Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-08, 07:22 PM   #31
dannygjk
Mate

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default SH1 on XP

btw, I tried, (against my better judgement, (25+ years experience)), the suggestion of full install of SH1 then delete the 3 cine files listed in the instructions. XP crashed, (XP Pro SP3). I had to restore to the previous day and reinstall the graphics driver to fix the system. As usual, a dos program screwed up the modern file system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm55
Hi All,

Another option is to install Microsoft Virtual PC. Either 2004 or 2007. With this option you need either Windows 95 or 98 operating systems. I installed Microsoft Virtual PC & then Windows 98. Afterwards, I installed Silent Hunter Commanders Edition. The game runs perfectly. My operating system is XP Pro. So for those of you that either have Windows 95 or 98 laying around, I highly recommend that you go to the Microsoft site & download Microsoft Virtual PC, as it's a free download.
Man this is just overkill to get silent hunter 1 working on windows xp.
Really, all you need to install is dosbox a meager 5MB program and then install SHI directly over it.
Job done, the game can run windowed or full screen at full speed.
dannygjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 10:14 PM   #32
kweigel
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default FINALLY - THE ANSWER to RUNNING SH ON XP

The answer is: don;t do it! I have tried eveything with NO success.

SO DON"T TRY IT. Here is what I did and it works perfectly.

I bought an old hard drive at the local PC Recycle. Cost me $10.00. It was a FAT32 system. (Be sure it is a FAT32 system, it will not work if it is NFTS) I then disconnected my primary HD, and connected it to the ribbon connector in the primary position. I then installed W98 on it, and I then installed SH.

SH installed with no problem and I played a number of games on it. It is still a GREAT GAME!

I disconnected the old hard drive from the primary position on the ribbon connector and re-connected it to the secondary position on the ribbon connector. I then re-connected my primary HD to the primary position onthe ribbon connector.

I then went into SETUP and "turned off" the secondary hard drive, so my computer will now boot from the primary HD. If I want to play SH, all I have to do is go into setup, and "turn off" the primary HD and boot from the "secondary" HD. I don't even have to open the case.

By the way, you can leave the secondary HD on, XP will recognize it as a secondary drive and you can save your important files to it.

After YEARS of trying to get SI to work under XP, I found this to be the solution.

I am sure Partition Magic would work too - I just did not have a copy, and it is far more expensive than the $10.00 I spent for this used HD.
kweigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 10:41 PM   #33
goldorak
Admiral

@ kweigel : obviously you did something wrong because my SH I is going great from within dosbox in windows xp. No need to buy obsolete hardware, just install the 5 MB dosbox program and then SH I on top of it. 15 minutes and you're ready to enjoy the pacific in svga glory.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-08, 06:04 AM   #34
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweigel
After YEARS of trying to get SI to work under XP, I found this to be the solution.
I agree with Goldorak, I can't believe you have to go through all of that to get the game to run, something is wrong. I have SH (and a slew of old games) running under Dosbox on 2 different XP machines AND my new Vista laptop with no problems at all. I didn't even install SH on the Vista laptop, I just dragged the entire directory from one of my XP machines, fired up Dosbox and launched the game. Couldn't be easier...
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-08, 01:07 PM   #35
ABBAFAN
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaragdadler
in short: make a full install then delete copyr.smk,logo444.smk and skin.smk-files. That takes away the intro, but it should run fine from then...
where are these files found?
Old 07-08-09, 05:25 PM   #36
paulco
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygjk View Post
btw, I tried, (against my better judgement, (25+ years experience)), the suggestion of full install of SH1 then delete the 3 cine files listed in the instructions. XP crashed, (XP Pro SP3). I had to restore to the previous day and reinstall the graphics driver to fix the system. As usual, a dos program screwed up the modern file system.
Hi, noticed your Post while looking for something else:-

Man this is just overkill to get silent hunter 1 working on windows xp.
Really, all you need to install is dosbox a meager 5MB program and then install SHI directly over it.
Job done, the game can run windowed or full screen at full speed.

Not so good with computers as a lot of you out their, Can you please tell me what you mean by "install SHI directly over it".

I have installed SH1 with dosbox 0.73 programme is running fine apart from everything telling me it's in fullscreen mode when it's running in the middle of the screen in a large black border. Have beem trying to get this running for some weeks now. Also awaiting arrival of SHCE from the USA and hoping not to have same problem. Any help please.

Thanks

Paul
Old 02-06-10, 05:25 PM   #37
CTarana
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Here's what I did... I went to the website below and downloaded his 30 meg FSHistory package, the DosBox based one. I installed it and everything works perfectly under WinXP Pro SP3. Once I got comfortable working with the FS files, I set up a folder for Silent Hunter under the FS/ subfolder. I added a new profile for Silent Hunter and everything worked great the first time! 10 out of 10! I can even see the opening videos that I couldn't see when it was installed on my Win98 machine.

http://www.volny.cz/havlikjosef/historyenglish.htm

The DosBox based package uses "DFend" as a front end and it's very easy to use. I was able to add another 8 flightsims that were DOS only and a golf simulation that needed SB-16 support.

ChristopherT
CTarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 11:11 PM   #38
dannygjk
Mate

Downloads: 2

Hi,

Ok, I am tired of messing around to get old programs to work on newer machines/OS's. For God's sake I've done a lot of technical work on computers, (Assembly language programming etc), when I want to play an old game I just want to install the thing and play it. I don't want to spend valuable time searching online and learning to use various solutions. I had a laptop that would run SHCE straight from a routine install. Unfortunately I no longer have that machine, (Compaq Presario 1255 running Win 98SE).
Some of the so-called solutions will not work because the graphics hardware in some machines does not support them. Emulators are the best general-purpose solution, but that requires me to figure out how to use it.
My preference is to always have an old machine running an old OS. Simple and easy. K.I.S.S.
dannygjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 04:29 PM   #39
CTarana
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygjk View Post
Hi,
hardware in some machines does not support them. Emulators are the best general-purpose solution, but that requires me to figure out how to use it.
My preference is to always have an old machine running an old OS. Simple and easy. K.I.S.S.
Actually 90% of the problem using an older DOS game under WinXP isn't running the game. I have a copy of Microsoft FS4.0b that runs right from WinXP Pro. It's getting the sound to work properly. If you are technically minded then going out and getting an old sound card that's Soundblaster compatible would work too.

ChristopherT
Old 02-08-10, 05:32 PM   #40
CTarana
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak View Post
@ kweigel : obviously you did something wrong because my SH I is going great from within dosbox in windows xp. No need to buy obsolete hardware, just install the 5 MB dosbox program and then SH I on top of it. 15 minutes and you're ready to enjoy the pacific in svga glory.
I found using DFend that I had to mount the C:\ drive instead of C:\Silent to get the simulation to run. Now DFend complains about that being a bad practice, but SH1 runs excellent now. SHCE runs great too, but it only needed the subfolder mounted.

ChristopherT