SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-20-20, 12:31 PM   #1
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Hello, I'm new here...

Hello captains of the fourth class of SH.

I am completely new here and probably the most inexperienced and by far the oldest captain.
I have had weeks of reading and studying how to install SH4 on a Windows 10 computer ...
Sometimes, after reading a lot of reviews at Steam, I didn't like it, sometimes I thought I should succeed!
In the beginning, after installation, the program would not even start at all! After a while, it succeeded but in the wrong dimensions. But now it is beautiful 100,000 different colors, 1920 x 1080 and all meters are neatly round!

And now learn how not to touch the ground and hopefully sometimes drill a ship into the ground.

Easy
Old 07-20-20, 01:29 PM   #2
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Congratulations on your command and welcome, Kaleun!
I have been playing SH4 off and on for more many years always enjoy the challenges it presents at various levels.

Good hunting!!
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-20, 02:09 PM   #3
Captain Hammer
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Top o' the mornin' to ya!!

I'm also new here, although back in the day I posted on the Ubisoft SH4 forums a lot. I used to play SH4 relentlessly to jog my imagination for a novel about WWII submariners and their boats. Now that the inspiration has been renewed, so has my effort, and so has my desire to play SH4 to death.

However, I've been having the same issues with trying to get it to run via Steam on Windows 10. Would you mind sharing how you got it to work?
Captain Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-20, 02:59 PM   #4
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

OK, my experience with installing SH IV on Windows 10!

1) Download SH IV from Steam;
2) It will be installed for you;
3) C: \> ProgramFiles86> Steam> Steamapps> Common> SH4> data> cfg> maincfg: [Video] = 1920, 1080, 60, 20: save;
4) C: \> ProgramFiles86> Steam> Steamapps> Common> SH4> data> ul: UgradeLauncher.exe (To install patch 1.4);
5) C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific: right click on sh4.exe> ​​properties: Windows xp pack3; optimization etc for screen: tick; program by admin: tick.

You should work very carefull and slowly. It should work now.
At a startup screen I see now that the program at the bottom right shows that it is still version 1.3! Why, I don't understand!
Maybe someone can say something about it?

If someone here is reading this: Can anyone tell me if I can install the extension uboat mission (and thus patch 1.5) now? (So ​​even though v1.3 is indicated in the bottom right!)

Please tell me how it goes...

easy

P.S. Some authors advise NOT to install SH IV in Program Files (86). I still have to study on that ....

Last edited by easy; 07-21-20 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 04:17 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Welcome Aboard
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 04:52 PM   #6
Captain Hammer
Swabbie

Thank you, easy, will give that a shot! (Looking at my control panel, it seems like it may have just downloaded into the wrong folder....)
Old 07-23-20, 10:25 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Captain Hammer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 11:40 PM   #8
Macgregor the Hammer
Chief

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 1

Welcome Skipper!

I've been playing for about 7 months now and I'm really addicted. Once you get past the frustrations of the learning curve, it really becomes a lot of fun.

So far I've.....
=been rammed by a merchant
=crushed my sub by taking it too deep
=killed a bunch of my crew through excessive co2
=grounding myself on a reef
=had my conning tower shot off by a destroyer
=hit a pier

It's all part of the learning curve.....

If you have a question and can't find the answer in a search....ASK!

--MacGregor
Old 07-24-20, 03:11 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: SH4 & Steam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post

3) C: \> ProgramFiles86> Steam> Steamapps> Common> SH4> data> cfg> maincfg: [Video] = 1920, 1080, 60, 20: save;
4) C: \> ProgramFiles86> Steam> Steamapps> Common> SH4> data> ul: UgradeLauncher.exe (To install patch 1.4);
5) C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Silent Hunters Wolves of the Pacific: right click on sh4.exe> ​​properties: Windows xp pack3; optimization etc for screen: tick; program by admin: tick.

At a startup screen I see now that the program at the bottom right shows that it is still version 1.3! Why, I don't understand!

If someone here is reading this: Can anyone tell me if I can install the extension uboat mission (and thus patch 1.5) now? (So ​​even though v1.3 is indicated in the bottom right!)

easy

P.S. Some authors advise NOT to install SH IV in Program Files (86). I still have to study on that ....
With acquiring SH4 through Steam, check your library, as I recall... the 1.5 aka Uboat Missions, should be there, ready to download & install... I bought from Steam a bit back, a 3 in 1 package deal... comprising SH3, SH4 & SH5.

If I am NOT mistaken, you bought SH4 through them, it should be available to d/l & install as I mentioned... it was there for Me. Should see two (2) SH4 listings... Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific & Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific: Uboat Missions.

M. M.

p.s.

Welcome aboard Kaleun...

Old 07-24-20, 02:58 PM   #10
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@ Mad Mardigan:

Yes Thank you, I have installed The U-boat missions!

And now I have to start learning the way as you could read by Macgregor the Hammer somewhere in this treath...

Thank you and see you!

easy
Old 07-25-20, 06:14 PM   #11
Captain Hammer
Swabbie

Ok, so, when I hit the "UgradeLauncher", it gave me the dialogue "Missing version targets."

Also, sh4.exe didn't download. Searched my entire hard drive for it and it didn't show up anywhere.

What specifically am I supposed to do with that "MainCfg" file, if anything....? Is that what's causing the hang-up?
Old 07-26-20, 03:22 PM   #12
easy
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

OK Captain Hammer,

Meanwhile, I've learnt a lot and will try to help you.

First, indeed, don't try to update via "UgradeLauncher". I've had the same problem.
Second : Do you a have STEAM version of SH4? If so, delete everything according SH4 on Program File or Programm file(86) and also your complete game save hoopla. Be very secure about that.

Go to you Librabry from STEAM on your computer, search for your SH4 and install again but now for example on c:\games\.
Go to sh4.exe, right click on it, choose the very last item "we call it "eigenschappen", so you now that", and choose now the second tab, something with comptability. OK? Make it compitable with Window XP SP3, tick optimzation for full screen disabling and tick for Administrator.

Updating to 1.5 (not to 1.4) we discuss later.

easy

Enough now for today
Old 07-26-20, 11:07 PM   #13
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Grab a wire brush, the head is rusty.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-20, 10:44 AM   #14
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy View Post

easy

Welkom aan boord, Kapitein!

I had similar tribulations with reinstalls for SH4 in my past sea duty. If you're around long enough to ‘burn’ through a few computers and their OS in your gaming career, you'll come to learn of the idiosyncrasies of how this game interacts with other game launching platforms (i.e., UPLAY) not to mention its reaction to the various updates of Windows generated by MS.

Fortunately, with all the help offered from the congenial skippers in this forum, I have been able to sort out many of these issues. If I’m really stumped, my choice of last resort is the remote IT assistance offered through my ISP.

Recently, my game stopped launching and it never occurred to me to check and see if the compatibility settings were in synch with the launch platform (UPLAY) and the game on my computer. I also had a recent Windows 10 update which raised my suspicions. After a little detective work and the suggestions from propbeanie, I got my boat back in the water.

I also have SH3, which is not on UPLAY but was loaded via the original game disc that was also affected by the recent Windows 10 update but I’m not entirely sure why. I recall that I may have had both games in the same general subfolder in my game drive (I) which could have corrupted them in fell swoop, however, other games on my computer remained unaffected.

The beauty of digital downloads besides being extremely fast (depending on the game and site) is that if you ever need to uninstall and reinstall your games, you never have to worry about having the original discs but it helps immensely if you put your game activation keys or order numbers in a SAFE place so you can prove you had a legitimate copy of the game. It happened to me after a computer upgrade when I could no longer download SH4-Wolves of the Pacific-Uboat add-on after the installation of the stock game using my original game discs. When I was ready to install the Uboat add-on, I discovered the download was no longer available from the site that previously supported it. I contacted Ubisoft, gave them my game activation key for the Uboat add-on, then they sent me the SH4- Gold Edition download (which included the UBoat add-on), and I was back in business.

Geniet van je spel en blijf veilig.

Navelintel
Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 04:41 PM   #15
Captain Hammer
Swabbie

sh4.exe still doesn't download. Without that, I reckon I'm dead in the water. :/

Guess for now I'll have to content myself with UBOAT and hope the Deep Water Studio skippers are working on a Pacific version of it.

(Not that I have anything against U-boats, but I play the game for writing inspiration and it sure looks like DWS is onto something that can fill that void.)