Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 04-25-10, 08:41 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default 20% saving: Happy Birthday SBP

SBP celebrates it's tenth anniversary. For that reason, until August this year all copies sell for $US 100 instead of $US 125. They say it is until the next (payable) update then will be released.

Further information at eSim's website.

Old 04-25-10, 09:01 AM   #2
Chucky
Planesman

Downloads: 90

In another thread I said this was expensive,but when you consider what you get for your money maybe I was wrong.
How many other games/simulations are still offering support/patches after 10 years?
Anyway,at $100 it's even better value if modern tank warfare is your thing
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-10, 09:04 PM   #3
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

It runs quite bad on my system(Vista).

The stock missions that came with the CDs are fine but some of the user created ones in fact many of the user created ones are hogging the system. Somehow I got the feeling that the game may not be optimized for smooth performance. I upgraded my PC and the performance issue was still there. OTHERWISE it's a great game. I just hope it would run smoother.
Old 04-27-10, 02:31 AM   #4
Chucky
Planesman

I found it runs great on all the O/S's I have used.XP 32,Vista 64 and currently Win 7 64.
I know I had the most problems with games and Vista 64,but never with SB Pro.

*Edit* Oops,I just read all your post,I have never tried user created missions.My bad
Old 04-27-10, 06:24 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

I remember that over the last 2 years I read many reports in esim forums that Vista users are effected by massive slowdowns - some of them, but not all.

As I recall it, the problem definitely is Vista, not SBP. Vista is also reported to possibly cause slowdowns and system "kills" with quite a significant number of titles.

I also seem to recall that eSim has recommended not to use Vista anyway, some longer time ago - not only with regard to SBP. But this I just tell by memory.

I am running SBP under XP on a P-IV/3 GHz with 2 GB RAM and an AGP 7950 with 512 MB at 1680x1050 - with frames in the high 20s up to middle-30s. It always ran smooth for me, even with 1 GB and AGP-7800GS 256 MB.

P.S. Some user made maps are extremely detailled areas of cities with many roads and houses. Such killer maps indeed can causea noticable drop in frames. I remember that this is the case with some of the recreations of American cities near US Forts. I avoid such maps. But it is rare that this happens - out of the blue I could not name a signle mission or map by title, I just remember that I passed on three or four such user-made missions over the past 4 years.
Old 04-29-10, 02:11 AM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

Will the game run on 7? If so I might breathe a new life into it once I got a new system.
Old 04-29-10, 02:34 AM   #7
Chucky
Planesman

The game runs fine on Win 7. I use 7 (64bit).
Old 04-29-10, 02:39 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Maybe you will need to update your Codemeter software, if you have an older version on your dongle. The sim itself is reported to run happily under Win7.
Old 04-29-10, 05:47 AM   #9
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Maybe you will need to update your Codemeter software, if you have an older version on your dongle. The sim itself is reported to run happily under Win7.
I did but it didn't help.
Old 04-29-10, 05:57 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
I did but it didn't help.
Assuming by "didn't help" you do mean slow frames and not failing installation, the dongle is not the cause of system slowdowns like yours, it only can cause non-working installations that fail to function alltogether if the software is too old for the version of SBP that is running. I fear the only remedy for you that offers a promising perspective is to kick the most likely cause of your problems: Vista. Bad performance has been reported on not rare occasions when SBP was running under Vista. Vista is also held responsible for bad system performance in general, and with quite a lot of games. There are people who upgraded both hardware and OS, just to see their system performance dropping below the previous marks although they had much better hardware now. Different to that, W7 is reported to boost system performance - while consuming lesser of it'S ressources, compared to Vista. In simple Words: W7 - and often also XP - is faster than Vista. Why do you think people were cursing so much about Vista...?

But make sure you are not running any dubious, suspicious software or bad drivers or faulty OS installations before investing money into upgrading from Vista. It does not matter whether you go forward to W7 or backward to XP - from Vista on everything is a step forward.
Old 05-02-10, 02:42 AM   #11
Furia
Surface Shepherd

Downloads: 94

I have used this sim in Vista (32 bits) and in WIN 7 (64 bits) and it worked flawessly.
If you like tanks, serious tanks sim, this is surely the sim you want.
From what I have seen most of the "perfomance issues" are sorted out after some tweaking, in some cases a proper configuration of your video card settings.

The Sim in my opinion is not expendive considering that this is really a sim with much more behind it than just some graphics and campaings.
Proff is that despite not having the "latest" graphics in the market, it has a long time loyal comunity and it is still selling.
However I just want to point that if you are looking for just casual game, then maybe this is not what you are looking for.
But if you are looking for a military tank simulator, there is none better avalaible.