have the outside view, looking if my tank didnt lost its antenna

LC

Last edited by LcSummers; 04-22-10 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 08:10 AM   #919
LcSummers
XO

Default Get well Morty

Morty get well as soon as posible.

but

We dont need a Commander who is sounding to attack. We are no longer at the cavalry (no horses, maybe yes but we have some 100 horses more under our bottom) and sounding your attack will wake up the russian frontline. No more surprise attack only low FPS.

dismissed.

Now serious:

I have mainly the same reasons as Morty wrote it down in his report.

I am concerning about my men so i like to shoot from great distances. This is my or the Tigers big advantage.

Sometimes gunner in automatic mode but not to often (X-ray eyes as morty mentioned).

Last but not least get well.

LC

Last edited by LcSummers; 04-22-10 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-22-10, 11:01 AM   #920
animal
Watch

Downloads: 0

it would be nice to see a difficulty setting to limit views to what was available, no external view and no "f5" view... but i suppose one could just unbind the keys for those if they wanted to. Sometimes I just can't resist hitting the keys for it, so you can use the extra height to see over hills

: p

I remember panzer commander had a setting for "allow external view"
it made things interesting.

My friends and myself used to hook up 2-3 keyboards and each play a position in the crew, but without separate views it was only so practical. Is there a way that one could have a multi-view set up if you had multiple monitors? I've got 3x 120hz samsung lcd's and dream of the day my 2 best friends could come over and we could play driver-gunner-commander in a crew. How much access does one have to the inner portions of the game when modding? is it limited to mapping and battles? or would it be possible to have 2 views so you could at least have a driver on one and a gunner/commander on another?

I've never tried the multiplayer but I don't think it supported multiple people in one tank... to me that would be a dream-state for a sim like this. What are the probabilities for one day having a radio operator position with the bow mg? it would be nice for the driver to have mg control at least, I think that's how panzer commander did it. It feels weird sometimes mopping up troops when you should be engaging enemy tanks with the main gun - reminds me of the accounts of kursk in the ferdinands firing mg42's down the main barrel with the gunner sighting in Russians :p
animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 02:59 PM   #921
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

I've run this mission so many times now, that I'm sticking with an earlier version with more artillery fire. I understand why it needs to be toned down for lower end pc's, but there's enough people around to test that end of it. I'm not stopping all testing, but I'm burned out on this particular Kursk mission, going to try the others that have been updated.

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 06:13 PM   #922
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
I've run this mission so many times now, that I'm sticking with an earlier version with more artillery fire. I understand why it needs to be toned down for lower end pc's, but there's enough people around to test that end of it. I'm not stopping all testing, but I'm burned out on this particular Kursk mission, going to try the others that have been updated.
Hi eddie,
What has your frames per second been on average? And do you think
the earlier version is ready for others that have the system to run it be
released as the High-end Alpha Kursk Mission one?

Thanks for all your help,
ZW
ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 01:51 AM   #923
LcSummers
XO

Default Lets make it so Lt Worff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeWolf View Post
Hey LC!
I found out for certain a few things after experimenting with different things
that I thought I should try.

One of them is to increase the virtual memory size 1 to 2 gigs.

And two was some code techniques that split up the execution load
for commands to the group of Tigers.

Both these areas have proven to work with a increase in response, but the virtual memory increase helped maintain the the fps for the whole mission run time. I found this after trying for a couple of days now to figure out why things were slowing down so much as I got closer to Village C and through this latest discovery [virtual memory increase] ended that issue very noticeably.

So tomorrow I will put up some image instruction for you if you need help in
doing that and also I wanted to show you how to see if prioaff.exe is working. But for now I am pooped out and going to bed.

So, good night all!

ZW

Hi ZW,

mentioned it earlier, my VM is more than 3000 MBs. I installed prioaff too, have only 1-2 fps more. The only thing i have is an old problem. When starting TvT, then i ll get an CTD. So before starting TvT i always have to clear cache.

Quote: and also I wanted to show you how to see if prioaff.exe is working.

Lets make it so.
I will be back later ´cause have do do my housejob, homework and taking a shower. This takes me very long you know ONE LEG JACK. with SLI crutch mode as morty said.

I´ll be back waiting for orders

Over and out

LC
Old 04-23-10, 02:47 AM   #924
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcSummers View Post
Hi ZW,

mentioned it earlier, my VM is more than 3000 MBs. I installed prioaff too, have only 1-2 fps more. The only thing i have is an old problem. When starting TvT, then i ll get an CTD. So before starting TvT i always have to clear cache.

Quote: and also I wanted to show you how to see if prioaff.exe is working.

Lets make it so.
I will be back later ´cause have do do my housejob, homework and taking a shower. This takes me very long you know ONE LEG JACK. with SLI crutch mode as morty said.

I´ll be back waiting for orders

Over and out

LC
Good mornig LC

Start TvT and the start the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+ALT+DELETE)
Then Right mouse click on the TvT exe to check the priority

Then Right mouse click on the TvT exe to see if your working all CPUs

That's it Kamerad,

Let me know if all your CPUs are checked. The the priority to RealTime
is the work prioaff.exe for sure.

Bed time for me now

ZW
Old 04-23-10, 06:11 AM   #925
LcSummers
XO

Default Something new

Quote:
Good mornig LC

Let me know if all your CPUs are checked. The the priority to RealTime
is the work prioaff.exe for sure.

Bed time for me now

ZW

Hi ZW,

must say i was surprised, didnt know that, cool learned something new.
Really COOL!

Have some questions too but first i want to answer yours.

Yes ZW started TvT (normal) and followed your instructions every CPU (4*) has been selected.

Started the other TvT (default prioaff) here two CPUs are highlited but if i want, i can select the others too.

My question is: which TvT should i select, normal or default?
Tried that with 4 CPUs but had some stuttering, seems that selecting all of them will causing stuttering when sound is increasing (more artillery sounds etc.) I dont know if i am right but it seems so.

Waiting until late afternoon to talk about this. Maybe its better to select only two or three cpus. But i will wait.

Thank you very much

LC
Old 04-23-10, 12:28 PM   #926
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Have to go back ZW, to see if it was v3 or 4 of this mission, I believe it was 3? I appreciate all that you are doing and will continue to help where I can.

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:50 PM   #927
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcSummers View Post
Hi ZW,

must say i was surprised, didnt know that, cool learned something new.
Really COOL!

Have some questions too but first i want to answer yours.

Yes ZW started TvT (normal) and followed your instructions every CPU (4*) has been selected.

Started the other TvT (default prioaff) here two CPUs are highlited but if i want, i can select the others too.

My question is: which TvT should i select, normal or default?
Tried that with 4 CPUs but had some stuttering, seems that selecting all of them will causing stuttering when sound is increasing (more artillery sounds etc.) I dont know if i am right but it seems so.

Waiting until late afternoon to talk about this. Maybe its better to select only two or three cpus. But i will wait.

Thank you very much

LC

Hi LC I wounder if you could add another "1" to the Target line in TvT's
shortcut

H:\Prioaff\prioaff.exe 3 111 "H:\Lighthouse Interactive\T34vsTiger\TvsT.exe"

The 3 11 is for two CPUs 3 111 is for three CPUs

The 3 is for Realtime which is best.

Check it out LC

ZW
Old 04-23-10, 12:53 PM   #928
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Have to go back ZW, to see if it was v3 or 4 of this mission, I believe it was 3? I appreciate all that you are doing and will continue to help where I can.
Thanks for your help eddie all the data you have pass on in your beta testing
is really been helpful

ZW
Old 04-24-10, 01:21 AM   #929
LcSummers
XO

Quote:
shortcut

The 3 is for Realtime which is best.

Check it out LC

ZW

HI ZW,

I call my TvT shortcuts TvTmod because it is modded. Here i made another copy of TvTmod shortcut and renamed it TvT_default as you showed me in that blog (prioaff).

This is the one i took to make it compatible with prioaff. THIS ONE SHOWS ME 2 CPUs.

I just made another try with my TvTmod shortcut and here it shows me 4 CPUs. Hope you understand what i mean.

LC

Last edited by LcSummers; 04-24-10 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-24-10, 02:11 AM   #930
LcSummers
XO

Quote:
shortcut