SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-21, 10:58 PM   #1
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0
Default Starting first patrol from Kiel mid to late war

Greetings Kaleuns,

I've started an interesting process for choosing my new campaigns. I use a random number generator to decide what my U-boat number is, then research that boat's history and try to start the campaign as close to its first patrol date as possible with the correct Flotilla, equipment, emblem etc. After that I'm happy to re-write history so to speak and let the game play out with whatever happens. Many U-boats historically commenced their first patrols from Kiel, passing through the gap between the Faroes and Iceland before arriving at their new bases on the French coast.

Anyone have any good suggestions for how to replicate that in game? For example, a boat might be assigned to the 7th Flotilla based at St. Nazaire in 1943. I'm playing GWX and unfortunately there aren't any Flotillas at Kiel by that year. I guess this would involve modifying Flotilla.cfg or such, or maybe utilising Commander in some way. Any thoughts or suggestions really appreciated.

Last edited by stork100; 02-09-21 at 11:49 PM.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 01:38 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Hi Stork,

I too, use to play historical numbers and dates with correct captain name and emblem, starting correct place.
As you discovered it, past a certain date you can’t start from Kiel, but directly from French base…
Only way I know to turn this around, is to choose an U-Boat existing just before the French bases opening.
This way we start from Kiel, then in the trip to patrol area we are asked to reach the French base
But they are not that much!...

Now, I’m not familiar enough with campaign files to change the starting bases...
Could be in the flotilla Cfg also. But probably more than one place to edit!

If someone could enlight us for the exact process to give Kiel for any U-Boat starting base, once the French bases are opened, I’ll take it too!

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 07:59 PM   #3
stork100
Weps

Thanks Fifi, appreciate your thoughts. Yes, the mid-patrol 'base change' orders are as close as we can get now without modifying other things. We'll see if the others have anything. May look into it myself eventually. It's not essential but it would be a nice additional feature.

Old 02-11-21, 12:58 AM   #4
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
Thanks Fifi, appreciate your thoughts. Yes, the mid-patrol 'base change' orders are as close as we can get now without modifying other things. We'll see if the others have anything. May look into it myself eventually. It's not essential but it would be a nice additional feature.

As you say not essential, but always nice to get closer to historical facts

Also we should always start with turm 1, any year
Numerous U-Boats still had first turm even in 43/44!
Starting career in 42 with VIIC, have to downgrade my turm to match history
Not to say the Alberich...so few had it, i never take this option!
It was still in experimentation middle war, U-Boats loosing half the rubber panels in bad weather. I even think they never found the correct way to stick the whole stuff...
Old 02-11-21, 04:39 AM   #5
stork100
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Starting career in 42 with VIIC, have to downgrade my turm to match history
And you get charged days in base for the downgrade. Should give a boost of renown instead.
Old 02-11-21, 01:14 PM   #6
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stork100 View Post
Greetings Kaleuns,

I've started an interesting process for choosing my new campaigns. I use a random number generator to decide what my U-boat number is, then research that boat's history and try to start the campaign as close to its first patrol date as possible with the correct Flotilla, equipment, emblem etc. After that I'm happy to re-write history so to speak and let the game play out with whatever happens. Many U-boats historically commenced their first patrols from Kiel, passing through the gap between the Faroes and Iceland before arriving at their new bases on the French coast.

Anyone have any good suggestions for how to replicate that in game? For example, a boat might be assigned to the 7th Flotilla based at St. Nazaire in 1943. I'm playing GWX and unfortunately there aren't any Flotillas at Kiel by that year. I guess this would involve modifying Flotilla.cfg or such, or maybe utilising Commander in some way. Any thoughts or suggestions really appreciated.
What I do when I want to transfer to another flotilla is start a new patrol from my base, say Kiel, and then journey to the new flotilla I am joining, and be just far enough away to say St. Nazaire as to not dock there when I end mission. The game will then return you to Kiel technically, but if you transfer then and your base changes, you have technically already made the journey so it doesn't feel like you have just teleported across the map.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 01:20 PM   #7
Fifi
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatsOfStrength View Post
What I do when I want to transfer to another flotilla is start a new patrol from my base, say Kiel, and then journey to the new flotilla I am joining, and be just far enough away to say St. Nazaire as to not dock there when I end mission. The game will then return you to Kiel technically, but if you transfer then and your base changes, you have technically already made the journey so it doesn't feel like you have just teleported across the map.
Hey! Not a bad idea!
But if you start April 41 at flotilla 7, you don’t start from Kiel!...directly at St Naz.