SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-20-24, 02:55 PM   #1
ChrisPhoenix
Bosun

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Need help with ship identification

I haven't played Wolfpack in a very long time. Now with the new patch out and the recognition manual fixed, i tried to get back into it and practice a little bit. I was always bad at identifying ships in Wolfpack because, i don't know, i am blind on one eye and wearing an eyepatch on the other doesn't help...
But right now i am really struggling, especially at nighttimes and greater windspeeds. Uzo and periscope are shaking like crazy even when submerged, i find it hard to get a clear view at targets, let alone measure distance and speed. So my question for the veterans: how do you guys do it? Is there some kind of procedure you have? Any tipps or tricks?

thanks in advance!
ChrisPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-24, 07:40 PM   #2
Flubbo
Swabbie

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPhoenix View Post
I haven't played Wolfpack in a very long time. Now with the new patch out and the recognition manual fixed, i tried to get back into it and practice a little bit. I was always bad at identifying ships in Wolfpack because, i don't know, i am blind on one eye and wearing an eyepatch on the other doesn't help...
But right now i am really struggling, especially at nighttimes and greater windspeeds. Uzo and periscope are shaking like crazy even when submerged, i find it hard to get a clear view at targets, let alone measure distance and speed. So my question for the veterans: how do you guys do it? Is there some kind of procedure you have? Any tipps or tricks?

thanks in advance!
  • Hold LMB to stabilize when you are on a fixed optic
  • go into your video settings and increase your brightness and or use external software like Nvidia Control Panel (depending on graphics card) to improve gamma
  • play during June 20 in Norwegian sea (its midsummer and forth north on the hemisphere. the sun wont set so far north and nights will be brighter yet the AI will still think it is a normal night) This setting works as a training environment, it will eventually be patched out but make use of it for as long as it works
  • maybe there is something in this guide that can help you? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2871279241
Old 01-21-24, 04:56 AM   #3
ChrisPhoenix
Bosun

Downloads: 7

OMFG!!! After all this time and i never even realized you could hold LMB to stabilze optics! That alone helps a lot! Although i am a bit embarrased now Thank you so much!
I will look into the guide as soon as i find the time. I'm pretty sure i can learn a lot.
ChrisPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-24, 12:10 PM   #4
Lignite
Watch

Downloads: 4

I have to get close enough to confirm the hull type, meaning front, middle, rear or flat topped hull forms. At that range, it is fairly easy to see the stack location (rear, mid) and the superstructures, and with those things narrowed down you (can be done fairly quickly with practice) one can usually deduce the correct mast types from the remaining choices.

I believe I learned the word deduction in highschool and its meaning applies well to the manual, eliminate the ships that are NOT out there, soon the only one left is the one that IS there. So says Sherlock Holmes.
Old 01-21-24, 01:17 PM   #5
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

Playing with low or nil wind-speed will also help, as if submerged, the uboat may be kept at periscope depth (PD) but the OP (observation periscope) will remain usable. If the waves are high, then maintaining a safe PD will usually mean the OP is only intermittantly usable. Having another player on the OP (or UZO if surfaced) will aid ship identification, as you now have two or possibly three players working on it! It doesn't make it easier, but it does reduce the workload...
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote