SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-03-20, 06:32 AM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Learning......

Hello captains of the fourth class of SH,

You are captains, I'm only half a student!

In the fourth exercise of the SH4 "submarine school" I am placed in the vicinity of a secured flotilla (they add that I am in a favorable position) and that I have to sink 10,000 tons. Well, no idea of course ...

What I'm asking (looking for): I would like to see good youtube movies or .pdf's, where I can see or read basic actions.

You know, when I watch youtube video's I see the teachers at lightning speed draw lines, make circles without telling HOW and WHY they do that. They show WHAT they are doing but not WHY they do that.

Are there somewhere .pdf's or something like that I can study? Or of course video made by someone who realizes that he has students in front of him ..

easy

P.S. I even can't find any ingame lesson movie's. Or, am I blind?
Old 08-03-20, 08:06 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Submarine School is about it, and the User's Manual doesn't even discuss those. Basically, the manual will walk you through a few things, but it is mostly one of those generalized "manuals" that have no details about them...

Big question for anyone wanting to point you at something is for them to know what you are playing. Do you have a Stock install of SH4 aka: Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific, and whether or not it is v1,5, which has the Uboat Missions in it. If you have mods activated, which are they, and where do you have your game installed.

In the meantime, be sure and consult Rockin Robbins' Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks links, as well as THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <... links for anything that catches your eye...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 08:41 AM   #3
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 222
Uploads: 0

What I did and sometimes still do is go on a mission and ignore where it wants you to go and just sail off.
Then go through the icons in the menu at the bottom and see what they do and try them out, it's better to know beforehand rather than when under attack and panicking not knowing what to do.

even little things like going to periscope depth, see how long it takes, crash diving etc, slowing down, speeding up, finding out afterwards you could have deployed decoys, little things that may just help you survive.

learn what the map things do, try them out, I still forget and remember afterwards.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 01:03 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

I found Rockin' Robbins YouTube videos to be very helpful... Stopping and replaying a section can be quite useful.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 02:33 AM   #5
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@ propbeanie:

Thanks for reaction.
My SH4 is installed on D: \ games, it is v1.5 so Uboat Missions, no mods.

easy
Old 08-05-20, 05:22 AM   #6
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Thanks for all the above advice!

I have found three lessons that give me great confidence in my further future as a adspirant submarine captain!

1) Google: "jerm138 subsim.com" You get a PDF that gives you a very first insight into all those weird skewed lines and circles that are on a plotting map. You will say, "Oh, that's why!" this is really a first introduction!

2) Then the "High Realism Tutorial" from CapnScurvy, you can find it in the downloads section of Subsim. If you browse that, you will say "yes, but how do I find a ship that sinks just like that"!

3) CapScurfy also has a solution for this. He designed a mission (Practice High Realism Mission), specially made for the above tutorial! You will find it as one of the last items on the downloads section of Subsim.

Of course, the above is anything but complete. If anyone here knows more "really very first beginner articles", please fill me in!

Last edited by easy; 08-05-20 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-06-20, 05:49 AM   #7
kapura
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Tutorial missions aren't well made (like better half of this game and it's one of my favourite games xD) AFAIK on the beginning of this convoy attack tutorial there are already 3 destroyers aware of your presence and heading your direction on full speed.

Ingame tutorials are totally skippable when it comes to combat, basic navigation is quite easy too. SH3 was my first game in the genre and i've jumped straight to campaign, SH4 is very similar on many aspects. If you are going to play with manual targeting and without auto drawing targets on the map, then ingame help is not enough anyway. If You want to play with auto targeting and autoupdating map, You shouldn't need much help anyway :P

Remember your enemy is more likely to spot your periscope, than hearing you on hydrophones in vanilla :P

=========

one additional thing. SH4 has some crazy game breaking bugs. One of it is creating task forces consisting of hundreds of ships - it most likely is going to kick you to desktop, but if you happen to save the game when this thing already spawned, most likely you won't be able to load it. Use at least two different save slots during campaign using one after another on different encounters

Last edited by kapura; 08-06-20 at 06:20 AM.
kapura is offline   Reply With Quote