SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-13, 08:37 PM   #901
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Also, do you know what caliber the gun below is? I'm guessing well below 88mm...?

I'm thinking I gave you a link to a file that explained several WWI era guns like this once?

7.5cm gun made by Krupp. Was made to fold away under the deck.

Last edited by Madox58; 09-02-13 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-02-13, 08:54 PM   #902
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
I'm thinking I gave you a link to a file that explained several WWI era guns like this once?

75mm gun made by Krupp. Was made to fold away under the deck.
Thanks! It's an interesting little weapon - the barrel's much shorter than most of the WWI submarine guns I've seen. The USN shortened the barrels of sub-mounted weapons in WWII to improve accuracy (at short range, I guess?) Maybe the same principle was applied here.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-13, 09:00 PM   #903
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Thanks!
I'll see if I still have the file but I know it had an image of that same gun being fired from a prone position!
It was folded down to the deck I remember that much!

And it was back around page 45 that I sent a link to stuff.
Old 09-02-13, 09:08 PM   #904
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

I just had a thought. Shouldn't this be in the SH4 ATO forum or is that only for when the mod is done? Also did WW1 U-Boats have conning tower upgrades?
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 04:05 PM   #905
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here's a couple more images of the Krupp 7.5.

Old 09-03-13, 07:11 PM   #906
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
I just had a thought. Shouldn't this be in the SH4 ATO forum or is that only for when the mod is done? Also did WW1 U-Boats have conning tower upgrades?
Originally, I was considering adding Pacific action to this mod (yes, the German Navy was active there in WWI). Also, this forum gets more traffic than the ATO forum.

WWI U-Boats did get conning tower upgrades. If you look at the original plans for U-20 (which sank "Lusitania") and photos taken after May 1915, you'll notice a lot of changes to the conning tower. Other well-documented U-Boats like U-35 also show changes to their conning towers over time.

Thank you for your pictures, Privateer. It will be easy to use a controller via S3ditor & make this gun invisible underwater, so I may even model it!
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-13, 07:36 PM   #907
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally, I was considering adding Pacific action to this mod (yes, the German Navy was active there in WWI). Also, this forum gets more traffic than the ATO forum.

WWI U-Boats did get conning tower upgrades. If you look at the original plans for U-20 (which sank "Lusitania") and photos taken after May 1915, you'll notice a lot of changes to the conning tower. Other well-documented U-Boats like U-35 also show changes to their conning towers over time.

Thank you for your pictures, Privateer. It will be easy to use a controller via S3ditor & make this gun invisible underwater, so I may even model it!
Thank you for the response which brings up another question. If you can get the conning towers to upgrade with out breaking the game like Op Monsun did do you think you'll ever fix that mods conning tower upgrade bug?(I really like the mod but the fact that when you get a conning tower upgrade it completely breaks the game ruins the fun of it.)
Old 09-04-13, 01:13 PM   #908
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

I believe the Modders here have done things that fold away when you dive the boat.

This Gun may have only been a design idea along with the retractable 8.8 around 1913. All the images I've seen of both were always a technical type shot for techie manual type print.

It would still be Cool to be able to start with this type gun and work up to the bigger guns as an option.

Look for the 7.5 mountain guns for images that show details of the base gun breach and such. I can find the links again if you need them.
Old 09-04-13, 02:50 PM   #909
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Who cares? I just want to see this mod come to fruition! If I have to go to the Atlantic to do it that's a small price to pay.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 05:18 PM   #910
c13Garrison
Ensign

Downloads: 14

I just want someone to wave a magic wand or use a genie wish to give iamb a staff of 20 and budget of millions to complete this, With the option to play the German East Asia Squadron!!

It would be so awesome to commerce raid with the squadron, defeat or avoid British hunters, and spend your renown to restock with ammo or coal, and eventually have to make your break back to Germany- where if you had been specTacularly successful you could spend renown on adding new ships to your squadron, and then going out again!

...ah well, I can dream. and I will be terribly pleased just to operate in a WWI environment.
c13Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-13, 08:35 PM   #911
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Quote:
Originally Posted by c13Garrison View Post
I just want someone to wave a magic wand or use a genie wish to give iamb a staff of 20 and budget of millions to complete this, With the option to play the German East Asia Squadron!!

It would be so awesome to commerce raid with the squadron, defeat or avoid British hunters, and spend your renown to restock with ammo or coal, and eventually have to make your break back to Germany- where if you had been specTacularly successful you could spend renown on adding new ships to your squadron, and then going out again!

...ah well, I can dream. and I will be terribly pleased just to operate in a WWI environment.
Why not take it to the next level and have it to where if you do enough damage it can effect the outcome of the war?
Old 09-04-13, 09:39 PM   #912
c13Garrison
Ensign

Downloads: 14

It would be awesome if profound success or failure could alter the way the game played, but everything I've read or heard says that would be tantamount to writing a whole new game.

When I have my millions I'll get to work on that.
c13Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 01:04 AM   #913
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
When I have my millions I'll get to work on that.
Fortunately, it doesn't cost us anything to dream.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 01:58 AM   #914
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Mr Privateer has answered yes it was 7.5 cm, and very handy weapon indeed, it was called the milk maid by the crews for reasons lost in time perhaps because it kneeled down? who can know now?

We can add some pacific action, would love to see the Far East Squadron do its work under Von Spee ...but we wont ask you to do more than you can for now. so far it has been amazing to watch.

Von Spee's Squadron leaving Valapriso:

German Vice Admiral von Spee's cruiser squadron leaving Valparaiso, Chile, circa 3 November 1914, following the Battle of Coronel. The German ships are in the distance, with the armored cruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau in the lead, followed by light cruiser Nürnberg. Chilean Navy warships in the middle distance include (from left to right): cruisers Esmeralda, O'Higgins and Blanco Encalda and old battleship Capitan Prat.

Grandfather did action in the pacific as well, the German fleet had radio stations all over the Pacific and he was servicing them until things got hot. His ship was VERY hot in the tropics, they rigged wind scuttles to bring in air but imagine what the poor sub men suffered in the cold. they were hardy men indeed back then. He knew Scheer, was friends with Count Von Luckner, and some of the other admirals of those actions, and he had their books in his collectoin and i was raised on stories from then so if you have specific questions i may be able to help.

the sailormen are very good, i agree the modablity of SH4 is very good, it lies just before technical upgrades to both computers and software made it harder and harder to mod things.

I have contacts in Germany who can help us get you info when you have questions, so keep posting them as they come up and we will do what we can.

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 09-05-13 at 02:10 AM.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-13, 09:28 AM   #915
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
and spend your renown to restock with ammo or coal,
The whole concept of "spending renown" is bogus. You think that when a sub returned to port they said "you don't have enough renown to be resupplied with torpedoes?" Or maybe they would give you old torpedoes instead of the best available just because you didn't have enough renown? They going to refuse to give you enough fuel and just park your boat? Don't make me laugh.

That's why I use my Cheap and Early Torpedoes mod. Unfortunately it does change the dates torpedoes are available (I have to change that back and re-release as Cheap Torpedoes and include the new Mark 23s in there too!

I was never much for modding but I seem to be nibbling around the edges now...
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote