Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-08, 09:51 PM   #31
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
I actually have SMG archived at the moment (had it as part of the CWC). Also, had WNLB and ANGV, but they don't come close to SMG.

Did you need to use a slow down utility to make adress SMG's map scrolling?
No, never tried any utility, I just started using the right mouse button to recenter and move it that way.

Quote:
SMG is superb:

* A simple elegant interface.

* Games typically go back and forth until the very end. (which is often extended).

* Every spoken line meant something specific to the game.
I would also add the SMG (for me anyway) was the last of the 'great manual' games (I invented a new category ). Both the main game manual and the Reynolds tactics guide you actually wanted to read like a good book, and made a great game even better.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-08, 11:48 PM   #32
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
I totally agree with Gettysburg! There's no good Civil War gams on the market.
Ditto. Gettysburg is one of the very small handfull of games that has never been uninstalled and always gets moved to any new pc I buy. I was thrilled that I was able to get it to run on my Vista laptop.
Whoa? How'd you do that? Was it Vista 64?
Old 09-09-08, 07:16 AM   #33
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop

Ditto. Gettysburg is one of the very small handfull of games that has never been uninstalled and always gets moved to any new pc I buy. I was thrilled that I was able to get it to run on my Vista laptop.
Whoa? How'd you do that? Was it Vista 64?
Home Premium. All I did was copy the entire game folder from my XP box to the laptop. I did need the Firaxis Win2k compatibility patch to get it to run (which I don't use on the XP box). It looks a little stretched on the latpop's widescreen display, and you don't get the pre-battle map animations (moving arms across the map), videos, etc. But the game plays fine otherwise.
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 05:25 PM   #34
CptGrayWolf
Commander

Downloads: 11

'Boat on the surface captain', 'Now running on diesel engines!'
Woa I'm not the only one playing AOD!
I personaly think they're too many little (and not so little) things wrong with SH3 to make it my number 1 subsim. Here's just a few of these little things that drive me nuts in SH3; I can't even enter the name Christopher Werner, not enough space. Where is La Rochelle? The water depth is way too shallow (in the bay of Biscay for example). Then there's the 'big ones', no wolfpacks, no convoy zig zags, no dynamic radio communications. I'm not sure if all these things I've mentioned have been modded, but still... I remember for a while my SH3 folder became a huge bloated modded monster. But I digress, I don't want to turn this into a SH3 bashing post. SH3 does have some things that it does well, like manual targeting, great eye candy and ear candy too! (hehe ear candy...)
But in the end, AOD is the game that makes me feel like in the Das Boot movie.
I remember reading somewhere that the AOD programmers watched Das Boot over and over again, and it shows!
Aces of the Deep, still king of the atlantic!

Thomas Voltz, U-93 VIIc, Aug 1940, at sea patrol 1
GWX3 Gold, 100%
CptGrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 03:48 AM   #35
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Yes, I agree. The main thing that made me leave AOD in the end was the lack of manual targetting (And even if it had, the graphics are not sharp enough to get accurate data of the target), something that SH3 simulates quite well. But I miss a lot the atmosphere and specially the Wolfpacks. I have not done a single campaign/patrol with a Type VII in the Atlantic with SH3, I find it too stupid to locate a huge convoy and engage it in kamikaze style. So my SH3 careers have always been limited to the Mediterranean, Black Sea and Type IX long range patrols.

AOD still rocks
Old 01-17-09, 03:46 PM   #36
Robert Fulton
Mate

Downloads: 2

And AOD had a nice manual, and a huge fold-out map.

The white victory flags were very cool. I suppose they are available via a mod in SH3?
Robert Fulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 11:23 PM   #37
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fulton
And AOD had a nice manual, and a huge fold-out map.

The white victory flags were very cool. I suppose they are available via a mod in SH3?
I still have the map. I keep it in one of my u-boat books.
Old 01-27-09, 10:14 PM   #38
surf_ten
Loader

Downloads: 2

I know this is an old thread but I could help reminessing on Aces of the Deep. What a classic game. I too have kept the original box, manual, and map. I had the command version where you could use voice activated commands. However I don't think it worked right. I tried loaded in up on my XP a couple of years ago box but it threw an error when I tried to put out to sea.

Dynamix the developer made some great games (Red Baron, Aces over Eupore & Pacific). I loved reading their manuals they gave a good history lesson concerning the war and the various sub commanders and their carreers. AOD even included interviews with the real U-boat aces such as Otto Krestchmer and couple of others whom I don't remember. It's a shame the games today just don't seem to be created with the same tender luvin care and attention to detail. Slap a coat of nifty pixels and shove it out door seems to be today's standard for game developement.
surf_ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 12:41 PM   #39
johnlax
Navy Dude

Downloads: 21
Default Command AOD

guys can someone help me out here what do I have to do ( or get ) to make CAOD work on my PC. I have XP and really want to get back into CAOD. Someone told me that we need some kind of free software patch or program to make this work we attempted to load CAOD and it started up but did not go very far. Can someone help with this?? Thanks. I had SH III but had a hard drive crash and every time I go to relaod it it tells me my id number is not correct and frankly I am unwilling to once again add the many mods I had on it to make it workable. I would be happy to do CAOD at this point thanks!!!!!
johnlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 09:34 AM   #40
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

If you have a modern PC with much memory, you need a memory allocator (see Alloc.exe on my Mediafire page) to reduce the amount of free memory. For me this works.
Old 09-20-09, 06:45 AM   #41
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlax View Post
guys can someone help me out here what do I have to do ( or get ) to make CAOD work on my PC. I have XP and really want to get back into CAOD. Someone told me that we need some kind of free software patch or program to make this work we attempted to load CAOD and it started up but did not go very far. Can someone help with this?? Thanks. I had SH III but had a hard drive crash and every time I go to relaod it it tells me my id number is not correct and frankly I am unwilling to once again add the many mods I had on it to make it workable. I would be happy to do CAOD at this point thanks!!!!!
I don't know about CAOD, but you can simply play AOD with DOSBox. I use the frontend D-Fend reloaded. Loading up DOS games with D-Fend can't be any easier, I love it.
Besides, AOD is better than CAOD. You can play it in fullscreen, no sound glitchs and other reasons I forget right now.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-09, 08:56 AM   #42
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
You can play it in fullscreen, no sound glitchs and other reasons I forget right now
True, but in CAOD you can use the 2:1 mode and actually have double pixels than the original 640x480, giving you a working resolution of 1280x960
Old 09-20-09, 12:56 PM   #43
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
True, but in CAOD you can use the 2:1 mode and actually have double pixels than the original 640x480, giving you a working resolution of 1280x960
With D-Fend Reloaded (DOSBox) you can play around with all kinds of resolutions.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 08:03 PM   #44
ZBrisk
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

I got the CAoD memory problem fixed by going to msconfig, boot.ini, advanced, and setting /MAXMEM.

Unfortunately it still crashes whenever I try to program FATs/LUTs.

How the heck do you form wolfpacks?
ZBrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 10:21 PM   #45
DES_SNIPER
Watch

Downloads: 37

Ahhh....good ol Aces of the Deep.

Spent may hours skipping high school for that game...and where did it get me...oh yea, many more hours of game play

no really, as far as I can remember, it was one of the first subsims that would allow you to use different torps.
DES_SNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote