Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Old 04-15-23, 05:39 AM   #467
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-23, 02:42 PM   #468
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
This rocket kettle looks pretty useful.

I immediately fell in love with that thing when you showed it, I already have a rocket stove. I got this one, too.

FYI: Brexit does not hinder deliveries from Britain to Germany like in the early Brexit day, from order to delivery only four days passed. Ordered via German Amazon, delivery from and by British company via DPD

Why should I show the thing boiling and cooking, others have done that alraedy. I wanted to quickly show the many options you have with this set that weighs 2.2 kg in total (I got the steel version, there is also aluminium kit). I simply like much clever solution packages. And its much lighter and easier to handle than the rocket stove, you can easier light this one in between to just have some hot water for coffee. But you could cock with this as well, if need be. Brilliant kit! Manufacturing quality feels well in the hands.

The kettle holds 1.6 l max. There are two smaller ones as well, the smallest holds just 0.6 l.

Old 04-18-23, 03:23 PM   #469
Skybird
Soaring

Four or five years ago I posted on rocket stoves, and my Versa Ecozoom. They are a great prepper item to have. Good stoves are very fuel efficient. Some can also burn coal without making a total mess (the Ecozoom can). All should be able to burn just any biomass, not just wood.

Back then I made even a video on mine, but I was relatively new to filming and made some mistakes, namely that every scene was too long. It should have been just a quarter of the length it had. It was all too long, and thats why I do not link it anymore. Instead this video by another guy, it shows the thing in action. Hieght is 30cm, weight is 6.6 kg. Not for trekking and moving as long as you do not use a van or truck, but for base camps and prepping.

Great model, I use exactly this one. Flame stays stable for ver ylong time. I used it half a dozen times over the past 3, 4 years, just for fun. Its great kit.

I use a cast-iron pan on this one and also got a Dutch oven. I do not use coal, it makes too much soot. With wood this burns just very well and is WAY easier and quicker to clean!
Old 04-18-23, 03:58 PM   #470
Skybird
Soaring

Extremely good illustration and explanation of a not easy technique to make fire with nothing but a knife and wood. In German its callede "fire-drilling". The guy speaks little but then a very good and well-pronounced Austrian German and so Google translates this well into English subtitles, if you activate them.

Best video on this matter I have ever seen. The guy runs an outdoor survival school in Austria.

I know from own experience that this technique works, but is not easy to aquire. Better you always have flintstone and a sharp-edged steel with you. Thats a breeze in comparison.
Old 05-01-23, 02:19 PM   #471
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Icon14

After taking a year off........

Steve1989MREinfo is BACK with two new vids.

Shiek Yerbouty cassette on the shelf, check.
Spoon solo at 9:01, check.
"Nice hiss", check.

ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-23, 06:56 PM   #472
Skybird
Soaring

I once was told by a German vet that MREs provided to troops are meant to fight the enemy with once weapon ammunition has run out.
Old 05-01-23, 08:45 PM   #473
ET2SN
ET2/SS

The CCAR prototype ration is interesting in how its processed, but it isn't something you would want to store in the old bunker.

Its formulated to keep you active, being produced for recon and mobile (tank) units. That's great when you need to cover 10-30 miles a day on two hour's sleep. In "hunker down" mode, it just means you'll be wondering why you can't fall asleep.
Old 05-01-23, 08:53 PM   #474
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
In "hunker down" mode, it just means you'll be wondering why you can't fall asleep.

Or crap.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-23, 11:34 PM   #475
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

The last article I read about MREs gave the edge to France. I'm surprised they don't include a small white cloth napkin.

Old 05-19-23, 02:42 PM   #476
ET2SN
ET2/SS

I've posted about these things several times, here's a better look at what they are:

What this guy doesn't mention- they have a ridiculously long shelf life (figure on a couple of years) at room temperature, which makes them really handy for stuff like emergencies and power outages (note the high sodium numbers). They are also pretty freaking cheap, so you can load up the shelves in your kitchen without putting a dent in your finances.

The chili he reviews is my personal go-to. I have a feeling he didn't check the date code because that's about as old as I would trust it. The normal color is the same as Hormel canned chili. My next favorite is the turkey, stuffing, and gravy. Its great hot, but also edible at room temperature. Perfect for that Thanksgiving you spend in a culvert or basement.

All of these meals are pre-cooked. As long as you have a clean spoon, you have chow whether its hot or cold. That said, I would avoid anything with mashed taters or a white sauce/gravy like its the plague. Its OK at best only if its been microwaved, however it IS edible.

Bon Apatite!
Old 06-04-23, 01:09 PM   #477
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

A lot of processed and or prepackaged foods here. But has anyone ever considered salting and dry aging meat? I’ve just recently gave it a shot and it turns out pretty easy to do and tastes good too.

There is the primitive way doing it with just pure salt.

Or you can try out a few recipes which are little more involved. Either way it’s an easy way to preserve meat.

https://twoguysandacooler.com/calabr...rk-tenderloin/

This is the book that was recommended to me.

The River Cottage Curing and Smoking Handbook: [A Cookbook] (River Cottage Handbooks) Hardcover – April 14, 2015
by Steven Lamb (Author), Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Introduction)

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 07:54 AM   #478
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Following twitter status fits very well here in this thread

https://twitter.com/Iben_Denmark/sta...60869428281346

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 12:14 PM   #479
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Marcus, it all comes down to common freaking sense.

Having $12,000 of high tech "kit" only means that you won't be able to carry all of it. A collection of buck knives and broad swords are worth "dick".
The same goes for those neat-o high caliber sniper rifles. Just find a light weight single shot .22 rifle (open sites) for taking down small game.

Learn when and how to bug out. Learn when and how to hunker down.
Learn how to move so all of the other survivors aren't constantly trying to blast you.

Some basic leadership experience can go a long way. Figure out how to put together a small group of like-minded people so you can maximize your chances.
Old 06-05-23, 01:17 PM   #480
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Marcus, it all comes down to common freaking sense.

Having $12,000 of high tech "kit" only means that you won't be able to carry all of it. A collection of buck knives and broad swords are worth "dick".
The same goes for those neat-o high caliber sniper rifles. Just find a light weight single shot .22 rifle (open sites) for taking down small game.

Learn when and how to bug out. Learn when and how to hunker down.
Learn how to move so all of the other survivors aren't constantly trying to blast you.

Some basic leadership experience can go a long way. Figure out how to put together a small group of like-minded people so you can maximize your chances.
I'm from the generation where my Mom learned me how to cook-From scratch so to say and how to bake bread. I also had a Father who learned me how to hold a hammer and a screwdriver in the right hand.

It's easy to buy bread today than bake it myself-Yea I know lazy.

If I shall buy a .22 rifle I need permission from our Local police office.
Only weapon I can buy when above 18 years of age is an air rifle

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival