SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-19-19, 06:14 PM   #8476
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Sadly, after 9 years of faithful service my Mach V finally bit the dust. I tried a new 1000 watt power supply and a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1660 video card only to find the video component on the motherboard was dead. so, today, with the reluctant approval of my COB, I went all-in and ordered a new Falcon Northwest 20th Anniversary Edition Talon. It should be in port around Sept. 5 or so. Until then I’m on a desk job I guess. See you all then.
Wow... bummer man... [a moment of silence] - sorry about your loss...

... but it will be all fun and new adventures shortly!... have fun with the new build!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-19, 07:46 PM   #8477
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Gar has incredible fuel efficiency!!!

Transferred from Brisbane to Midway with a Gar early 1943. The next mission, of course, sends me back to the Solomons on and agent insertion. The trip from Midway was about 3300 nm. I traveled on the surface the entire way at 12-13 knots average and upon arrival at the insertion symbol my fuel reserve showed 99%. Odd?
Old 08-20-19, 06:04 AM   #8478
propbeanie

The Gar / Tambor not burning fuel??... - Has anyone else encountered this little issue? Surely we don't have another decimal misplaced...

Hopefully, the Insertion mission was early in '43, correct?... ?? - or further up the chain toward Buin / Bougainville?

Old 08-20-19, 09:14 AM   #8479
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The Gar / Tambor not burning fuel??... - Has anyone else encountered this little issue? Surely we don't have another decimal misplaced...

Hopefully, the Insertion mission was early in '43, correct?... ?? - or further up the chain toward Buin / Bougainville?
1943 correct, Mar 2 I think
Vella Levella
Interesting though, I had no fuel use issues when sailing out of Brisbane, only on first mission from Midway after the transfer from Brisbane.
Old 08-20-19, 09:24 AM   #8480
propbeanie

I replicated the issue in a Single Mission and drove across to the East China Sea from Pearl and only used 4% of my fuel. That was on the Win10 laptop though, and I have had issues with that computer ever since it updated the other day, including having all of my "personal" settings changed back to what Microsoft wants, whether it would be "Location" or which app is the "default" to start from a file link, if the OS even recognizes the file extension anymore... I am now on the Windows 7 machine and about to do further testing. I will try my XP boot also...

Old 08-20-19, 09:42 AM   #8481
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I replicated the issue in a Single Mission and drove across to the East China Sea from Pearl and only used 4% of my fuel. That was on the Win10 laptop though, and I have had issues with that computer ever since it updated the other day, including having all of my "personal" settings changed back to what Microsoft wants, whether it would be "Location" or which app is the "default" to start from a file link, if the OS even recognizes the file extension anymore... I am now on the Windows 7 machine and about to do further testing. I will try my XP boot also...
I am still on Win 7. BTW, so far for me this version, .90, is the most stable. I’ve completed one career, mostly from Midway using Gato, Balao and Tench class boats. No CTDs, no unrecoverable Saves.
Old 08-20-19, 10:05 AM   #8482
propbeanie

Did you happen to notice the fuel usage in those boats by chance?

Edit OK, I just re-did my install, all-a-fresh now, and took a Tambor out in a new career December 9th departure Pearl Harbor to recon Eniwetok. Once out of Pearl, running at Ahead Standard for a few hours, I asked what my range would be and was given "18,000 nm", which is a bit long. It should be lower. I'm wondering if that's what the trouble is, jldjs? I did burn 5% of my fuel getting to Eniwetok, which is about right for the ratio involved, but not quite an accurate figure, so we're looking further into that now also...

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-20-19 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-21-19, 04:05 PM   #8483
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon10

Edit OK, I just re-did my install, all-a-fresh now, and took a Tambor out in a new career December 9th departure Pearl Harbor to recon Eniwetok. Once out of Pearl, running at Ahead Standard for a few hours, I asked what my range would be and was given "18,000 nm", which is a bit long. It should be lower. I'm wondering if that's what the trouble is, jldjs? I did burn 5% of my fuel getting to Eniwetok, which is about right for the ratio involved, but not quite an accurate figure, so we're looking further into that now also... [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=propbeanie;2623539]Did you happen to notice the fuel usage in those boats by chance?
Fuel usage seemed okay with all boats including the Gar when I returned to Brisbane before the transfer. It seems if all the boats i’ve used are getting significantly better fuel usage than the previous build. No hard numbers but I took the Gar to Convoy College from Brisbane averaging 12-13 knots and had 92% reserve, a trip of near 3300nm.
Old 08-21-19, 04:20 PM   #8484
propbeanie

OK, thanks. cdrsubron7 also confirms. This is the part of the game I don't like when trying to edit files, in that a change was made for the batteries, and now we've got super-fuel efficiency... sigh... shades of Webster when doing his S-Boat edits. - I just did the Patrol Marshalls Early 03, which is a new mission for Pearl at the beginning of the war, and you go out to Eniwetok, then to Guam, then to Wake and patrol at all three locations (the reverse of the real life patrol that left in late December). Came back on January 16th, 1942, and still had 94% of my fuel. No ships sunk though... I don't know how the IJN managed to force the US defenders to surrender on Guam or Wake if they didn't have any ships to ride in...

Old 08-21-19, 07:06 PM   #8485
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
1943 correct, Mar 2 I think
Vella Levella
Interesting though, I had no fuel use issues when sailing out of Brisbane, only on first mission from Midway after the transfer from Brisbane.
First missions after transfers are weird.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-19, 11:46 AM   #8486
propbeanie

I can't figure out what's going on there merc4ulfate, but we'll get to the bottom of that... I've even crashed if I try a transfer from Brisbane to Alaska with an S18, and there should not be a problem there....

Old 08-28-19, 06:44 AM   #8487
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Out of curiosity was there a conclusion on why you think the planes ignore the boats now, with the exception of "Betty"?

The dual 20mm is useless against planes. Since none of the planes attack besides Betty I stay on the surface now. Last night I decided to test something. Two Nakajima came right over me so me and the other gun opened up on them for fun. On this occasion they did turn and attack like they were attacking but dropped no ordinance and did not even use their machine guns or canon against the boat. They circled back around over and over again and we kept shooting and nothing. Seems our guns cannot hit them at all and they have no ammunition.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-29-19, 12:41 PM   #8488
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

general question here. looked on some read me files and reference cards of key bindings. cant find or i am overlooking it. but how do you lower and raise the American flag on the submarines???
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-19, 07:43 PM   #8489
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
general question here. looked on some read me files and reference cards of key bindings. cant find or i am overlooking it. but how do you lower and raise the American flag on the submarines???
Molotov cocktail ... for all the years I have been playing this I have never heard of lowering the flag. It becomes transparent on submerging.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Old 08-29-19, 10:15 PM   #8490
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
Molotov cocktail ... for all the years I have been playing this I have never heard of lowering the flag. It becomes transparent on submerging.
i was asking because with some mods there is a key to push to either show the flag or not to show it. ive heard that uboats would take it down when heading out to patrol and when in port would fly the flag. so id assume the US subs commanders would do the same correct ?
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote