SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-24-21, 09:34 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default "The central problem with smartphone use today...

... is you have no idea what the hell its doing."
Not nice to listen to all this, especially near the end.

Since some weeks I have come to not taking my smartphone with me anymore.

I wonder how safe it is to not take a smartphone with a SIM card, but a small tablet that is designed to only use WLAN, and has no option to use mobile internet via SIM card...? You probably are left with the problem that you cannot be certain that if you switch off your WLAN it indeed is switched off.

I could listen for hours to him. So clear. Fact-oriented. Competent. Intelligent. A modern hero who really took and take risks.

Read his book. You need to understand why it is entitled "PERMANENT record".

Last edited by Skybird; 06-24-21 at 09:42 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 09:59 AM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I truly don't understand it.

I do not have my internet on my smartphone open-It's closed and are only open for an hour or so two times per years-This to get updates.

My smartphone does not light up when I receive a text message or a picture-Only when the phone is ringing a phone symbol appear.

Even my Wlan or what they call it is closed and so is Bluetooth.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 10:50 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

You cannot really switch off a technical device like this if you cannot disconnect it from its power source, physically.

And what the device does when the screen goes black, you do not know and cannot know.

How do you know it is really switched off, the mike no recording, the apps not sending, the companies out there not accessing it?

What you should know from the video is that the device and the OS and the apps on it, extract something and beam it into the world. And you have no idea of what it is, because government and business found it a great idea to actively hinder you from knowing that, and have declared data profiles established from your behaviours being not your data, but company property. You have zero control over it, and zero legal claim. No law does protect you, for the laws have been made to protect "them".

But this is your life. A full record of your biograhy since you have first switched on and registered such a device. It gets linked to such profiles established on your behalf when you use other devices. You have no right anymore that your history and oast can get forgotten.

Permanent record. Its a horror novel, only that it is a documentation by an expert who contributed important core parts to the system.

He explains it.

I think the world will go the most dystopian of ways -a dn people will even applaude it and say "How comfortable, how cool, how sexy!"

We criticise and mock China for its privacy right denial laws. Its social score point system. Its censorship of the itnernet.

But in the West they do the very same, or are on the way to do the very same thing. Just more cleverly disguised, the brutality in it more candy-covered and better hidden from awareness.
Old 06-24-21, 02:08 PM   #4
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

New mobiles and tablets offer no possibility to remove the battery, but even then internal capacitors etc. could still run the device for a while, but i digress. Everything you search, type in, look at, at which time you use it, for what, your position, the direction of your current moving and so on can and is being detected.

And this are only the so-called metadata. The providers are also using algorhythms to predict what you will buy, what interests you, where you will go tomorrow and so on, it is all being stored. Permanently. You also get a "score" evaluating your financial capabilities, your political views, and all else.
They have your face (unlock your phone by looking at it - camera - sent - stored), they have your fingerprints, all you call privacy is gone.

Any phone can be switched on by remote, maybe only microphone, camera, movement detectors, or altogether, without the user being aware of it. Since people nowadays write their thoughts directly into facebook, to Whatsapp, you name it, it is all being exploited and stored, and no one seems to have any problem with that. It is all only for your wellbeing, of course.

edit: all new Samsung TVs have cameras and microphones. While you can switch off the camera (if you really can, no way to control), you cannot switch off the microphone. So all you say and comment, behaviour during films, advertising and whatever, is being recorded, and processed. Samsung openly admits this, all for your benefit and to "widen the user experience". Samsung is not the only one, but was the first to openly admit it.

I am always wondering how and why certain types of people willingly develop tools and methods that will make the life of their children and grandchildren unbearable.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 06-24-21 at 02:33 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-21, 02:16 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

The have been games I would like to have, but the demands they want is no-go for me. Like reading my text message - Why does a game like Tetris need to read what my friend send to me via texting ??
Only games I have is game who need a internet connection and who still works when my Internet is shut down on my smartphone.

Markus

Old 06-25-21, 06:48 AM   #6
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
New mobiles and tablets offer no possibility to remove the battery, but even then internal capacitors etc. could still run the device for a while, but i digress. Everything you search, type in, look at, at which time you use it, for what, your position, the direction of your current moving and so on can and is being detected.

And this are only the so-called metadata. The providers are also using algorhythms to predict what you will buy, what interests you, where you will go tomorrow and so on, it is all being stored. Permanently. You also get a "score" evaluating your financial capabilities, your political views, and all else.
They have your face (unlock your phone by looking at it - camera - sent - stored), they have your fingerprints, all you call privacy is gone.

Any phone can be switched on by remote, maybe only microphone, camera, movement detectors, or altogether, without the user being aware of it. Since people nowadays write their thoughts directly into facebook, to Whatsapp, you name it, it is all being exploited and stored, and no one seems to have any problem with that. It is all only for your wellbeing, of course.

edit: all new Samsung TVs have cameras and microphones. While you can switch off the camera (if you really can, no way to control), you cannot switch off the microphone. So all you say and comment, behaviour during films, advertising and whatever, is being recorded, and processed. Samsung openly admits this, all for your benefit and to "widen the user experience". Samsung is not the only one, but was the first to openly admit it.

I am always wondering how and why certain types of people willingly develop tools and methods that will make the life of their children and grandchildren unbearable.
The only winning move is to not play the game...

If you have a "smart tv" the best you can do is set it to use a wired internet connection and never enter a wifi password. You *are* set up with a hidden SSID and require a password, right?
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 07:06 AM   #7
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
The only winning move is to not play the game...
Well you usually can't, when you have a job and want to keep it. I agree that the whole only intensifies pressure and makes people sick, apart from being exploited by all kinds of listeners.

Quote:
If you have a "smart tv" the best you can do is set it to use a wired internet connection and never enter a wifi password. You *are* set up with a hidden SSID and require a password, right?
If you watch anything over the 'net, there has to be an authentication, and (in this case) a connection to Samsung. SSID and password will not help you.
Same with Google's fire tv, though not sure about Apple.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 07:29 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

I wonder to what degree modern TV can link up with Mother while not needing the internet (via the TV signal cable)? When i bought my current Samsung TV some years ago, it updated its firmware although it still was not connected to the WLAN (and isn't).

The risk of permanent records is that they never forget. And if the legal situations change in your country, they also may never forgive. You may find data being used against you about which and about its related actions and events you already have forgotten since years. In fact this is the explicit logic and desire behind big data preventive collection and storing.

Governments, and that explicitly includes Western governments please, not just the usually mentioned villains, love big data and total control, thats why their interest to get there, and the industry's interest to get there, are complementary. "Disputes" about privacy protection when big corproatiosn pose as if they were the last defenders of safety against governments and legislation, are a charade only.

Is there even a brand left producing non-"smart" TVs?

This all is deeply worrying. Like every weapon-capable technology has been used for making weapons indeed every technology allowing to corrupt power and to amass control - will be used for this. Laws and single politicians will not change that.

And once cash money has been forbidden, you cannot avoid having a smartphone or credit card, obviously. They will always find maliciously weaseling ways to enforce their intentions without offering opportunities to call them out for it and call thigns by their real names.

The idea do give every baby a single unique number at its birth to which all future records and actions get linked, also is pushing at this direction. Democracy is a model phasing out. The future speaks Totalitarian. Even in Europe. Even in the US. Everywhere. Technology makes it possible and paves the way.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-25-21 at 07:40 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 08:45 AM   #9
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The extent to which users really don't have total control over their cellphones, or any other connected devices is really surprising; many seemingly otherwise benign apps can exert appalling degrees of control over your phone and, what's worse is the users themselves are giving the apps actual permission to hijack their phones; for almost all apps, there appears, just before installation, a checkbox of some kind where the app, in a usually cursory manner will ask for your permission to do certain things on your phone or have specific access to parts of your phone; the average user, in their eagerness to have the latest and greatest app, will just blithely check the "OK" box and hit "Install", not really giving much of a glance at what they just agreed to, much as an awful lot of people do when they are presented with a EULA or Privacy Notice; I found that I had to have a 'smartphone' because so much of my medial communications were based on enhanced text messages, etc., that my trusty flip phone couldn't handle (Leroy Jethro and I are of similar mind; when I got my smartphone, I did try putting on a very few apps, at first, but soon noticed, even though I disabled the phone's data or WiFi connections after I used either, I would later open the phone for use and find either or both actively engaged; then there was an occasion when I discovered a couple of images I had stored on the phone had disappeared (fortunately, I had already copied them to my PC); it turned out a couple of the apps I had installed were able to turn on WiFi and/or data connections and at least one was able to 'see' and delete images stored on my phone, and those apps were well-known, 'reputable' apps from major providers; needles to say, they were quickly uninstalled and deleted from the phones app library (something you should do if you uninstall an app and really don't want it anymore; apps still left in the library uninstalled still take up storage space and a few can even self-reinstall if another related app finds them on your phone and reactivates them); I now never install any app that makes unnecessary or intrusive access demands as a condition of installation, regardless of how temping the app may be; so far, none of the medically based apps I have had to install have been on condition of relegation of some phone control, but I suspect that has more to do with HIPPA laws than any altruism of the medical entities; if they should ever make unreasonable demands for use, I'm not sure what I will do...

<O>
Old 06-27-21, 07:26 PM   #10
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Well you usually can't, when you have a job and want to keep it. I agree that the whole only intensifies pressure and makes people sick, apart from being exploited by all kinds of listeners.

If you watch anything over the 'net, there has to be an authentication, and (in this case) a connection to Samsung. SSID and password will not help you.
Same with Google's fire tv, though not sure about Apple.
Don't know about you, but my work phone and my personal phone are different. My work phone is owned by the company - I do *nothing* with it other than work email, work calls, and occasional web browsing to find restaurants when in business travel. I take no pics or videos with it, and I text no one outside of work contacts.

For a while they allowed you to use your own phone with the Good app installed in it. Uh, yeah, no. I'm not sharing my personal phone with the company...
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-21, 04:49 PM   #11
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

You really want to isolate your phone from snoopers just put it in a metal box. It won't hear or see anything until you take it back out.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 07:50 PM   #12
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I think every government even my own must be able to monitor communications over the airwaves. I think it’s necessary for its own self preservation. What I am concerned about is the corruption aspect where people use information for personal gain.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 08:58 PM   #13
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

My 2 cents: The internet is the devils highway!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 02:39 PM   #14
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
My 2 cents: The internet is the devils highway!!

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 05:43 PM   #15
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Following is a part from a Danish blog and is about the Danish government illegal logging.
Headline
"DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR PHONE IS ILLEGALLY SUPERVISED BY THE STATE?"

"The European Court of Justice has ruled that logging is illegal. That is why countries such as Sweden, Norway and Germany have also stopped logging their citizens' teledata.
But here in Denmark, the logging of your and my phone continues. Day in and day out.
Apparently, the country's politicians do not care that the logging is a violation of the EU Charter of Human Rights.
And if Minister of Justice Nick Hækkerup gets his way, it could all get worse.
In the spring, Hækkerup presented a proposal that not only data should be tapped from telephones that are in use, but also from telephones that are simply switched on.

Markus