SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-21, 10:04 PM   #1
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default More stupidity.

Pardon me for being an old SH2, SH3 guy...but I think it's time to dump these old games? I have spent the last 2 months trying to get SH3 and GWX3 and ARB and any other acronyms you can possibly think of...to work. After all that work...what do I find? My own ships attacking me during my very first career mission. My own ships attacking each other!
I do believe there comes a time when we must "throw some dirt" on our old faves. I believe that time is now for SH3 (GWX or otherwise). No matter how many people I talk to, no matter how many "patches" and "Mods" and "yadda, yadda, yadda" I try...it's always the same. Before you jump on...I was the guy who spent YEARS making FS9 work...because FSX SUCKED. I have spent countless hours trying to make my old faves work.

I just don't think, after all the crap that I've done, that SH3 is viable.

I do appreciate everyone's help in this, my last attempt...but, at some point, we must realize that really OLD stuff is just...really old stuff?

For myself, I believe I will look for new simulations. I have spent decades trying to "relive" the old ones...I believe it is time to give that up.

May you always reach the surface.
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 12:01 AM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

With all due, with all the mistakes you made applying mods I wouldn't be quick to blame the game for anything.
On top of that, you do a post wanting help for one problem, get help for that problem but before getting it solved, jump into something else and then post wanting help solving that problem.
Plenty of folks here glad to help but you've got to quit running in circles so the help actually gets a chance to........help.
Old 02-07-21, 12:12 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

/\ "post of the year" contender! One of the prerequisites of 'mod soup' cookin' is Patience! Your mild admonishment was definitley .... Minnesoda Nice!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-07-21 at 12:23 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 02:10 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Issues & blaming the game when there ARE other reasons for them...

Just going to say, based on what I have seen thus far (and this is in NO way putting the individual down, just to clarify that point...) seems to be a case in point of a player, being a 'gung ho iguana'... meaning 1 who jumps without looking into the fray then gets frustrated when things don't go the way it is perceived that it should...

Even I, Myself.. have been guilty of this, more on more than 1 occasion, I do have to openly & freely admit.

Major difference here, is... not once, did I ever blame the game for the issue/s faced, because of that.

If anything, I have taken time to try & figure out where things went south, as it were... & failing that, taken time to find out from others to fix issues.

The main point here, being... remain patient, keep calm & not let the issues make you lose your cool. & most importantly, take your time in looking for & working out things so that the game works without issues.

Hopefully prowler, does so... but... that is entirely up to them, on if they do so or not.

Subsim, does have those who are more than willing to assist when needed, heck, I don't know everything on every lil' issue or hiccup that comes down the pike.. but what I do know, I'll share in the hopes that it helps to resolve issues when they occur... & for the most part, it has been helpful to those I have. Which is a good feeling knowing it did.

M. M.

Old 02-07-21, 11:49 PM   #5
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

I understand your frustration, prowler, but please do not give up yet! I am also an old SH3 player who got back into the game just recently after being away for over ten years!

At first, I was intimidated and confused by the multiplicity of mods and mod prerequisites and requirements regarding mod order, mod incompatibilities, etc. However, with the help of other players such as John Pancoast and Fifi, among others (thanks guys), I was able to get SH3 up and running.

My advice is to go slow and keep things simple. Apply the 1.4 patch and 4gb memory patch first (even if you have done it before), run the game to make sure the base game works, then try one of the super mods. Once you are sure the super mod works (along with any included optional sub-mods), you can then try slowly adding any additional mods--be sure to take note of instructions regarding mod install order, and only add one or two mods at a time so you can quickly identify which mod might be causing a problem.

Good luck, and if you have any questions or doubts about how to apply or use a mod, please ask before doing anything.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 03:44 PM   #6
gord96
Commodore

Downloads: 57

sorry to hear about your troubles. but a bit silly to say 'I just don't think, after all the crap that I've done, that SH3 is viable' or 'we must realize that really OLD stuff is just...really old stuff?' when tons of people here are still enjoying modded SH3 with no issues. I just came back to SH3 after a long hiatus and am enjoying it. So ya, SH3 is quite viable.
gord96 is offline   Reply With Quote