SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-13, 02:07 PM   #61
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Bold launchers and flak guns now can be damaged and destroyed ...

It's interesting that this only works when destroyable=Yes in ubold definition in zone.cfg file. It's the same for rudders and dive planes... So far , the only way to make some equipment unusable is to remove their 3D object from the game... Default Destructable=No value doesn't do anything...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-12-13 at 02:25 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 04:01 PM   #62
vdr1981
Navy Seal

I have just discovered that most of added damage isn't savable if equipment is not compleatlly destroyed(rudders, propelers,etc. )...(FU ubisoft)

Now, can this be solved or everything is futile ?
Old 09-14-13, 06:29 AM   #63
vdr1981
Navy Seal

...and bigger problem, damage level for every individual compartment also isn't savable so only thing you need to do if flooding is detected is to save and reload the game...This is so disappointing.

The problem is ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in the save folder...But why damage for diesels,electric engines and batteries is properly saved and for other equipment is not , i really don't have a clue...
Old 09-14-13, 07:03 AM   #64
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
I have just discovered that most of added damage isn't savable if equipment is not compleatlly destroyed(rudders, propelers,etc. )...(FU ubisoft)

Now, can this be solved or everything is futile ?
Quote:
...and bigger problem, damage level for every individual compartment also isn't savable so only thing you need to do if flooding is detected is to save and reload the game...This is so disappointing.

The problem is ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc file in the save folder...But why damage for diesels,electric engines and batteries is properly saved and for other equipment is not , i really don't have a clue...
I think there's just one simple answer to your questions: either damage values are not read correctly from the savefile or, more likely, they are not stored at all. The same happens with AI units' damage and with their odnance loadouts: exit the game, or move away from them beyond the "SH5 rendered world", and the above values are reset.

Unfortunately there's no way we can fix these flaws. Atm our only chance to see them ironed out, if ever possible, is TDW to address them
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 07:15 AM   #65
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
...they are not stored at all. The same happens with AI units' damage and with their odnance loadouts: exit the game, or move away from them beyond the "SH5 rendered world", and the above values are reset.

Unfortunately there's no way we can fix these flaws. Atm our only chance to see them ironed out, if ever possible, is TDW to address them
That is the case ... here's entry from ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc for engines...

Code:
Damage=0.059412
DamageHitpointsConsumed=5.941178
RemainingRepairTime=0000-00-25 07:46:36
And this is for propellers

Code:
Damage=0.000000
DamageHitpointsConsumed=0.000000
RemainingRepairTime=0000-00-00 00:00:00
So damage isn't stored at all...What's going on with TDW, is hi still around?
Old 09-14-13, 08:41 AM   #66
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
That is the case ...
Well at least there are entries in the savefiles for the damage levels of all the equiments/compartments, not only the ones whose damage is getting stored correctly.

Try doing this: save a game, update manually damage levels in its upc file, and reload it. Hopefully the game will read damage levels though not storing them.

Quote:
What's going on with TDW, is hi still around?
yes, give him time and he will pop up at some time
Old 09-14-13, 08:48 AM   #67
volodya61
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 374
Uploads: 0

Quote:
..yes, give him time and he will pop up at some time
When he disappeared last year (last Autumn), he came back only after Christmas ..

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos © - and for some people awakening will be cruel
volodya61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 09:05 AM   #68
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
When he disappeared last year (last Autumn), he came back only after Christmas ..
At least we are prepared now
Old 09-14-13, 01:38 PM   #69
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Yesssss!, UZO and periscopes are finally destructible ! Although, clicking on UZO station after it's been destroyed will cause CTD sometimes but i can live with that... I was experimenting with wrong periscopes... I should use wire from the beginning... Also, i have an idea how to make some compromises because of the save problem. For example, one rudder will be 100% more durable then the other. That way, one will be destroyed with single good shot so if you do save, on next reload you'll have sub with just single rudder. This will affect sub's turn capability...Same for propelers and dive planes...
Old 09-14-13, 03:00 PM   #70
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yesssss!, UZO and periscopes are finally destructible !

Quote:
Although, clicking on UZO station after it's been destroyed will cause CTD sometimes but i can live with that...
Have you set the UZO as destructible? Is it physically removed from the boat when its HP's reach 0? I wonder why CTD's only happen with it, and not with periscopes

Quote:
I was experimenting with wrong periscopes... I should use wire from the beginning...
Just as I said

Quote:
Also, i have an idea how to make some compromises because of the save problem. For example, one rudder will be 100% more durable then the other. That way, one will be destroyed with single good shot so if you do save, on next reload you'll have sub with just single rudder. This will affect sub's turn capability...Same for propelers and dive planes...
If I have understood properly, damage levels of some equipments are not saved, unless they get destroyed, in which case they are absent from the bot the next time a save game is reloaded. Is it so?

In any case I don't see your point about giving similar equipments different HPs. How is it going to help? Imo, while we wait for a proper fix, it is better leaving them as they are
Old 09-14-13, 03:59 PM   #71
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:

Have you set the UZO as destructible? Is it physically removed from the boat when its HP's reach 0? I wonder why CTD's only happen with it, and not with periscopes
Yes and Yes...It's something about camera controller. Periscopes are set to destrutable=No and only movement up and down is unavailable ,although you can still look through them and move view but they are pinned to down possition, ext.obj. controller is disabled , i think. When set UZO to destrutable=No nothing happens. I will check some other possibilities also... So far i think that only way to make UZO unusable is to disable his camera contr. Works just fine if you don't hit click spot where UZO were...

Quote:
If I have understood properly, damage levels of some equipments are not saved, unless they get destroyed, in which case they are absent from the bot the next time a save game is reloaded. Is it so?
Yes...

Quote:
In any case I don't see your point about giving similar equipments different HPs. How is it going to help? Imo, while we wait for a proper fix, it is better leaving them as they are
For now there are two possibilities ... Let's say you have two rudders with 50 HP...One direct hit will leave both of them with ~20HP and their efficiency will be very reduced and sub will be very slow in turns. You escape with no other damage and when you reload game next time, boom, you have perfectly good rudders with no damage at all.Not good...

Other solution, one rudder 50HP, other 25HP...Direct hit will immediately destroy rudder with 25HP . You manage to escape without other hits and when you next time save and reload game you will have sub with just one perfectly good rudder. This way you will have consequences from rudder hit even after reload... See my point now?
Old 09-14-13, 05:04 PM   #72
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes and Yes...It's something about camera controller. Periscopes are set to destrutable=No and only movement up and down is unavailable ,although you can still look through them and move view but they are pinned to down possition, ext.obj. controller is disabled , i think. When set UZO to destrutable=No nothing happens. I will check some other possibilities also... So far i think that only way to make UZO unusable is to disable his camera contr. Works just fine if you don't hit click spot where UZO were...
It makes sense: not being directly attached to its respective 3d model, but to a dummy bone in a second file, the UZO cam controller can't be damaged/destroyed. Try this then:

- open Uboot_Sensors.GR2 in Goblin Editor;
- merge Uboot_Sensors.zon;
- merge cameras.GR2 (path: data\Library);
- select the 3d UZO(s) and enable the Damage Editor;
- in the "Object linked to" section, select _Dummy_Cam_UZO;
- save the zon file.

In this way, the dummy UZO bone (owner of the camera controller), should be destroyed when the 3d UZO is destroyed. Alternatively, you could assign a damage controller (with sphere and box) directly to the dummy UZO, but I doubt it would work.

Quote:
For now there are two possibilities ... Let's say you have two rudders with 50 HP...One direct hit will leave both of them with ~20HP and their efficiency will be very reduced and sub will be very slow in turns. You escape with no other damage and when you reload game next time, boom, you have perfectly good rudders with no damage at all.Not good...

Other solution, one rudder 50HP, other 25HP...Direct hit will immediately destroy rudder with 25HP . You manage to escape without other hits and when you next time save and reload game you will have sub with just one perfectly good rudder. This way you will have consequences from rudder hit even after reload... See my point now?
In other words, you want to balance an oddity by introducing another oddity.

In your example the trick you are suggesting seems to work, but in practice there would be many eveniences of it not preventing damaged equipment from being magically fixed after a game reload. Yet, we would always have to live with one propeller, dive plane, etc. whose HPs are set too high/too low.
Old 09-14-13, 05:26 PM   #73
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
In other words, you want to balance an oddity by introducing another oddity.
Something like that... There is a third possibility also ...To disable game save...

Just kidding...Seriously, the main problem is individual compartment's HP which also cant be saved until HP0, but maybe we shouldn't talk about this, so that people couldn't hear and exploit this "feature"...
Old 09-14-13, 06:00 PM   #74
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Something like that... There is a third possibility also ...To disable game save...

Just kidding...Seriously, the main problem is individual compartment's HP which also cant be saved until HP0
I hope you don't want to split compartments as well, and give each half a different level of HP

Quote:
but maybe we shouldn't talk about this, so that people couldn't hear and exploit this "feature"...

sometimes censorship is the best remedy!

P.S: let me know if you decide to test the setting I have suggested about the UZO.
Old 09-15-13, 07:53 AM   #75
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
It makes sense: not being directly attached to its respective 3d model, but to a dummy bone in a second file, the UZO cam controller can't be damaged/destroyed. Try this then:

- open Uboot_Sensors.GR2 in Goblin Editor;
- merge Uboot_Sensors.zon;
- merge cameras.GR2 (path: data\Library);
- select the 3d UZO(s) and enable the Damage Editor;
- in the "Object linked to" section, select _Dummy_Cam_UZO;
- save the zon file.

In this way, the dummy UZO bone (owner of the camera controller), should be destroyed when the 3d UZO is destroyed. Alternatively, you could assign a damage controller (with sphere and box) directly to the dummy UZO, but I doubt it would work.
I tried this and looks like it's the same in both cases(with dummy bone or 3d object)...Actually, CTD will happen only after game is saved-reloaded, before that, if you click on UZO, camera will go crazy and it's difficult to return to captain view, sometimes movements are disabled also. If entire object is removed(base + binoculars) teleport function is disabled...So far best combination is to avoid clicking on uzo after it's been destroyed (removed, nice visual indication of damage). Also, there is a good way of returning to normal views if you click on UZO after all, you need to go to save-load meny ,save game and return to game without reloading...interesting

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-15-13 at 08:06 AM.