SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-20, 01:37 PM   #1
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3
Default Iluminating gr2 ships test

First of all, I'd like to give credit and thanks to Gap for coming up with this idea - I just implemented it according to his instructions.

Only iluminated ships at the moment in SH5 are .dat format units introduced by vdr1981 in TWoS. I was looking for a way to have neutral iluminated versions of my coastal units when Gap suggested trying to use HarborObjectCtrl for lights that would behave like harbor lights in game's ports - light up only in darkness and be off during the day.

I've did some experimenting with using this controller on mine and stock ships, as well as Rosomaha's NKC3, here's the result:

C3 Cargo, Motor Coaster:

Trawler:

Italian Liner:

C2 Cargo:

Coastal Tanker:

C3 Cargo:

And here's the video showing how lights behave during sunset:

So far so good - controller does work on ships and I did light maps to iluminate portholes for all stock ships that are used by neutral nations in TWoS (I didn't touch warships or merchants only used by fighting nations). Couple problems that did show up:

1) Some stock ships have protholes UV-mapped to the same parts of diffuse texture as other ships parts - namely Ranger tanker, N3 Cargo, Hod Island, C1B Cargo. These ships need their portholes remapped to some other texture part:

2) I intended to create just clones, sharing the same model but with different .sim and .eqp files (the way that Duke of York uses KGV model but with different dsd,eqp and other files). It appears that game still uses original ship's sim file, even if modified one is provided in clone's folder.

3) At very close range, the glow disappears (like if camera is within 30-40 meters of the ship). The same happens to port buildings so this is just how this controller works.

4) At very long range, lights also tend to disappear on many ships, this time because portholes are not included in LOD file (exception is C3 where windows are painted on wall texture and my trawler which includes windows in LOD file). This could again be fixed by adding a simple triangle for every porthole in LOD model and UV-mapping it to lit part of diffuse texture.

5) Navigation lights are not included on stock ships. Rosomaha's C3 and most of my my coasters have them, but on stock merchants they would need to be added to the model.

6) No halo. This only lights up texture, without "halo" or "light ray" effect that is visible on lighthouses and .dat format iluminated vessels.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote