Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-07, 10:58 PM   #16
jtm55
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Hi All,

Another option is to install Microsoft Virtual PC. Either 2004 or 2007. With this option you need either Windows 95 or 98 operating systems. I installed Microsoft Virtual PC & then Windows 98. Afterwards, I installed Silent Hunter Commanders Edition. The game runs perfectly. My operating system is XP Pro. So for those of you that either have Windows 95 or 98 laying around, I highly recommend that you go to the Microsoft site & download Microsoft Virtual PC, as it's a free download.
jtm55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 07:58 PM   #17
QuillOmega0
Watch

Downloads: 9

http://www.subsowespac.org/sh_xp/silent_hunterxp.shtml

I'm surprised you guys don't know of this. This is guranteed to work.

(Yea I know the topic is old, but I just wanted to post this)
QuillOmega0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 10:41 PM   #18
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I had it running on my old system with VDMS very nicely, but I could not get it to run on my new system with VDMS. On the other hand, the new system has enough power to run SHCE under DOSBOX very smoothly.

So, I would not say guaranteed. However, it is definitely worth a try especially if you have a system with inadequate CPU cycles to run SHCE under DOSBOX well. Certainly, the overhead for the NTVM is much less than DOSBOX.
Old 07-18-07, 01:06 PM   #19
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I'm surprised you guys don't know of this. This is guranteed to work.
We knew it well but the topic goes about DOSBOX as some people prefer it rather than the painful procedure described there. Also DOSBOX allows using other old games
Old 08-15-07, 05:00 PM   #20
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm55
Hi All,

Another option is to install Microsoft Virtual PC. Either 2004 or 2007. With this option you need either Windows 95 or 98 operating systems. I installed Microsoft Virtual PC & then Windows 98. Afterwards, I installed Silent Hunter Commanders Edition. The game runs perfectly. My operating system is XP Pro. So for those of you that either have Windows 95 or 98 laying around, I highly recommend that you go to the Microsoft site & download Microsoft Virtual PC, as it's a free download.
Man this is just overkill to get silent hunter 1 working on windows xp.
Really, all you need to install is dosbox a meager 5MB program and then install SHI directly over it.
Job done, the game can run windowed or full screen at full speed.
goldorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 02:23 PM   #21
GreyBeard
Engineer

Downloads: 257

I just installed SH-CE on WIN/XP. Works fine simply by deleting the files mentioned by Smaragdadler in an earlier post above. The mouse was quite slow at first, but I've corrected that through the control panel. My Creative Audigy 2 ZS sound card used to be a problem. I guess updating the drivers corrected that, although the sound is a wee little bit scratchy, but all in all very usable. I had SH-CE installed on the same computer already by using WIN/ME on a separate partition and utilizing the on-board sound. Guess I don't need that anymore. When installing the program I got a message that the Extended XMS Memory did not meet the requirements needed, whatever that means. I ignored it and installed the program anyway. Glad I did. Now if I could just get Panzer Commander to function properly on XP....................
GreyBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 11:18 AM   #22
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

http://www.subsowespac.org/downloads.shtml
Old 11-12-07, 03:49 AM   #23
jmanwell
Swabbie

Downloads: 14

I've installed Silent Hunter Commanders Edition on a Compaq TC 1000 and a Compaq TC 1100 just recently using the instructions on subsowespac.org. Everything runs fine even the beginning clips. I'm trying to get SHCE to run on a Microsoft Virtual PC using the Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 edition. Currently, I have Windows 98 running on the VPC, and the game works fine; I just can't view the beginning clips. I hear them fine just can't see them. If I hit the spacebar a few times the main menu comes up and the game runs great!! Any suggestions on what might cause the beginning clips to not show. Also, I'm thinking of getting rid of the TC1000 that has SHCE on it. If any are interested, let me know.
jmanwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 04:53 AM   #24
rodan54
Navy Dude

Downloads: 4

Been itching for some good ole SH1 moments as of late. I just recently recoverd my game cd, however I'm at a loss as to what exactly I need to get her up and running.

At the moment I've just installed the game from the cd, but when I click on the SH.exe the black command prompt loads for a split seconds then disappears.

Also tried this after having deleted the 3 troublesome cinematic files, and setting the game to run in windows 95 compatibiliy mod but still no go.

Any ideas?

Oh, and this is on a windows xp system btw.
rodan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 10:26 PM   #25
GreyBeard
Engineer

Downloads: 257

@rodan54: Did you run setsound.exe in the games main folder?
GreyBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 08:34 PM   #26
rodan54
Navy Dude

Downloads: 4

Thanks for the advice, I fiddled with the sound settings a bit. Now she's working like a charm.

Never thought it'd be that easy.
rodan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 11:50 PM   #27
Yellowbeard
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtm55
Hi All,

Man this is just overkill to get silent hunter 1 working on windows xp.
Really, all you need to install is dosbox a meager 5MB program and then install SHI directly over it.
Job done, the game can run windowed or full screen at full speed.
I have a delemma. I have WinXP, P3-767Mhz, 512MB RAM, SBLive soundcard and built-in video. I cannot run SHIII cause I get "no 3D" error msg. So, what about SHII? If I get the DOSBOX, it should work, right?:hmm:
Yellowbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 09:27 AM   #28
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

SH1 (Not 2) should work in DOSBOX and also using the tips at subsowespac.org
Old 04-29-08, 07:17 PM   #29
Yellowbeard
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
SH1 (Not 2) should work in DOSBOX and also using the tips at subsowespac.org
Only 1! Not 2!
Holy Mackeral, Amos! Let's see...:hmm: either I get a new PC with the bells/whistles or scrounge around for a 486 with win95/98...
Yellowbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 05:39 PM   #30
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

You misunderstand, I think. SH2 runs fine on WinXP. It doesn't need DosBox.