SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-21, 03:01 PM   #1
RipTorn
Swabbie

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0
Default tramp steamers sink on their own

I spotted a tramp steamer about 9800 meters from me. The weather was rough. wind was 17 meters. By the time I got there the ship was sinking. I figured maybe it was hit by another sub. 3 hours later same weather, another tramp steamer sunk before I arrived. Very weird. I am running the tonnage mod so not sure if that is causing it.

Rip Torn
RipTorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 03:51 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: ships sinking on own & bad weather..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTorn View Post
I spotted a tramp steamer about 9800 meters from me. The weather was rough. wind was 17 meters. By the time I got there the ship was sinking. I figured maybe it was hit by another sub. 3 hours later same weather, another tramp steamer sunk before I arrived. Very weird. I am running the tonnage mod so not sure if that is causing it.

Rip Torn
Think I recall some mention of the ship data being set to mimic their riding in the water correctly.. & that bad weather can cause instances of ships sinking due to bad weather.

Which, as memory serves Me... did sometimes occur. More notably, as I recall, if they were seriously packed to the gills, with much needed resources or supplies, if you will.

In this day & age, you still hear of ships sinking, due to improper load of cargo.. among other reasons...

M. M.

Old 02-07-21, 04:20 PM   #3
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Wind doesn't go above 15 m/s in SH3; how did you get 17 ? Also, small ships sinking in bad weather has been a problem in SH3 since it was released. Part of the reason the weather in the game shouldn't be made worse (15 m/s isn't terrible weather in the North Atlantic in reality). The weather affects/damages them the same as a shell, torpedo, etc. hit hence the fires seen.

Last edited by John Pancoast; 02-07-21 at 04:30 PM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 11:18 PM   #4
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

RipTorn,

As John said, this has been a problem for some ship types (even large ships) since the release of the game. You may also notice that the game may not give you credit for sinking these ships with a torpedo because the game believes the ship is already sinking!

If I'm not mistaken, most of the super mods have taken care of this problem by altering the .sim files for various ships to correct for this tendency to founder in rough weather.

If you aren't using a super mod or if you are still experiencing this problem, you might want to consider using my StZSinkingShips mod. My mod changes the center of gravity of the Tramp Steamer and a few other ships so they don't founder as easily in rough weather.

Note: my mod will alter the .sim files of several ships in addition to the Tramp Steamer, so it may affect the behavior of ships in the super mods or merchant fleet mods, so be careful if you do decide to use it with those mods. In the alternative, I can send you a version that only affects the Tramp Steamer and so will be less likely to interfere with the other mods.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote