Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-20, 02:07 PM   #916
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Could this be the answer to a clean supply of electric power in the future ? https://www.iflscience.com/technolog...-using-it/all/ Markus
This is one good solution, there are also others, but the main problem is that "superpowers" want uranium and plutonium to build what they call fission or thermonucelear bombs.
Same reason why England built the plant at Windscale umm Sellafield umm whatever it is being named after the next accident to not upset anyone.
It was never built to generate electricity for civilian purposes, only to produce weapon grade nuclear material.

If it was safe it would be even ok in my book, but it is not. Not the old reactors, not the "new" ones. Find the answer to dispose of spent fuel and how to depollute the environment of nuclear waste, apart from converting it to "depleted uranuium" projectiles which will contaminate the environment even more, and then we can talk.

Speaking of civilian use alone what is more primitive than to only heat steam with nuclear fission, to drive turbines and then generate electricity? Why don't you use steam engines powered by nuclear fission?
Direct energy conversion? Maybe it is astonishing what mankind has invented and developed, but when i look at what has been neglected for a hundred years with all this knowledge at hand .. sigh.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 05-01-20 at 02:36 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 03:48 PM   #917
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I hope we will see this in a very near future

Thorium-based nuclear power

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoriu..._nuclear_power

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 04:13 PM   #918
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I hope we will see this in a very near future
Thorium-based nuclear power [...]
There is hope, and then there is humanity. From your link:

"Science writer Richard Martin states that nuclear physicist Alvin Weinberg, who was director at Oak Ridge and primarily responsible for the new reactor, lost his job as director because he championed development of the safer thorium reactors.[7][8]

Weinberg himself recalls this period:

[Congressman] Chet Holifield was clearly exasperated with me, and he finally blurted out, "Alvin, if you are concerned about the safety of reactors, then I think it may be time for you to leave nuclear energy." I was speechless. But it was apparent to me that my style, my attitude, and my perception of the future were no longer in tune with the powers within the AEC.[9]

Martin explains that Weinberg's unwillingness to sacrifice potentially safe nuclear power for the benefit of military uses forced him to retire:
Weinberg realized that you could use thorium in an entirely new kind of reactor, one that would have zero risk of meltdown. ... his team built a working reactor .... and he spent the rest of his 18-year tenure trying to make thorium the heart of the nation’s atomic power effort. He failed.

Uranium reactors had already been established, and Hyman Rickover, de facto head of the US nuclear program, wanted the plutonium from uranium-powered nuclear plants to make bombs. Increasingly shunted aside, Weinberg was finally forced out in 1973.[10]"

I doubt that with people like Putin, Kim, Xi Jinping or other idiots as the leaders (!!) of this planet there will be logical evolution and progress, aside from trying finding out how to kill each other better?

Old 05-01-20, 04:53 PM   #919
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I did not read the text in the wiki link I provided with my comment

I suddenly remembered many science article and some issue on Danish or was it on Swedish tv about this Thorium reactor

Here's iflscience article

Quote:
What's more, feeding a molten-salt reactor a radioactive waste from mining, called thorium (which is three to four times more abundant than uranium), can "breed" as much nuclear fuel as it burns up.
https://www.iflscience.com/technolog...rent-using-it/

Markus
Old 05-02-20, 02:34 PM   #920
Catfish

^ You are right, it would be a very good idea. But i take it as long as we do not rebel on a broader scale it will all remain the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Michael Moore Just Declared War on the Climate Movement
"Obviously, the main factor is delusion."
I've been saying this for years, there's no easy solution to climate change.
Just saw it, and had to requote it. Big business first embraced and then swallowed the green movement. Well worth viewing

Last edited by Catfish; 05-03-20 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-02-20, 05:24 PM   #921
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

"Wood chip"

Now when they are talking over wood chip I again came to remember a reportage on Danish news some weeks ago.

In this reportage

They mentioned CO2 was released when wood was burned and the wood the biomass plants used in Denmark came mostly from the Brazilian rainforest.

Remember I was thinking...why do they call this clean energy, when it isn't really clean energy.

Furthermore it takes more than 15 to 20 years for a tree to grow up fully.
we can with modern machine- cut it down, clean it(don't know what they call this part), cut it in smaller part in less than a minute.

Edit
Secondly
While my friends have the possibility using expert(s) in their effort to tell other friends they are right on their standpoint regarding this climate change

I can't I seem to be the only one with my theory

This climate change, which only is in the beginning is not exactly created by human, but we are the cause of it

Due to our destructive nature....earth got tired of us..and are now planning on wiping us away from this planet.

I can't prove it and I can't find any educated expert with same theory.

End edit

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 05-02-20 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 03:51 AM   #922
Catfish

The film fits to with what i experienced in the last ten years, from private to business.

Privately i was asking several heating system vendors when building our house, at that time was especially interested in climate-neutral or sustainable energy sources. In Germany you usally use oil or gas, but there are also electrical systems or "biomass" burners, along with combined heat and power plants (wrote about that somewhere else some time ago).

One of the solutions was a pellet heating system, where wood chips and pellets were stored and transported to the burner via a worm gear. They all advertised with being climate neutral and having a positive cumulative energy baance.
I asked them two questions,
1. where did the wood come from (origin), and
2. how exactly did this energy balance look like.
No answer, some shrugged and did not know it, some just stopped the conversation, some asked me to leave while saying "we do not discuss this".

The business project was about a report comparing the search and "producing" of crude oil. (which is a joke in itself because crude oil is being pumped and refined, but not "produced", but this the term used in the oil industry).
The comparison was to be made between an old german oilfield from appx. 1900 to 1920 compared with a modern (2000) drilling and pumping project, creating an assessment of the energy balance that should hopefully show that modern methods were more effective, cheaper and had less contaminating impact on the environment.

The old oilfield had had around 1000 drill holes, numerous steam engines for drilling and pumping, and of course horses and a lot of manpower, not to mention the oil spills covering hectars of ground and effectively poisoning it for decades.

The new oilfield was to reach several oil and gas horizons from one central drilling pipe, by observing all modern possible prevention.

The outcome was a bit unexpected. The new borehole comprising all that was needed to install it, maintain it, the energy needed for it was much higher than it had been needed on the old oilfield - all energy and production, costs, titan alloys for the drill bits, Diesel engines, blowout preventer and the sheer energy and electricity; in short the cumulative energy balance of the new ("less intrusive" as they said) was worse than the century-old one.

After watching this film and from private experience i think there is no way to hold up our life standard without killing earth and us in the end. Not with the number of people living on this tiny planet.

Old 05-03-20, 08:31 AM   #923
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I did not know that it already was translated into English.

LINK
Old 05-03-20, 11:12 AM   #924
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

This is a climate related comment.

On the news some hours ago they mentioned the story on findings of micro plast in the ice and water around Arctic/Antarctica(can't remember exactly where and when)

(Let see how much I can remember from this 5 minute long reportage)

Take the short version
A journalist was standing in front some river bed in India and in the background you could see piles of garbage in and near the river
he said

A majority of the worlds river is placed in Asia.

While we Danish people can throw our waste in a waste bin and sort our waste

People in India can't do that, they aren't exactly enemy of the environment they just don't have a waste bin where they can throw their garbage and they do not have a renovation program in which they can sort out their trashes

We are not better.

A huge part of the plastic we throw in our recycling bin, isn't being recycled..the company load it on a ship transport it to some country in Asia and dump it there, while they pay some politicians and some authorities under the table
(this was in the news some month ago)

Markus
Old 05-04-20, 10:15 AM   #925
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Has land use pushed terrestrial biodiversity beyond the planetary boundary? A global assessment

https://sro.sussex.ac.uk/id/eprint/6...%20SuppMat.pdf

Man this does NOT look good for the home team. But we'll just keep making babies, cutting down whole ecosystems, burning sugar cane for ethanol, digging up rare earth metals for our computers and cell phones and shooting rockets into space.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 09:38 AM   #926
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

(Sorry digging up this half old thread)

I strongly disagree. Some of my friends who doesn't support this climate change or human is behind it...is very far from being racist.

Quote:
The study, published in Environmental Politics, found that climate change deniers are more likely to be old, Republican, white, and racist.
https://www.iflscience.com/brain/peo...7YZ-Lgp0JFwm5s

Markus
Old 06-02-20, 12:09 PM   #927
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
The study, published in Environmental Politics, found that climate change deniers are more likely to be old, Republican, white, and racist

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 03:15 PM   #928
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Some source you got there Markus:

Environmental Politics:

Quote:
Core topics include green political theory; green parties; environmental protest and civil society; environmental policy and regulation; sustainable development; the interface between environmental science and public policy; global environmental governance. Emerging topics include areas such as: the ethics and politics of climate engineering, eco-social innovations, energy policy/politics, eco-feminist politics, environmental justice, environmental politics in everyday life, and methodologies and pedagogies in environmental politics.

A bunch of eco-nazis casting aspersions on those who disagree with their vision. Imagine that.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 03:49 PM   #929
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Some source you got there Markus:

Environmental Politics:

A bunch of eco-nazis casting aspersions on those who disagree with their vision. Imagine that.
Take another look and you will see my link was from iflscience.

The quote I used had the word Environmental Politics in it.

In the beginning this climate change movement was, how should I put it...somehow neutral on politics.
Then a change happens, the left wing toke over.

Today every person who disagree just tiny..is according to them is a racist, white and Republican.

Markus
This
Old 06-21-20, 10:59 PM   #930
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Likely the hottest temperature ever recorded in the Arctic happened today-100.4 F- What's happening in Siberia this year is nothing short of remarkable. The kind of weather we expect by 2100, 80 years early.
For perspective Miami has only reached 100 degrees once on record.

On my Xbox right now look it up ... You can't say this isn't big
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, climate change, drought, global warming, hurricanes