SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-19, 09:57 AM   #1
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366
Uploads: 0
Default Searching for a new computer

Salutations to the forum, my computer is old is not able to play the latest version FOTRS Ultimate. I have a question for the Forum. If you were going to purchase a new computer, what would you buy in order to to run this new latest version and possibly the new game from KillerFish Games, Cold Waters. Thank you for your responses in advance.
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 04:11 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrywb57 View Post
Salutations to the forum, my computer is old is not able to play the latest version FOTRS Ultimate. I have a question for the Forum. If you were going to purchase a new computer, what would you buy in order to to run this new latest version and possibly the new game from KillerFish Games, Cold Waters. Thank you for your responses in advance.

I think your only problem with your current setup is you only have about 3.5 GB of memory. Try upping your memory to 8 GB. If you happen to be in the market for a new computer I might be able to help or offer some suggestions. If you are looking to buy a new computer what kinda budget would you have?
Please PM me if you have any questions.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 04:56 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What cdrsubron7 said... I wouldn't be surprised though, if the mobo isn't the limiting hardware factor. Do you happen to know what motherboard you do have? How many ram slots, and max ram it can hold?

The main thing though is the 32-bit Windows OS. Does your Windows license allow you to download and install the 64-bit version without having to purchase it? Some of the OM licenses don't, some do, but I do know that if you have a full-use Windows license, you can download the img file of the 64-bit version. Only problem is the install... Everything must be re-done on your machine. But, you might check into that.

Windows needs to allow the game more ram, especially if using FotRSU, and when using a 32-bit Windows. You are currently limited to using no more (often less than) 2 gig of the ram by the OS, which uses the rest of what you have for itself. You could use the NTCore applet or LAA and set SH4.exe to be able to address more ram, but Windows still won't allow it to. You also need to alter the Windows boot configuration. However, giving programs more memory to use, takes memory away from Windows, so you may have other performance issues troubles. You could try though, if you can't either get a 64-bit OS, or a new computer with a 64-bit OS...

Read through BCDEdit /set Commands for info on Boot command changes.

This is a quote from a 2010 posting on stackoverflow dot com:
Quote:
To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:
  • Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu.
  • Click Run as Administrator.
  • At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
  • Restart the computer.
To disable the 3GB switch:
  • Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu.
  • Click Run as Administrator.
  • At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
  • Restart the computer.
This does not display the increased size in the task manager as it still shows 2GB but now when my applicationx crash they indicate the current memory usage as 3GB
Now, to go a step further, you could try this:
Make Windows 7, 8 and Vista 32-bit (x86) Support More Than 4GB Memory
Now, I have not tried these out myself, since I no longer have a 32-bit Windows 7 install on a computer that can physically address more than 2gig of RAM, but I do plan on doing a parallel Win7 32-bit install on my current machine in the near future, and these were the two methods I've found thus far. I did do the "quote" version on Vista, and that definitely helps, but as I said, somethings on the OS side of things will slow down, because you are restricting the Windows "System" space. ymmv - as always, be protected, and have a back-up and emergency disk at hand... seriously.

I have done similar on a Windows XP machine just a few weeks ago (completely different methodology), and FotRSU will run much better, and you can even access the Museum, though it does take a ~LONG~ time to load. As I mentioned, I did the stackoverflow method on a Vista machine, and it worked there, though that has been a couple-three years ago, before FotRSU got so large, but I'm 99% certain it would work for that also. Windows 7 is about the same as Vista. Win8 is an animal of a different stripe, and might not be capable of doing the second method from raymond.cc's blog with all of the recent updates.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 07-25-19 at 05:07 PM. Reason: little comments at end
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-19, 05:13 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

His processor is LGA 775, the motherboards from that socket allows for a max 0f 8 GB of memory. Plus it is DDR2. This is just a suggestion, but you are really overdue for a new computer. If you want I could offer up suggestions for new parts. All I would need to start is how much you would like to spend. Your call though.

Old 07-25-19, 05:16 PM   #5
propbeanie

... and he is ~good~ at his builds, let me tell you! Maybe cdrsubron7 has some pics of his work he could post?... hint hint... lol

Old 07-25-19, 06:24 PM   #6
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
... and he is ~good~ at his builds, let me tell you! Maybe cdrsubron7 has some pics of his work he could post?... hint hint... lol

Well, since you asked!! Below is the only pic I have at the moment.

Computer Specs listed below. (main ones, anyway)

Tower: Corsair Obsidian 500D Midtower
Processor: Rysen 3900x (3.8 GB)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x570 Ultra
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Royal DDR4-3600
GPU: Zotac Geforce RTX 2070
Sound: SB AE-5
HDD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2. (1 TB)

Old 07-27-19, 07:35 AM   #7
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Thanks for the quick reply. This is the first chance that I've had a chance to reply back. A few months ago, I came across some ram which I placed in my computer but it doesn't recognize the extra ram above 3.48 which is 5 GBytes. I was thinking about a new computer but after talking to a guy at work I know suggested a new build or replacing hardware. But as always, at least in my case it comes down to funds. I've 'robbed the cookie jar' a few times that be sit aside for a new computer. Thanks for the help. I maybe back later with a few more questions when they come up.
Old 07-27-19, 09:14 PM   #8
propbeanie

What motherboard do you have Larrywb57?

Old 07-28-19, 09:14 AM   #9
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Quote:
What motherboard do you have Larrywb57?
Sorry pb,

I have an app on my computer called 'CUPID. According to the program, it's an Hewlett-Packard 0AACh. I also check it using the command prompt.

Larry
Old 07-28-19, 08:23 PM   #10
propbeanie

OK, HP page says:
Quote:
4 * 240-pin DDR2 DIMM slots Supports DDR2 667/800 Dual Channel non-ECC, un-buffered memory (Max 8GB)
so as the resident expert cdrsubron7 surmised, you are good for 8 gig of ram, with 4 sticks of 2gig each. Try using the www.crucial.com and use your computer model to search with. I could not find anything for HP via your mobo number, but you probably could using the computer model instead. From what I could find though, newegg has a 4 gig set in two stix for roughly $18US, but I don't know if that is an exact match for your motherboard. Getting 4 or 8 gig of matched RAM, and you should see a slight improvement. If you want to delve into the possibility of accessing more ram in the system with the 32-bit Windows, let me know. Otherwise, let cdrsubron7 make you up a shopping list.

Old 07-30-19, 07:49 AM   #11
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Quote:
To enable the 3GB switch on Windows Vista™ or Windows 7:
Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu.
Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072"
Restart the computer.
To disable the 3GB switch:
Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu.
Click Run as Administrator.
At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
Restart the computer.
This does not display the increased size in the task manager as it still shows 2GB but now when my applicationx crash they indicate the current memory usage as 3GB
Thanks Propbeanie,
I tried the settings that you suggested today and it seems to increase my frame rate some. I read the info from the site stackoverflow.com and I have a question. Do I need to change the valves each time or can they be left on without causing anything weird?
Old 07-31-19, 11:00 AM   #12
propbeanie

If you used the "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" command, that makes that 3072 figure part of the "Boot Configuration", and is there as part of it until you would invoke the "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa" command. It is very similar to the old Windows XP "boot.ini" file and adding "/fastdetect switch: /3GB" the end of the startup line...