SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-20, 05:44 PM   #1
GreyLynx
Watch

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Nuke Patch 0.23a EOT Bug

There is something wrong with the control of the engines when using the new "Both engines 10 slower" or "Both engines 10 faster".

1. When going at Full speed ahead, selecting "Both engines 10 faster" won't make the engines go any faster!

2. From both engines at Half speed ahead, selecting "Both engines 10 slower" on the Port EOT will reduce both engines RPM by 10. Clicking on the Port EOT "Half speed ahead" will bring the Port engine RPM back to normal but the Stb engine RPM remains low!

3. From both engines at Half speed ahead, selecting "Both engines 10 faster" on the Stb EOT will increase both engines RPM by 10. Clicking on the Stb EOT "Half speed ahead" will bring the Stb engine RPM back to normal but the Port engine RPM remains hight!

I noticed that using Shift + Left Click to select "Both engines 10 slower" or "Both engines 10 faster" has the same result as using a simple Left Click. But using Shift + Left Click to revert to the normal speed will work where as the simple Left Click won't.

IMHO if a simple Left Click works to set the EOT slower/faster control, then simple Left Click should also work to go back to normal speed.
GreyLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 06:06 PM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

1. Haha, ok, full speed is FULL speed, there ain't no faster than full. That's like driving a car with your foot to the floor, their ain't no more.

2. good catch

3. good catch, thanks
Old 05-10-20, 09:21 AM   #3
GreyLynx
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
1. Haha, ok, full speed is FULL speed, there ain't no faster than full. That's like driving a car with your foot to the floor, their ain't no more.
That makes sense. But I thought maybe you could get 110% out of your engine for a short period of time with the risk of blowing up a piston or a fuse. Oh well ...
Old 05-11-20, 09:03 AM   #4
PeterS
Swabbie

Downloads: 83

Hi,

somewhat related, the bots speed control also seems wrong since the last patch. When I click "10 slower" on the bot engine control, it will set engines 10 slower and then immediately after 10 faster. Probably bot control sets first the port engine (slower) and then the starport engine (faster), so the end result is faster.

Would be nice if:
1) bot engine control offers both 10 slower and 10 faster.
2) bot engine control does what it says instead of the opposite :-)

I applaud the new feature because it makes Ausdampfen easier by being able to finetune speed up and down instead of only down. But if that worked as intented with the bots as well, it would be even better for the solo captains.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-20, 09:14 AM   #5
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLynx View Post
There is something wrong with the control of the engines when using the new "Both engines 10 slower" or "Both engines 10 faster".

2. From both engines at Half speed ahead, selecting "Both engines 10 slower" on the Port EOT will reduce both engines RPM by 10. Clicking on the Port EOT "Half speed ahead" will bring the Port engine RPM back to normal but the Stb engine RPM remains low!

3. From both engines at Half speed ahead, selecting "Both engines 10 faster" on the Stb EOT will increase both engines RPM by 10. Clicking on the Stb EOT "Half speed ahead" will bring the Stb engine RPM back to normal but the Port engine RPM remains hight!

I noticed that using Shift + Left Click to select "Both engines 10 slower" or "Both engines 10 faster" has the same result as using a simple Left Click. But using Shift + Left Click to revert to the normal speed will work where as the simple Left Click won't.

IMHO if a simple Left Click works to set the EOT slower/faster control, then simple Left Click should also work to go back to normal speed.
How is that wrong on 2 and 3? If you want both engines to return to half speed you use shift to set both to the same. If you set one one EOT then you get a differential RPM. Perfectly normal and reasonable and may even be useful in a certain case.
Old 05-11-20, 10:47 AM   #6
GreyLynx
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Hi,
Would be nice if:
1) bot engine control offers both 10 slower and 10 faster.
Your solution makes perfect sense, it removes any ambiguity. But it requires a modification to the "physical" EOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
How is that wrong on 2 and 3? If you want both engines to return to half speed you use shift to set both to the same. If you set one one EOT then you get a differential RPM. Perfectly normal and reasonable and may even be useful in a certain case.
Before the patch, if only one EOT was set at "both engines 10 slower", then all you had to do was to reset that specific EOT back to its original position in order to bring both engines back up 10 RPM to their original speed.

If both EOTs were set at "both engines 10 slower", which in this case both engines were reduced by 20 RPM, then you had to use the shift key to reset both engines back to a "normal" speed.

With the patch, one EOT is used for "both engines 10 RPM faster" and the other one for "both engines 10 RPM slower". If you want to revert back to "normal" speed, one would normally assume that all you have to do is bring the specific EOT back to its "normal" position as was the case before the patch, since the other EOT is already in its "normal" position.

My suggestion is to make the EOTs work as before, but with 10 RPM faster/slower instead of 10/20 RPM slower.
Old 05-11-20, 05:33 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Note: I never got the chance to try .23a. My experience is based on the latest version .23b.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLynx View Post

Before the patch, if only one EOT was set at "both engines 10 slower", then all you had to do was to reset that specific EOT back to its original position in order to bring both engines back up 10 RPM to their original speed.

If both EOTs were set at "both engines 10 slower", which in this case both engines were reduced by 20 RPM, then you had to use the shift key to reset both engines back to a "normal" speed.
This was reasonable thinking if you go by the photos of U-995 which had both port and starboard EOT showing the option to go slower. Tactically it makes no sense to go only slower so I always did find it a peculiar option. There is good reason to consider this is an artifact of replicating by the museum. Unfortunately the devs fell into that trap. If you shift click this option it is apparently done twice, once by each side. Well, lets just say it's good the devs reconsidered the EOT operation, now it makes more sense.

Quote:
With the patch, one EOT is used for "both engines 10 RPM faster" and the other one for "both engines 10 RPM slower". If you want to revert back to "normal" speed, one would normally assume that all you have to do is bring the specific EOT back to its "normal" position as was the case before the patch, since the other EOT is already in its "normal" position.

My suggestion is to make the EOTs work as before, but with 10 RPM faster/slower instead of 10/20 RPM slower.
The settings on either EOT are applicable only to that side. With one of the fields being an exception, those are to go 10 RPM slower on each engine with the port EOT, and 10 RPM faster on each engines with the starboard EOT. If you leftclick any of the other setting on one side, it will set that side to the RPM or mode it results to. So it should not return to normal for both sides with just a left click on one side. So if you want both engines to return to normal RPM you either shift-click one of them so they both go, or you first set both to attention and then normal left-click them (in succession) to the desired EOT speed. The latter option would signal the crew to not forget the one already on the desired setting, so this would be the most clear and not leave room for interpretation. Besides, real crew didn't have a shift key to signal both EOTs. They had to move both handles to indicate it was for both sides.

I don't see anything wrong with the current implementation (after the patch .23b). You even have a quality of life feature: clicking multiple times on faster/slower will automatically insert the attention setting and land on the faster/slower option.

Last edited by Pisces; 05-12-20 at 02:34 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote