SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-21, 09:24 AM   #1
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Default Made the Leap

Hello all,

I decided it was time to try this simulation. Although I'm a Pacific sub fan, I generally like(WW2) submarine simulations no matter the theater. Uboat is nothing short of a very different take for a submarine simulation. A very positive experience and overall very enjoyable. I'm a bit surprised there is not more involved in playing. Maybe there is but just not active here.

The learning curve is steep. I muddle my way through the tutorials. My first attempt at torpedo attack I had 4 torpedoes spinning circles around my conning tower. Sigh... There are some very good Youtube tutorials posted by some members from here. I will be watching those.

The game is certainly a resource hog. I run the following:

1.CPU AMD Phenom x4 9850 at 2.5Ghz. (although my AMD videocard program claims I'm running a AMD FX-4300 3.8 Ghz. Maybe I am. But I doubt it. I will look into that further.

2. MSI AMD ATI Radeon RX480 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

3. Originally 8GB RAM. I bumped to 16GB RAM for $54.00.(this resolved an unplayability issue)

Without increasing RAM the game was crashing. Although I'm at the minimum for some of the specs, I can still tweak the in game graphics to excellent graphics. 40 FPS. Overall, the graphics(water action and greenish color) are the best I have seen.

Now, if I could just get through the torpedo attack tutorial. Tried twice. I can't figure out allowing the crew to do the calculations for the torpedoes.
Old 01-25-21, 11:48 AM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

The biggest favor you can do yourself is download the TDC mod from steam workshop.

if you can put together a solution in SH3, you will be able to do it in Uboat without any trouble.

When i first started playing Uboat i was NOT a fan of their methods when it came to planning a torpedo attack
Old 01-25-21, 11:59 AM   #3
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Hello GR!

T did see that mod in a video! I plan on that after playing the vanilla version for a bit. Playing the vanilla version gets a bit confusing. When playing the tutorial for torpedo attack it states to click the crewman then right click the target to start the torpedo solution. I'm doing it wrong for some reason because the tutorial instruction never disappears. I click this and that but still the instructions to click the crewman and then right click the ship. So I click my man on the scope. Right click the target. Navigation changes!?! And so still stands the written instructions in the middle of the screen. I'll keep at it
Old 01-25-21, 06:42 PM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

As it turns out I do have the FX-4300 at 3.8ghz.
Old 01-26-21, 10:39 PM   #5
Lite_ly Salted
A-ganger

Downloads: 0

I have full, top down step-by-step tutorials posted here on the forum under B128-based Tutorial series. Here is the link to the YouTube playlist:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...3sXMzo0pchmLm3

Happy hunting!
Lite_ly Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 11:48 AM   #6
70shelby1943
Swabbie

Downloads: 658
Default find KeyBoard commands on net on UBOAT

Could tell me how can i find KeyBoard commands for changing Deck gun to which from HP AP or the Star Shells??

i do like SH5 and SH3 but i can find Comand Key info!
70shelby1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 10:20 PM   #7
Lite_ly Salted
A-ganger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shelby1943 View Post
Could tell me how can i find KeyBoard commands for changing Deck gun to which from HP AP or the Star Shells??

i do like SH5 and SH3 but i can find Comand Key info!
. and , move up or down the ammo type list as required.

For more quick commands:
Lite_ly Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 09:14 AM   #8
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Thanks for the videos. These are a big help.
Old 01-28-21, 05:29 PM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_ly Salted View Post
I have full, top down step-by-step tutorials posted here on the forum under B128-based Tutorial series. Here is the link to the YouTube playlist:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...3sXMzo0pchmLm3

Happy hunting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Thanks for the videos. These are a big help.

Welcome to the party AVG. At first, I was not enjoying this game, too much micro-managing, but the game has improved alot since then. It's a totally different experience, which is a lot of fun. I find some of the interface a little frustrating at times, but I'm figuring the game out more. I wasn't playing enough to learn anything. There are lots of good tutorials out there, but I like salty's because the require less time to watch.
Old 01-28-21, 08:47 PM   #10
Dahoon
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
When playing the tutorial for torpedo attack it states to click the crewman then right click the target to start the torpedo solution. I'm doing it wrong for some reason because the tutorial instruction never disappears.

The tutorial is broken. You need to either keep trying and hope for the best or watch some YouTube instead
Old 01-29-21, 08:52 AM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoon View Post
The tutorial is broken. You need to either keep trying and hope for the best or watch some YouTube instead

Sheesh...I thought it was me! I do have the game set to realistic targeting and do the calculations manually. I was finally able to sink the target. However, I surface and radio in. No other instruction after that. So I started to head to home port. Maybe this tutorial will show complete when I dock.
Old 01-29-21, 09:00 AM   #12
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
Welcome to the party AVG. At first, I was not enjoying this game, too much micro-managing, but the game has improved alot since then. It's a totally different experience, which is a lot of fun. I find some of the interface a little frustrating at times, but I'm figuring the game out more. I wasn't playing enough to learn anything. There are lots of good tutorials out there, but I like salty's because the require less time to watch.
Ahoy sir! Long time no talk too. I hope your neck of the woods is treating you well. The game is a very different experience. As far as micro-manage, the game genre lends time for it IMO. As torpedo attacks develop there is time to manage the boat and crew. But I agree with things such as setting up compressed air after surfacing. These should be an automatic activity for the crew. Maybe the captain ordered it(IRL) after surfacing. I don't know. Yes, salty's videos are a huge help.

Remember back in the day we would buy the disc that came in a box full of other goodies? Such as keyboard layout and small pamphlet with other instructions. Loading the disc and hearing it whirrrr away as the files loaded. Good times...good times.
Old 01-31-21, 11:45 AM   #13
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Ahoy sir! Long time no talk too. I hope your neck of the woods is treating you well. The game is a very different experience. As far as micro-manage, the game genre lends time for it IMO. As torpedo attacks develop there is time to manage the boat and crew. But I agree with things such as setting up compressed air after surfacing. These should be an automatic activity for the crew. Maybe the captain ordered it(IRL) after surfacing. I don't know. Yes, salty's videos are a huge help.

Remember back in the day we would buy the disc that came in a box full of other goodies? Such as keyboard layout and small pamphlet with other instructions. Loading the disc and hearing it whirrrr away as the files loaded. Good times...good times.

I'm on your side of the country now, Upstate, NY
I think the game with the best extras, had to have been AotD. When there was a patch, they mailed you the disk!
Old 02-01-21, 09:27 AM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Up by Lake Erie? I'm still outside Bawlmer MD. LOL
Old 02-01-21, 08:24 PM   #15
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

well i took the leap the new computer runs it great but this game don't wow me almost feels like i took a step back into early 90's don't know if i will try the mods or just trash it