SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-20, 09:51 PM   #1
Fritz Klum
Mate

Downloads: 710
Uploads: 4
Default Returning to SH4 - Looking for advice on megamod

Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I was last active here, but I am looking to play some Silent Hunter 4 for the first time in a while, and am looking for advice on which megamod I should use.

I am familiar with TMO and RFB. I've tried both of them, and tend to prefer TMO more. Biggest thing for me is graphics - Silent Hunter 4 may be an older game, but it can still look nice with the right mods. I tended to use TMO in the past, as RFB was a bit too ''hardcore'' for my taste, and TMO had better graphics to boot.

Recently though, I've read about a mod called ''Fall of the Rising Sun," along with "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate," the latter of which I believe is a continuation of the former (please correct me if I'm wrong here.)

How does FOTRSU compare to TMO graphically? better? about the same? and how does it compare to TMO in terms of hardocre playstyle/difficulty?

I haven't played FOTRSU before, so I figured I'd ask these questions. What do you all think? should I choose FOTRSU over TMO?

any replies appreciated - thank you for taking time to read my post
Fritz Klum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 10:09 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz Klum View Post
Recently though, I've read about a mod called ''Fall of the Rising Sun," along with "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate," the latter of which I believe is a continuation of the former (please correct me if I'm wrong here.)

How does FOTRSU compare to TMO graphically? better? about the same? and how does it compare to TMO in terms of hardocre playstyle/difficulty?
welcome back, fritz.

FOTRSU is a newer mod that either RSRD or TMO resulting in better graphics. IMO, FOTRSU is easier to play that either of the two forementioned mega-mods.
and yes, FOTRSU is the next generation of FOTRS.
have fun. good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-20, 11:57 PM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Returning to SH4 - Looking for advice on megamod...

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I was last active here, but I am looking to play some Silent Hunter 4 for the first time in a while, and am looking for advice on which megamod I should use.
Welcome back, Fritz

Hopefully My suggestions will help you on this...

Quote:
I am familiar with TMO and RFB. I've tried both of them, and tend to prefer TMO more. Biggest thing for me is graphics - Silent Hunter 4 may be an older game, but it can still look nice with the right mods. I tended to use TMO in the past, as RFB was a bit too ''hardcore'' for my taste, and TMO had better graphics to boot.
I do recall having both on an older computer I had, before the 1 I am using now. I've since moved on to other mega mods, as I've heard them referred to... but can't really recall much since that was a bit back though, I do recall the catch phrase for TMO ''The galloping ghost of the Japanese coast'', iirc.

I am, in the process of with a friend of Mine, building out a beefier desktop pc, for a more hardcore gaming rig than I currently have which should really make things pop even more.

Quote:
FotRS, was the start of it & as I understand it, is an offshoot of TMO, if My sources are correct. FotRSU-EN v1.1, is the current(?) form of FotRS.. though it may be that FotRS may be for SH4 v1.4, with FotRSU-EN v1.1 being for those that have SH4 1.5 which allows for running either command of a U boat, or skippering a U.S submarine during WW2. There is a couple of other mega mods to look forward to & will list them, as well.

Quote:
How does FOTRSU compare to TMO graphically? better? about the same? and how does it compare to TMO in terms of hardcore play style/difficulty?

I haven't played FOTRSU before, so I figured I'd ask these questions. What do you all think? should I choose FOTRSU over TMO?

any replies appreciated - thank you for taking time to read my post
How does FotRSU-EN stack up to TMO...

As I pointed out earlier on, FotRS, is built off the base of TMO.. and to Me, FotRSU-EN.. is great & can only get better from there. Know that vickers03, has an add on mod that complements FotRSU-EN with better detailing for the subs & has a couple more to go to complete the set of U.S. subs. So, yes I'd highly recommend FotRSU-EN v1.1

Now..

I did mention that there were some other mega's to bear or keep in mind.. and they are:

Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters by Fifi.
This mod builds off the base of Operation Monsun + OMEGU added & like FotRSU-EN, takes it & makes it greater...

This of course is the U boat arm of the conflict only & to Me gives it a feel of SH3... on steroids.

With SH4 the graphics capability are more refined & enhanced than when SH3 was released.. and that's a good thing. With this, even the subs got an upgrade which looks marrvvveloouussss... simply marvelous. Fifi took Ahnenerbe's "TKSS18 German U-Boats Compilation" which gives them a real feel look, and converted that mod over for use in this mega mod for SH4 & it's nice.

My recommendation: This would be very well worth your time investment in adding to the line up & just to inform you... don't look at trying to add it to the same SH4 mods folder for FotRSU-EN. It's better to have a 2nd copy (or however many copies you need for mega modding out) of SH4 to use this with. hopefully you know how to make other copies of SH4. & using multiSH4 to create a separate save game folder for them that you chose to roll with.

We Dive at Dawn... have not yet used this yet, but am considering real hard of adding into My SH4 games folder & running it.

This smaller yet mega mod in & of itself, sets up for skippering Brit subs. From what I've seen on it.. it looks to be interesting. Can't really strongly recommend it but it would definitely be worth keeping on the list of mega's to see of grabbing, later on. So I definitely give it a

saving this for last, but.. definitely not least even if it mentioned of last, is...

Climb Mt. Niitaka: This (from what I can tell of) looks to be a mega like FotRSU-EN, but from the other side of the coin, as it were.

Instead of skippering a U.S. sub/s you instead would be in command of the IJN line up of subs.

As it goes, this 1 is not in release yet, as it is still being worked on (to the best of My knowledge, that is. Have not seen any other chatter on it for a bit.. but I mention it, so that you are aware of its existence & can then keep a weather eye on the horizon for it. )

Hopefully this has NOT fried your brain cells, has been helpful and informative for you & left you ready to dive in after them ready to sink some shipping

On a side note.. if you'd like.. I could forward to you My set up of FotRSU-EN v1.1 & Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters mod mix that I use.

Just hit Me up via email here & I'll send them to you.

Mad Mardigan

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 05-26-20 at 08:48 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote