SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-21, 11:02 AM   #1051
A Soviet Fanboi
Watch

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Do you have LAA activated on the SH4.exe file, and did you empty the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" by default) prior to starting DW?
I used Multi SH4 to create a seperate Save file. And what is this LAA thing?
A Soviet Fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 11:37 AM   #1052
qastokes
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i did more research and it seems that HIGH priority radio messages directed to you will slow TC to 1.
Low priority message will not change the TC.
so, if you are up to the task, you can change the priority of the messages but there a lot of them.
Look in Campaigns\Campaign\Message.txt.
Good luck.
Its so damn annoying I may just, especially if I can figure out a way to script/batch the solution.
But only worth it if this is a solution I can upstream into the mod. If this is a common problem for people worth solving, then ill figure out how to fix it right. But if its just for me, especially if its just for me on this version of the mod, not gonna bother.
Old 05-12-21, 12:35 PM   #1053
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Soviet Fanboi View Post
LAA = Large Address Aware, and is a "flag" that gets set on a 32-bit application that shows Windows that it can address a larger address area. Boring, technical info is here at Large Address Aware. CapnScurvy did a TEC write-up here on SubSim about his experience with Windows 10 64-bit installation, installing SH4, applying mods and using LAA in Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. He has links to what he used there (LAA), which uses an dotNet interface that might also have to downloaded. Then there is the NTCore version 4Gig Patch, as well as a quickie that Jeff-Groves did a while back, but I cannot find it again... sigh - I'm getting old and losing things - besides my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qastokes View Post
Its so damn annoying I may just, especially if I can figure out a way to script/batch the solution.
But only worth it if this is a solution I can upstream into the mod. If this is a common problem for people worth solving, then ill figure out how to fix it right. But if its just for me, especially if its just for me on this version of the mod, not gonna bother.
That is "controlled" by a text file (messages.txt) in the Data / Campaigns / Campaign folder in the US side, and CampaignGE for the German side. You could make a blank text file, name it messages.txt, put it in a mini-mod, and it would then "blank" the game file to where you wouldn't get any messages. The Stock game on the German side is already a blank file, so you could just copy that prior to activating DW or OM, and paste that into the appropriate location in the mod, then activate the mod. If you want a "surgical" solution, the file is Tab-separated columns of text, and has a "commented" header that shows what each of the columns are for. The first column is the begin date, then the begin time, the end date, then the end time. Next up fifth column is the message "type", which just refers to whether is transmits only the once, or keeps transmitting until the player receives it (such as you are submerged and cannot receive a message, when you surface, you will receive it with that option set to "1"). The next section determines the percentage of chance that the message will generate, between 0 and 100, then the amount of time in minutes between transmission attempts, if the "type" is set to "1". The seventh column is the one you are most interested in, being "Priority". Anything set to "0" (zero) drops you to 1x TC, since it is "High Priority". Set all of the zeroes in that column to "1", and no more dropping to 1x TC. However, as I said, it is a tab separated text file, which makes "automatic" changes a bit difficult, unless you can script or program and use variable and recursion. However, most of what you want is near the beginning of the file, and if you have a wide-screen monitor, open the file in Notepad++, which remembers the location of your cursor as you edit, and you can relatively easily change quite a few by hand.

Just remember that the Befehlshaber der Unterseeboote (BdU) Herr Konteradmiral Karl Dönitz will require some tough 'splaining on your part if you miss something of importance...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 04:37 PM   #1054
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Do you have LAA activated on the SH4.exe file, and did you empty the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" by default) prior to starting DW?
Ahoy, propbeanie...

If you look at the tail end of their post #1045 they do mention of having ran a 4GB patch.. My guess is, is possible that the patch failed to initialize.. of course, that is a rough guess.. as I seem to recall others did run into that occurring.
Could be they got a bad download copy of the patch.. to who knows what of it not patching as it should when they ran it, for any # of reasons.. again, supposition, not having been there when they set everything up..

M. M.

Old 05-12-21, 04:44 PM   #1055
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Ahoy, gastokes...

As for Me, I just run with the TC modifications I posted you here.. & just deal with the non dropping to 1x TC with messages.. I generally keep an eye out for messages received while boosting about at x128, which is generally about as high as I take using TC, for the most parts.. so as to avoid as is possible of having the sun rise/set algorithm not getting knocked out of whack.. even though I have it set to allow for up to x1024 TC.
Old 05-12-21, 04:45 PM   #1056
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
So here are the mods which I have activated:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Silent Hunter 4 Dark Waters\MODS]

OM_DarkWaters_V6
OM_Strategic_Map_Symbols
OM_U-Jagd

The game is CD Ripped. And my pc's native resolution is 1366x768 and the game is recognizing the resolution and nearly everything is visible on the game interface.
And most importantly my PC's RAM is 4gb so is that the issue here?
And Lmao don't call me sir I am just a teen.

Anyways thanks
Ahoy, A Soviet Fanboi...

To wit, saying sir, was a sign of respect, given that age doesn't show with a subsimmer's moniker. Now that I do know your.. approximate age, I will say young man, then..

Ok, given knowing just what you have activated & all...

Only thing I can see of causing possible issues with CTD, is that the 4GB patch you went with, failed to lock in.

From what you say your spec's are on the computer your using, looks ok. It probably would not hurt to look at sometime of maybe bumping up your RAM stats.. but for now, they should be adequate enough for sims such as SH4 & others that are in that same range for RAM.. that I'm aware of.. others can cross confirm this or correct Me, if I am wrong in that assessment.. am not 1 to shy from having an error in understanding pointed out. Only thing I ask, is just do so in a polite method...

Can retry running the 4GB patch & see if it takes as it should.. or just forgo that patch & see of googling for 'Large Address Aware', downloading that & install it. Is a simple 3 step process to run that, to assign SH4.exe 4GB RAM status.

1 other thing, comes to mind...

before you started off with modding SH4 with OM: Dark.. did you right click on the SH4.exe (after running the install to allow it to finalize set up, by the way) & go into the properties for the .exe & uncheck mark the 'Read only' box, as well as go into compatibility tab of properties, & check mark 'Run as Admin, & click ok for both of those tasks.?

M. M.

Old 05-12-21, 07:42 PM   #1057
propbeanie

I am looking at:
Quote:
and answering:
Quote:
LAA = Large Address Aware, and is a "flag" that gets set on a 32-bit application that shows Windows that it can address a larger address area. Boring, technical info is here at Large Address Aware. CapnScurvy did a TEC write-up here on SubSim about his experience with Windows 10 64-bit installation, installing SH4, applying mods and using LAA in Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. He has links to what he used there (LAA), which uses an dotNet interface that might also have to downloaded. Then there is the NTCore version 4Gig Patch, as well as a quickie that Jeff-Groves did a while back, but I cannot find it again... sigh - I'm getting old and losing things - besides my mind...
as for:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
...Could be they got a bad download copy of the patch.. to who knows what of it not patching as it should when they ran it, for any # of reasons.. again, supposition, not having been there when they set everything up...
I would be more inclined to suspect an SH4.exe that is write-protected, or if using the Windows GUI (A Soviet Fanboi), right-click on the SH4.exe and choose "Properties" from the bottom of the context menu, and on the first "General" tab showing from that, under the "Attributes" section, be certain that the "Read-only" tick box is cleared. Then LAA or NTCore 4Gig Patch should take. I do not remember if the NTCore applet throws an error for you or not, but LAA for certain does not. You have to open it again to look-see what happened.

Old 05-13-21, 07:50 AM   #1058
A Soviet Fanboi
Watch

Downloads: 70
Icon14

Ok so now I played the game by applying the LAA patch and the game is running ok now, no CTDs encountered till now and I am near the Ireland-British gapping, and I have encountered a convoy too. And I also never exceeded the time compression of 1024x after reaching the AM grid so that may be one of the reason why the game didn't crashed. Anyways thanks for your suggestions.
A Soviet Fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-21, 09:14 AM   #1059
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Ok so now I played the game by applying the LAA patch and the game is running ok now, no CTDs encountered till now and I am near the Ireland-British gapping, and I have encountered a convoy too. And I also never exceeded the time compression of 1024x after reaching the AM grid so that may be one of the reason why the game didn't crashed. Anyways thanks for your suggestions.
X1024 is a maximum only for crossing ocean, where poor chances of getting any action...all around Great Britain and Biscaye Bay in France, best is to run max X256 otherwise you will miss planes and action, not to say to be prone to CTDs (as for SH3 BTW)

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-21, 12:21 PM   #1060
qastokes
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
PB is correct here, there is a logic hole in the Career pathing, and it is not so easy to fix. you can add my name to the long and distinguished list of modders who have tried, unsuccessfully, to patch the hole.
I read through your detailed reply and understood it. Really appreciate the effort. I tried it & don't think it worked.
>I think my problem is that there aren't any missions left for my date at my base with my boat type. No transfers available.
The date is now Dec 41 and the last available missions for my boat type at that base are for Oct 41. Thats were things go wrong, there aren't any missions in the system for me.

Is there a more involved fix, like forcing a boat transfer, or forcing a change of boat? Or reverting to a previous save and then fixing things from there?

Last edited by qastokes; 05-13-21 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-13-21, 09:08 PM   #1061
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
I read through your detailed reply and understood it. Really appreciate the effort. I tried it & don't think it worked.
>I think my problem is that there aren't any missions left for my date at my base with my boat type. No transfers available.
The date is now Dec 41 and the last available missions for my boat type at that base are for Oct 41. Thats were things go wrong, there aren't any missions in the system for me.

Is there a more involved fix, like forcing a boat transfer, or forcing a change of boat? Or reverting to a previous save and then fixing things from there?
in a word, No.
Start a new career with another boat, in another base.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-21, 04:14 PM   #1062
nionios
Soundman

Downloads: 82

On my 8th patrol (started September 1939) I was assigned to area AN51 (100KM radius) but it's very difficult to survive because the area is full of mines.Reloaded the mission but again I was hit by mine. It's almost impossible to complete the objective.
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-21, 06:25 PM   #1063
propbeanie

Are you hitting them while submerged? If so, as you enter the area, partially raise your periscope (if you can), and look-out for them that way. Find a quiet, secluded, un-mined area, and stay still to fulfill your Objective requirement... Unless, of course, you want to ignore orders and just go sink ships elsewhere...

Old 05-22-21, 07:32 PM   #1064
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nionios View Post
On my 8th patrol (started September 1939) I was assigned to area AN51 (100KM radius) but it's very difficult to survive because the area is full of mines.Reloaded the mission but again I was hit by mine. It's almost impossible to complete the objective.
AN51 at that time (post-1940) is a pretty tough place to patrol.
typical depth for that area is 8 meters which means that you are at risk either on the surface or at PD.
if it was me and my boat, i would either penetrate the minefield by going deep and patrolling between the coast and the mine field or sit east of the minefield and ignore the objective and sink as many ships as i could.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-21, 11:55 AM   #1065
nionios
Soundman

Downloads: 82

I was at periscope depth when I hit and the depth was 100 meters approximately.
nionios is offline   Reply With Quote