SUBSIM Radio Room Forums


SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 06:11 AM   #2176
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat
 
Jimbuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 250 metres below the surface
Posts: 144,522
Downloads: 60
Uploads: 11


Default

Nice one
__________________
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.
Oh my God, not again!!


GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #2177
Kurt Dagger
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Is it possible to find out at least approximately when this mod will be released?
Kurt Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #2178
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,096
Downloads: 249
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Dagger View Post
Is it possible to find out at least approximately when this mod will be released?
That's being worked out with Adm. Gerlach. I apologize for not giving an estimate, but I would never want to be overly optimistic, and then disappoint people when a release date is missed. I will say don't anticipate a release within the next several months. However, behind the scenes content creation continues at a fast rate.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #2179
KptLt Stern
Bilge Rat
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1
Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default

Keep up the great work, I've been waiting for this mod for years and I'm still excited for it. May be getting ahead of myself, but I'm very excited about the eventual possibility of WWI Mediterranean hunts.

KptLt Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 PM   #2180
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado and California
Posts: 727
Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0
Default

The Med does indeed offer some interesting possibilities. Some of the most daring submarine operations of WWI were those of the RN in the Black Sea and the Straits and there are possible chances for other areas as well.



Progress on this mod is steady and highest quality. I am very happy to see the careful development and depth of research and care being taken. It is no easy task to draw back the curtain of time for this era and naval war has never been covered in simulation adequately. A few attempts have been make a mod for Destroyer Command long ago created working WWI ships, and there were two other attempts. and the retail games Distant Guns and Jutland offer some chances but frankly both those games have very primitive modelling and the land masses when present like the Falklands Islands are just terrible. So be patient shipmates. This will be a jewel to enjoy and appreciate ...and is well worth the wait.



In naval sims we see the ships in a distant view, but each vessel was a small world of its own, incredibly complex with countless sailors and officers performing thousands of tasks to maintain and operate the ships in peace and war. There were long long days, months and years of hard labour, chipping paint, man handling gear, ammunition, navigating, and dealing with all of the mundane needs of the days at sea and in port. Making a good accurate and detailed sim must convey all of this and do it well for the immersion to work and be realistic. In the hands of the creator of this mod, I do believe this effort will succeed. So Cheer him on and look forward to the outcome.



Admiral Von Gerlach









__________________
Erlaubnis an Bord zu kommen.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #2181
Add man
Swabbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
Downloads: 187
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Progress on this mod is steady and highest quality. I am very happy to see the careful development and depth of research and care being taken. It is no easy task to draw back the curtain of time for this era and naval war has never been covered in simulation adequately. A few attempts have been make a mod for Destroyer Command long ago created working WWI ships, and there were two other attempts. and the retail games Distant Guns and Jutland offer some chances but frankly both those games have very primitive modelling and the land masses when present like the Falklands Islands are just terrible. So be patient shipmates. This will be a jewel to enjoy and appreciate ...and is well worth the wait.



In naval sims we see the ships in a distant view, but each vessel was a small world of its own, incredibly complex with countless sailors and officers performing thousands of tasks to maintain and operate the ships in peace and war. There were long long days, months and years of hard labour, chipping paint, man handling gear, ammunition, navigating, and dealing with all of the mundane needs of the days at sea and in port. Making a good accurate and detailed sim must convey all of this and do it well for the immersion to work and be realistic. In the hands of the creator of this mod, I do believe this effort will succeed. So Cheer him on and look forward to the outcome.
I can't tell you how excited this has me. It's been such a privilege to follow the development of this thread for so long. I can't wait to experience this. It's been such a dream to have more interactions with the crews and ships we encounter at sea rather than just shelling or torpedoing an empty hulk of polygons. Mods like Just Follow Orders! for SH3 helped fill this where you just sort of pretend to follow prize rules and imagine assisting the merchant crews, but WOTK will truly be something else, and I can't wait.

Good luck, guys!
Add man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #2182
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666
 
Aktungbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: where I'm at presently
Posts: 18,138
Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0


Default welcome aboard!

KptLt Stern!
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity; And I'm not too sure about the Universe..." -Albert Einstein
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #2183
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully
 
THEBERBSTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dibden Purlieu - Southampton
Posts: 9,603
Downloads: 1062
Uploads: 0


Default

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > KptLt Stern
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 AM   #2184
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken
 
Buddahaid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,005
Downloads: 154
Uploads: 0


Default

Indeed this is welcome news. The lack of updates had me worrying it was on hold forever.
__________________

"However vast the darkness, we must provide our own light."
Stanley Kubrick
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #2185
bismarck1011
Helmsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pensylvania
Posts: 105
Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 116
Default

I have a feeling this mod is gonna draw tons on players back into this game. It's by far gonna be one of the best mods for SH4 possibly in all silent hunter games. I've been seeing your progress on this mod and it seems better and better every time, Can't wait to try this out someday!
bismarck1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #2186
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,096
Downloads: 249
Uploads: 0


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KptLt Stern View Post
Keep up the great work, I've been waiting for this mod for years and I'm still excited for it. May be getting ahead of myself, but I'm very excited about the eventual possibility of WWI Mediterranean hunts.

Yes; the Mediterranean will be included. You will usually encounter weaker defenses, less experienced escorts, and more lone merchants than the North Sea & North Atlantic. Historically, the British, French, & Italians neglected ASW badly in the "Med" until the war was almost over. It's no coincidence that many of the greatest surviving aces were from the Mediterranean flotillas. Elsewhere, the life expectancy for U-Boats was much lower.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #2187
Schnee
Planesman
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 182
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

The Mediterranean scene will be awesome.


I remember seeing a photo of U-35 (ie de la Perière's boat) returning after a cruise in which they sank 90 merchants, unloading BASKETS of 88 cases to be reloaded.

Of course he struck a blow for justice, sending the California (the ship that screwed the Titanic) to shake hands with Davey Jones.


Looking forward to an upgrade from Shells of Fury -- this mode will be awesome!!
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:20 AM   #2188
Xboxman523
Nub
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default

Any news in this new year?
Xboxman523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #2189
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666
 
Aktungbby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: where I'm at presently
Posts: 18,138
Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0


Default Welcome aboard!

Xboxman523! after an 8 year silent run!
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity; And I'm not too sure about the Universe..." -Albert Einstein
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:07 PM   #2190
Xboxman523
Nub
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2
Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0
Default

I suppose I just don't have much to say
Xboxman523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1995- 2020 Subsim