SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #12571
fitzcarraldo
Argentinischer Kaleun

Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Arrived in U-977 after 60 days below
Downloads: 1921
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel4004 View Post
Yes, thats right. Thats SH5, nothing special, get used to it. Sure i got more frames with my fast PC in ports like you but anyway, thats the game.

TWoS is stable.
If you have a Nvidia GC use Inspector to fix the frames (mine, 30 FPS). Leave the control of AA to the game and AFx16 in Inspector.

I have an I5 with 16 gb RAM, 8 GB Nvidia GC, and never had problems with FPS in ports. My res. is 1920x1080. Running on W10 creator pro 1909 update.

All graphics maximized in SH5. Full options.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.

Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die!
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #12572
Nobon
Ob. z. s.

Location: 1939-09-13. U-50 ran into a 10+ ship british convoy- I'm planning the approach
Downloads: 73
Uploads: 2
wolf_howl15 hmm2

AA is rigidly disabled. :P Instead MSAA I use Reshade for SMAA antialias, post process- it means 1-2 fps difference you can switch it off via hotkey ingame.

beats FXAA - but works very similar.

shadows on max, everything is on max, but the res is always 1600x900.

I still remember we used some kind of max ram / max video ram, or CPU thread optimization based on system spec...

but beats me where.

The specs are there, I want this game to use it, overheat CPU / GPU as any other XD and not staying cool like I'm only reading freaking emails, while drpping fps to one digit in ports...

Any clue on my modding question? I would love to tailor my mods for 2.2.16. Maybe someone even wants to integrate them, the arrow key controls used t have some attention.

+I really... Need to get rid of loud footsteps + etc. -again- when using Hydro. My fix does nothing anymore sadly. But used to work in 1.05.

BTW I am getting used to the deployed Mg34s, though we have 2 spare inside the conn tower XD... If you say that these are correct in 1939, I might leave them there - (they look awesome, just still making the bridge a bit stuffed for my taste, but I'm getting used to them slowly. Realism is a #1 priority for me even more than my hectic "everything msut look the way I want" stuff.

87% realism (100%-Cams to watch burning targets, and torpedoes run for fun..)
SH5 The Wolves of Steel Megamod- Realnav+Full manual targeting. -no contact updates, no map help.
U-50 forever - still a Smiling bastard
Nobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #12573
fitzcarraldo
Argentinischer Kaleun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobon View Post
AA is rigidly disabled. :P Instead MSAA I use Reshade for SMAA antialias, post process- it means 1-2 fps difference you can switch it off via hotkey ingame.

beats FXAA - but works very similar.

I still remember we used some kind of max ram / max video ram, or CPU thread optimization based on system spec...

but beats me where.

The specs are there, I want this game to use it, overheat CPU / GPU as any other XD and not staying cool like I'm only reading freaking emails, while drpping fps to one digit in ports...

Any clue on my modding question? I would love to tailor my mods for 2.2.16. Maybe someone even wants to integrate them, the arrow key controls used t have some attention.

+I really... Need to get rid of loud footsteps + etc. -again- when using Hydro. My fix does nothing anymore sadly. But used to work in 1.05.

BTW I am getting used to the deployed Mg34s, though we have 2 spare inside the conn tower XD... If you say that these are correct in 1939, I might leave them there - (they look awesome, just still making the bridge a bit stuffed for my taste, but I'm getting used to them slowly. Realism is a #1 priority for me even more than my hectic "everything msut look the way I want" stuff.
But did you try using the ingame AA only? Also I had problems using external AA, etc. The ingame AA, maximized, is very good for me and obtain more than 40-50 in ports with traffic, I fixed it at 30 FPS with Inspector.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:31 AM   #12574
Nobon
Ob. z. s.

Location: 1939-09-13. U-50 ran into a 10+ ship british convoy- I'm planning the approach
wolf_howl15 AA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
But did you try using the ingame AA only? Also I had problems using external AA, etc. The ingame AA, maximized, is very good for me and obtain more than 40-50 in ports with traffic, I fixed it at 30 FPS with Inspector.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Yes, I did tried it.- I'm using SH5 on this very machine since a very long time-
MSAA what is a built in real time antialias in most games, like in SH5, are -very- heavy on the graphics card, if someone has a cool gear, it is not a problem, someone with a strong card sees no drawback, yes. No surprise there.

But this is the first thing that is get rid of by anyone who experiences FPS drops. Stock MSAA is like a luxury.
Instead the Post process Reshade for SMAA is used with tons of games by me, and I used it with stock SH5 and then 1.05 a week ago without any problem, also the FPS drop price for SMAA is 1-2 frames maximum. (yep, tried without it, I gain 1 or 2 fps.) compared to the built in MSAA in SH5 what is usually costs 10 or even 20 frames on mediocre cards.

But the whole topic is not around what config we use, BUT around the fact that I use the same graphics config, same antialias, same machine, same video chip in 2.2.16 as I used in 1.05 a week ago, and the results are:

1.05: unstable as hell, many regular CTDs, but:
-around 20 fps in ports on TC 1
-around 16 fps in ports on TC 64.
-around 60 fps in open sea battles.

2.2.16: had no CTDS whatsoever, seems very stable
-around 1 (!) to 8 total fps in ports on tc1 (feels like stop motion...)
-stable 1... fps in ports on TC 64
-around 40-45 fps in open sea battles. (so definitely using the Nvidia...)

So there IS a huge difference between 1.05 and 2.2.16- I like to find what to get rid of /tailor to my gear- most probably the 32454367568 more unit spawns in ports, maybe the widened render distance, (40km instead of 20) some heavy graphic additions, idunno' yet what is changed.

Also I remember -something- we used to modify to represent your max ram / video ram...? Etc. that SH5 can use.

Of course all of this are totally irrelevant to someone with more than 4gigs of ram on a video card, barely noticeable- yes, I understand.
but on a mediocre machine a drop from 20 fps to 1 XD is quite khm... noticeable. I just need to find out what is changed in 2.2.16 that can cause this, and also somehow remember WHAT we optimized in the cfg files... As the machine is clearly not using the GPU / CPU to the extent it should. (no heat..)

What Kapuhy wrote is interesting though, if he has a 2 gig video card as well- I believe the shadows are a HUGE difference in our case. Second most FPS pricey stuff next to built in AA are shadows.
(my SMAA costs 1-2 fps, so we can say it is the same as I would only playing withssimply turned off built in AA)
Shadows ARE a difference, as I always play with max shadows. The problem is that I would like to find what is changed in 2.2.16 that causes this difference first, rather than lowering the graphics config first.

But before I would pinpoint a mod /feature in 2.2.16 or feature that we can may document as "yep simpleton, you can switch this off / change in TWOS to increase your performance on low/mediocre machines", I'm going to find out what optimization we used to do to specify max ram? or Vram- CPU threads... Etc. in SH5. As maybe I can achieve near-the-same results as in 1.05. If after all the optimization there are still huge FPS difference -then- I aim to find the mod /new feature that costs this much more in 2.2.16

SH5 The Wolves of Steel Megamod- Realnav+Full manual targeting. -no contact updates, no map help.

Last edited by Nobon; 10-11-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #12575
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 547
Uploads: 13

Quote:

but beats me where.
Performances are such as they are. Latest TWoS versions have significantly more traffic in ports and that is the main reason for your poor FPS in harbors, especially Kiel. Note that shadows are the biggest FPS killer in game. I suggest you to disable them (at least in ports)...
I'm not aware of any useful CPU/RAM optimization tweaks for SH5...

EDIT
You can extract TWoS installer using Winrar or 7zip somewhere on your HDD in order to compare the files and optimize your old mods. Just be really careful because TWoS files contain a lot of crucial tweaks and every file in the archive is there for a good reason. Yes, version 2.2 is really stable but that can easily be broken by inadequate modding. Happy hunting!

Last edited by vdr1981; 10-11-2019 at 08:48 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #12576
fitzcarraldo
Argentinischer Kaleun

Quote:
Yes, I did tried it.- I'm using SH5 on this very machine since a very long time-
MSAA what is a built in real time antialias in most games, like in SH5, are -very- heavy on the graphics card, if someone has a cool gear, it is not a problem, someone with a strong card sees no drawback, yes. No surprise there.

But this is the first thing that is get rid of by anyone who experiences FPS drops. Stock MSAA is like a luxury.
Instead the Post process Reshade for SMAA is used with tons of games by me, and I used it with stock SH5 and then 1.05 a week ago without any problem, also the FPS drop price for SMAA is 1-2 frames maximum. (yep, tried without it, I gain 1 or 2 fps.) compared to the built in MSAA in SH5 what is usually costs 10 or even 20 frames on mediocre cards.

But the whole topic is not around what config we use, BUT around the fact that I use the same graphics config, same antialias, same machine, same video chip in 2.2.16 as I used in 1.05 a week ago, and the results are:

1.05: unstable as hell, many regular CTDs, but:
-around 20 fps in ports on TC 1
-around 16 fps in ports on TC 64.
-around 60 fps in open sea battles.

2.2.16: had no CTDS whatsoever, seems very stable
-around 1 (!) to 8 total fps in ports on tc1 (feels like stop motion...)
-stable 1... fps in ports on TC 64
-around 40-45 fps in open sea battles. (so definitely using the Nvidia...)

So there IS a huge difference between 1.05 and 2.2.16- I like to find what to get rid of /tailor to my gear- most probably the 32454367568 more unit spawns in ports, maybe the widened render distance, (40km instead of 20) some heavy graphic additions, idunno' yet what is changed.

Also I remember -something- we used to modify to represent your max ram / video ram...? Etc. that SH5 can use.

Of course all of this are totally irrelevant to someone with more than 4gigs of ram on a video card, barely noticeable- yes, I understand.
but on a mediocre machine a drop from 20 fps to 1 XD is quite khm... noticeable. I just need to find out what is changed in 2.2.16 that can cause this, and also somehow remember WHAT we optimized in the cfg files... As the machine is clearly not using the GPU / CPU to the extent it should. (no heat..)

What Kapuhy wrote is interesting though, if he has a 2 gig video card as well- I believe the shadows are a HUGE difference in our case. Second most FPS pricey stuff next to built in AA are shadows.
(my SMAA costs 1-2 fps, so we can say it is the same as I would only playing withssimply turned off built in AA)
Shadows ARE a difference, as I always play with max shadows. The problem is that I would like to find what is changed in 2.2.16 that causes this difference first, rather than lowering the graphics config first.

But before I would pinpoint a mod /feature in 2.2.16 or feature that we can may document as "yep simpleton, you can switch this off / change in TWOS to increase your performance on low/mediocre machines", I'm going to find out what optimization we used to do to specify max ram? or Vram- CPU threads... Etc. in SH5. As maybe I can achieve near-the-same results as in 1.05. If after all the optimization there are still huge FPS difference -then- I aim to find the mod /new feature that costs this much more in 2.2.16
Are you using 4GB Patch or LAA? Some people using it in SH5, some people not. It was discussed if it has some effect on sh5.exe. Backup your sh5.exe, and try it. I have the sh5.exe patched with LAA and no problems, no bad effect, but not a great improvement, though.

In Kiel I have a fixed 30 FPS with all the anchored ships, traffic, buildings and smokes (smoke addon). Also in Lorient. Using, as told, ingame AA, AF from Nvidia Inspector, x16. All graphics maximized.

The only event with a little slow FPS (18-20) is when I have smoke and water inside the boat - control room. I go to sonar station, close the hatch, and FPS return to my ever fixed 30 FPS.

I added only some cosmetic mods to TWoS (rusted glory, conus crew, Pascal uniforms...), and no problem with they. But it is highly recommended do not use any aditional mod in TWoS, except the included addons.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 10-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #12577
Nobon
Ob. z. s.

wolf_howl15 HMM!

Herr Kaleuns, thank you both of you.

Herr Vdr, that IS an answer, thank you. Then the main suspect is the traffic.

Also, as you mention it, I can only suspect that I used to tweak SHIII... for hardware optimization... I checked all cfg files I can find in SH5 game data, AND in SH5 in documents, but nothing engine related apart from the visual settings you can modify ingame.

Something IS fishy though, as I tried the following:

(reloaded my Kiel port save, as that is the 8 fps one- I just found a 10+ ship convoy yesterday, and my FPS is like 40 there.)

-tried running in win 7 compatibility.
-capped frames to 40 in inspector. Also tried max rendered frames set to 3, (more input lag, but more fps) for no effect.
-tried not just setting the shadows to nil, but setting every slider to zero, and switching off EVERY tickbox.

I gained 2 fps. 2. (10-11 now in Kiel in tc1) so it seems that my card can superbly handle even the max shadows --> as they make no difference. Do not take it wrong, I tried every change and seen ALL the differences in visuals, so they WERE applied alright, (getting more blank and sh*tty) just the fps gain was 1-2...

Why Im harping on this is simple:

-I have 8-9 fps in Kiel, but: my notoriously overheating CPU and GPU remains cool. So the game DOES NOT use the all resources it should. WHile in games when my fps drops below 30 is because the hardware can't handle more, hence heavy heating starts because of the heavy usage...

Also: -SH5 NEVER uses more than 2 gig of ram listed in the processes. Weird. In the middle of Kiel it is 1800 something mb.

Fitzcarraldo sir:

Thanks!
-Where can I find the 4 gig patch? Though it might makes things worse XD
As I read SH5 already uses what it can.

-What is LAA?

There is an antilag injection for SH5, reported broken in win10, (though I use win 8 pro) but I use inspector for max fps cap., and as for the other feature of this "antilag" : reducing input lag usually produces LESS FPS, though more responsive controls, so I wasn't thinking about that. FPS is everything. XD

About modding: I think I found my old explanation how I implemented the arrow key controls for the periscope, so I can make a 2.2.16 version.
There was a short time when it was considered for including as an option in TWOS 1.07.

On the other hand... Hell, applying the officer / crew appearance modifications in those lot of files again is going to be annoying XD

One question: as per current TWOS, where can I switch off the increased rendering distance Open Horizon mod, or what file needs to be modified?

edit:

Hell, it seems I forgot to activate my no loud footsteps etc. mod during hydrophone listening... It might as well still work.

Edit 2: nope, as I check the forum here it did -not- worked ever. So dropping no loud crew sounds during hydrophone idea now.

Good news: apart from I am going to make a 2.2.16 version (modifying the 2.2.16 commands file) of the arrow keys mod, for now I checked my activated mods:

2 of them only contains texture files-

and the weird stuff is: I compared the files from my custom crew mod (Crew_Idle_actions files) with notepad++ compare plugin-
and made my changes to the files from 2.2.16 core.
BUT: the only differences AT ALL was alot of beards activated in 2.2.16 (was already there, jsut someone removed the comment out symbols) and I added an extra hat in mine...
I deactivated the beards XD and added that line with the extra hat.

Bad news, as I suspected these 2.2.16 files are going to be different from the 1.05 stock ones MORE than just some activated beards.
As I suspected ealier that the officer dialogs stopped progressing because of this mod. (my other two mods as I mentioned only contain texture files)
So the only difference my currently activated own mods have compared to 2.2.16 (apart from some texture files) that some lines adding beards and hats were different in my mods files and in 2.2.16 files.

On the first patrol in the baltic mission in 2.2.16 I was able to progress in the personal conversations, more options opened up with each officers, while now they seems to be stuck on their first "personal" conversation lines.

Do you experienced something similar?
Any idea what can be the cause?

Last edited by Nobon; 10-11-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #12578
fitzcarraldo
Argentinischer Kaleun

Large Adress Aware:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/

Similar to 4GB Patch.

Antilag by Kegetys doesn´t work in W10 (and I suspect neither in W8). But you can use as antilag the FPS fixer in Nvidia Inspector.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

Old 10-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #12579
Nobon
Ob. z. s.

wolf_howl15 Hmhm

Thanks!

Meh, I patched the exe, but still not using more than 1800 mb of ram, and in Kiel it's still 8 fps.

I have a gut feeling that only turning off the "improved rendering distance" will help me.

I wish I know how XD as I cannot find Open Horizon in JSGM mods, OR in the Options Viewer Editor anymore

Old 10-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #12580
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

I have a gut feeling that only turning off the "improved rendering distance" will help me.
That patch is disabled by default. 40 km is minimum rendering distance in SH5 and it can not be reduced, in stock or modded game.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #12581
Tonci87
Weps

Downloads: 94

If it is any consolation to you, you will not be spending much time in Kiel. Your homebase will quickly move to Wilhelmshaven, and then later on to france.
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #12582
Tonci87
Weps

Downloads: 94

A new Video showing a surface attack at night

Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #12583
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Great video Tonci! I really love the way you play this game. Slightly boring but very realistic and exciting... Just as it should be!
Old 10-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #12584
slipper
Medic

Downloads: 343

Only recently looking at getting back into SH after playing SH3 some years ago. Regards this mod compilation, is it pretty much up to date regards included mods or are there others anyone would suggest adding?

thanks for any help

regards

slipper
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #12585
les green01
American Hero

Downloads: 816

its pretty much updated regular and only mod you really need most people mess up by throwing mods on top of others mods
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote