SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-21, 03:49 PM   #1
Nisse_thepear
Swabbie

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0
gear Editing soundfiles

Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes nothing.
I recently decided to mod the soundfiles, most of the files are from other mods but I ended up modifying a couple of them myself with Audacity.

Thing is, the sound files I edited myself don't play in game and are replaced with silence.
Is there a way to fix this or am I doing something wrong?
Nisse_thepear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 09:33 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisse_thepear View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to post but here goes nothing.
I recently decided to mod the soundfiles, most of the files are from other mods but I ended up modifying a couple of them myself with Audacity.

Thing is, the sound files I edited myself don't play in game and are replaced with silence.
Is there a way to fix this or am I doing something wrong?
I think with any sound files... (music ones, don't count in this assessment here.. ) like... a crew man repeating confirm of an order given, like... 1/3 ahead... is part of a scripting segment in game.

If I am correct in that assessment.. it would require that script being edited to know that you have added in the sound files that you've edited.. would be My guess here.

Am sure that someone more... knowledgeable about such, will be along to either confirm or shoot down My assessment.

M. M.

Old 06-20-21, 04:20 AM   #3
Nisse_thepear
Swabbie

Thanks for replying!

The files I edited myself were:
P16_#oil_explosion.wav
secondary_bomb_explosion.waw

They have the same name as the previous files, replaced them via JSGME. Since all the other soundfiles that I replaced with files that wern't edited by me worked - I suspect something went wrong when I exported the two files i edited myself.
Old 06-20-21, 05:31 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Thanks for replying!

The files I edited myself were:
P16_#oil_explosion.wav
secondary_bomb_explosion.waw

They have the same name as the previous files, replaced them via JSGME. Since all the other soundfiles that I replaced with files that wern't edited by me worked - I suspect something went wrong when I exported the two files i edited myself.
Open a file that has not been edited. You'll see the waveform window. On the left of that is the information for the file. Note that it will usually show 44.1kHz at 32-bit float. That information however, is how Audacity opened the file. Most of the files in the game are 16-bit fixed, and you have to match that. You have to match the bit-depth. Sometimes a mono file will display as 22050 hz while "stereo" (two channels) will show as 44100. That is one in the same thing. But you should match the games file, whether mono or stereo. You also cannot exceed certain lengths time-wise with some of those files. The "Ambient" sounds can generally be longer, but a lot of the sound effects are only 2-3 seconds in length, while other sounds are 10-12 seconds. You have to stay close to the original length of most files in the game. What the file was originally is what you want to match all around in general. Open the files you edited in Audacity again, edit them to length, then when you export to wav, make sure the bit-depth is 16-bit fixed. That's what my guess is to what the issue is for you.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-21, 08:47 AM   #5
Nisse_thepear
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Open a file that has not been edited. You'll see the waveform window. On the left of that is the information for the file. Note that it will usually show 44.1kHz at 32-bit float. That information however, is how Audacity opened the file. Most of the files in the game are 16-bit fixed, and you have to match that. You have to match the bit-depth. Sometimes a mono file will display as 22050 hz while "stereo" (two channels) will show as 44100. That is one in the same thing. But you should match the games file, whether mono or stereo. You also cannot exceed certain lengths time-wise with some of those files. The "Ambient" sounds can generally be longer, but a lot of the sound effects are only 2-3 seconds in length, while other sounds are 10-12 seconds. You have to stay close to the original length of most files in the game. What the file was originally is what you want to match all around in general. Open the files you edited in Audacity again, edit them to length, then when you export to wav, make sure the bit-depth is 16-bit fixed. That's what my guess is to what the issue is for you.
Changing the bit-float to 16 bit, the wavelength 22050 Hz and exporting it as a mono soundfile solved it!
Thanks alot man!
Old 06-20-21, 02:32 PM   #6
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Changing the bit-float to 16 bit, the wavelength 22050 Hz and exporting it as a mono soundfile solved it!
Thanks alot man!
So, is the result good in game ?
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-21, 06:04 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Thanks alot man!
Excellent. You are more than welcome - but you have to pay back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I think someone wants a mini-mod...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 06:39 PM   #8
Nisse_thepear
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
They sound great! I can upload the soundfiles on mega if you want them!
Old 07-18-21, 11:21 PM   #9
DirkRgb
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Default Soundfiles Mod Grammophone/Music

Hello,

just updated part of my Soundfiles for music and the grammophome with 30thies music.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/omleqmj4w...6Ji4Aqj6a?dl=0

Feel free to use

For those who don´t know how to do: Just put ang .ogg file into the music folder and rename equal to original-file. For grammophe files use mp3.
DirkRgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-21, 02:42 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

DirkRgb! after a long silent run...some tunes!!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-21, 05:33 PM   #11
Deepslick
Seaman

Downloads: 346

Hi. In the soundfolder there is a sh.sdl file. Is that a configuration file for the sounds and how can I open sh.sdl?

Im looking for a way to make the game play some sounds louder. All my sound sliders are on full but there are some kind of sound I would like to tinker with. Thanks for help.
Deepslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-21, 11:53 PM   #12
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepslick View Post
Hi. In the soundfolder there is a sh.sdl file. Is that a configuration file for the sounds and how can I open sh.sdl?

Im looking for a way to make the game play some sounds louder. All my sound sliders are on full but there are some kind of sound I would like to tinker with. Thanks for help.

skwas' S3D - Silent 3ditor
Old 09-10-21, 07:37 AM   #13
Deepslick
Seaman

Downloads: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post

skwas' S3D - Silent 3ditor

Thank you, that did exactly what I needed.
Deepslick is offline   Reply With Quote