Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-18, 07:56 PM   #16
VikingSail
Watch

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

reporting back:

My main.cfg file has identical graphics setting as yours. They are exactly the same.

About which graphics card the game uses: I am sure the game is running on my nVidia card. I have already set that in the nVidia control panel.

About the scaling setting: none of the options works. I tried every single one of the 5 options (aspect ratio, fullscreen, display scaling, central display, custom aspect ratio).

I also read this here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=239
which is the same topic and since I already tried every possible setting, i don't think I'm going to the right direction.

Now if I think about it, since this is only an in-game issue (meaning that I don't have this problem when in the main menu, in historical missions, or museum, etc), it seems more likely to be a TWoS problem. Before installing the mod, everything worked fine UI-wise. In the screenshot https://imgur.com/a/Fws0X you can see it is obviously some in-game menus messed up (3 layers of menus in the center of the screen). The upper left corner is completely covered up with a black screen - but the mouse cursor can move above it - so I assume this is not a display issue, but rather an UI issue.

This is where I am right now. I have no idea what to do more in order to fix this. It was 7 hours of my life that will never come back.
VikingSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 08:08 PM   #17
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Here is my current TWoS install in JSGME for reference (I'm not using all the optional mods):

TWoS 2.0.0
TWoS 2.1.0 Update (not the latest, so this makes it difficult to compare)
TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID
Shooting Range - Single mission (shouldn't matter)
TWoS_ADJUSTED_Stormys DBSM SH5 v.1.3 Basemod (U-Boot voices)
TWoS_ADJUSTED_DBSM SH5 v.1.3 additional crew sounds beta6
TWoS Map Contact Colors (usually I do without)

Create a new campaign with a NEW name, maybe your saves are corrupted ?
If you have the old 2.1.0 try to load this and see if your problem goes away. If yes chances are it's the new 2.1.x that causes the trouble.
Then, what happens if you unload all mods and launch SH5 stock (1.2.0), does the bunker also show distorted? (again use a NEW career name and campaign).

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-22-18 at 08:20 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-18, 09:09 PM   #18
VikingSail
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Here is my current TWoS install in JSGME for reference (I'm not using all the optional mods):

TWoS 2.0.0
TWoS 2.1.0 Update (not the latest, so this makes it difficult to compare)
TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID
Shooting Range - Single mission (shouldn't matter)
TWoS_ADJUSTED_Stormys DBSM SH5 v.1.3 Basemod (U-Boot voices)
TWoS_ADJUSTED_DBSM SH5 v.1.3 additional crew sounds beta6
TWoS Map Contact Colors (usually I do without)

Create a new campaign with a NEW name, maybe your saves are corrupted ?
If you have the old 2.1.0 try to load this and see if your problem goes away. If yes chances are it's the new 2.1.x that causes the trouble.
Then, what happens if you unload all mods and launch SH5 stock (1.2.0), does the bunker also show distorted? (again use a NEW career name and campaign).
I haven't even played SH5 once. I have no saved games.

It doesn't matter which version of TWoS I load. Even with 2.0.0, it still has this problem when started a new campaign.

As I said above, this only happens with TWoS. Stock game runs perfectly with higher FPS even.

And btw it's not "the bunker shows distorted", it's the extra messed UI boxes on top of normal rendered game graphics. The problem is with the UI, not the graphics.
Old 01-22-18, 09:41 PM   #19
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Have you tried to check fullscreen option in game settings?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-18, 09:51 AM   #20
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingSail View Post
I haven't even played SH5 once. I have no saved games.
I think this is the cause. Before installing any mods, also TWoS, you must 1 time start SH5 stock, go in the Options and save, then quit, and ONLY THEN install any mods.
Old 01-23-18, 10:19 AM   #21
VikingSail
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Have you tried to check fullscreen option in game settings?
Yes. tried it. still not working.
Old 01-23-18, 11:40 AM   #22
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I think this is the cause. Before installing any mods, also TWoS, you must 1 time start SH5 stock, go in the Options and save, then quit, and ONLY THEN install any mods.
I really don't see why should this be the case but it's worth trying...

Any problems, improvisations or error messages during game/mod/generic patcher installation?
Old 01-23-18, 12:46 PM   #23
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 348

Quote:

Any problems, improvisations or error messages during game/mod/generic patcher installation?
the "set path to " when installing TDW gen patcher ?
Old 01-23-18, 10:42 PM   #24
VikingSail
Watch

Quote:
At the first time when I tried to install TWoS, I did went into the game and played a bit. Finished the tutorial mission (the one you were wake up and the war began, sank some polish ships and return to Kiel).
Also, after that each time (I really lost count of) I reinstall SH5 and TWoS, I do start the game once before installing any mod.

Quote:

Not any error messages to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
the "set path to " when installing TDW gen patcher ?
I changed the path in the config file correctly to my main SH5 install folder.

===========================

There is something weird tho.
I noticed there are a bunch of .TDW files *outside* the SH5 install folder. They are:
ScopeSettings.TDW
PageAutomation_Draggables.TDW
PageChalkBoard_Draggables.TDW
PageSpeechRecSettings_Draggables.TDW
PageTDC_Draggables.TDW
PageTutorial_Draggables.TDW
PageXO_TDC_Dialog_Draggables.TDW
Pageeventcamera_Draggables.TDW

These files are 2 layers above outside my SH5 install folder:
My SH5 is installed at F:\Fun\Silent Hunter 5
But these files are found at F:\

A quick search inside my SH5 install folder revealed there are other .TDW files in
Silent Hunter 5\MODS\The Wolves of Steel 2.0.0\data\UserCharts

I think these .TDW files should be put somewhere correctly judging by their names. I just don't know why it was *outside* my SH5 folder in the first place and where to put them correctly.
Old 01-24-18, 02:44 AM   #25
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Excellent! Now we are getting somewhere.
Dragables.tdw files are responsible for ingame screen positioning of UI elements and they are automatically created in the main SH5 install folder once modded game is launched. This is the actual cause of your problems.

Are you absolutely sure that you have installed twos main exe package to F:\Fun\Silent Hunter 5 location?
What about user privileges and read only attributes of your folders?
Old 01-24-18, 04:50 PM   #26
VikingSail
Watch

Quote:
Excellent! Now we are getting somewhere.
Dragables.tdw files are responsible for ingame screen positioning of UI elements and they are automatically created in the main SH5 install folder once modded game is launched. This is the actual cause of your problems.

Are you absolutely sure that you have installed twos main exe package to F:\Fun\Silent Hunter 5 location?
What about user privileges and read only attributes of your folders?
I did some search on subsim and found the user Blitzkrieg posting about the same thing a while ago. He also found these .TDW file outside his SH5 folder. In his case, it was found at D:\ because his game was installed at D:\Games\Silent Hunter 5

I tried to put these files back to the SH5 main folder but nothing has changed.

I am very sure that I installed the TWoS mod to my SH5 root folder (in which sh5.exe is found). Also the Generic Patcher is in \Silent Hunter 5\TDW_GenericPatcher_v_1_0_168_0 I changed the config file for the Generic Patcher to the path F:\Fun\Silent Hunter 5

User permission is fine. No read-only in anything within the SH5 folder since I haven't changed anything particular.

Also, those .TDW files aren't there everytime I reinstall SH5 and TWoS. It appeared only once.

And what do you mean by "two main exe package"? As I see in the main post, there is only 1 TWoS file to be downloaded. After installation, the 2.0.0 version as well as the 2.1.2 patch will be put in the \MOD folder already.
Old 01-24-18, 05:25 PM   #27
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Sure but IIRC, blitzkrieg was crudely copy/pasting his already installed SH5 around which clearly isn't the way how any piece of installed software should be treated. Did you do something similar?

I meant WoS main exe package (~2.2 GB)
Old 01-24-18, 05:56 PM   #28
VikingSail
Watch

Quote:
Sure but IIRC, blitzkrieg was crudely copy/pasting his already installed SH5 around which clearly isn't the way how any piece of installed software should be treated. Did you do something similar?

I meant WoS main exe package (~2.2 GB)
LOL no indeed not.

And yes the TWoS main exe package was installed in the main folder of SH5.
Old 01-24-18, 07:54 PM   #29
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Maybe chose a single name whithout spaces for your SH5 install, mine is installed in C:\Games\SilentHunter5.

Note there are no spaces in the last folder name (to be totally sure with older games, chose no more than 8 letters and single word, and install in C:\ and not in a chineese place). It doesn't matter in all cases, but it can avoid trouble.
Then, check your registry entries to see if 'Ubisoft.......Silent Hunter 5' is pointing to your current install. TWoS or any installer that installs the files at the wrong place has to do with bad registry entries.
Methink that your system needs cleanup before you play SH5

That's where you should navigate: Chose Start > Execute and type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\Si lent Hunter 5\GameUpdate

Here you should see the RIGHT path for your game install. If not, deinstall the game, delete all the 'Silent Hunter 5' folder in the path above, and DON'T MAKE ANY MISTAKE when doing it.
After that, re-install fresh chosing a simple path in C:\ and 'SH5' as the game folder. I bet it will work after that.

It isn't easy but: follow to the letter all instructions in TWoS threat.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-24-18 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 04:06 AM   #30
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi XS
The install spacing is not an issue with SH5 only SH3.
You will notice the default installation uses Silent Hunter 5 not SilentHunter5.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote