Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-21-10, 01:16 PM   #31
Diopos
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
Also, WHO calls out "ship sighted" when the periscope is raised? How the hell could they see through it????
Easy one... They own the servers!

Part of the new game "experience" ... "On Offer additional eyes in back of head for 5.0 € only!!!"

Actually the "ghost" observer is already present on SH4.

Diopos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 01:55 PM   #32
Rykaird
Weps

Downloads: 36

The manual TDC video is extremely disappointing. In fact, I would argue it was misnamed, since I never saw the TDC. I saw a menu system hiding in a dialog box.

My favorite aspect of the game is twiddling those TDC dials as I lock in a manual solution.

I don't want to work with menu systems, I want to interact with the actual interface to the sub - the mechanical switches, knobs, and dials. In SHIII for example I would always manually ping the depth under keel, raise and lower the periscope with the periscope switch, etc. That interaction with the equipment on the sub was a huge part of the immersion factor for me.

Oh well. I know they have to design for the mass market, I was just hoping they would carry both interface options in the game. I know everyone is up in arms about DRM, but honestly, this is the deal breaker for me.
Rykaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 03:31 PM   #33
COWBOY10
Gunner

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykaird View Post
The manual TDC video is extremely disappointing. In fact, I would argue it was misnamed, since I never saw the TDC. I saw a menu system hiding in a dialog box.

My favorite aspect of the game is twiddling those TDC dials as I lock in a manual solution.

I don't want to work with menu systems, I want to interact with the actual interface to the sub - the mechanical switches, knobs, and dials. In SHIII for example I would always manually ping the depth under keel, raise and lower the periscope with the periscope switch, etc. That interaction with the equipment on the sub was a huge part of the immersion factor for me.

Oh well. I know they have to design for the mass market, I was just hoping they would carry both interface options in the game. I know everyone is up in arms about DRM, but honestly, this is the deal breaker for me.
I know what you mean mate, However I think with this one they have made a different type of sim than the ones we know and love, at first I was hoping for a upgraded version of SH3, a Submarine simulator, where we can do everything ourselves, Problem with that though, no matter how enjoyable it was, I dont think it was truly accurate. I may be wrong.

I certainly dont profess to knowing alot about uboat ops, and I know the knowledge some of you have would blow me away, But a uboat crew was a team, each person had there own job and no one person did everything, SO I dont think a Cap, would be on the scope and plotting and setting the Tdc, Im guessing he calls out and someone else sets it. Thats what I think they are going for here.

When I think of this as another submarine sim, I do get fed up, they have missed out this and that and yes it does seem like they have dummed it down, However When I think of this as a Sub Captain sim it all makes sense. He wouldnt be setting the tdc, He would be calling out orders to his crew, and unless we have full voice coms, the best way to do that at the mo is with menus. I dont think this will be better or worse than Sh3, It's just different thats all. If you want a sub sim, then I think the best choice may be to stick with Sh3 and all the great mods, IF however you want a captain sim, Then go with Sh5, All depends on how you look at it.

either way, we will all have a great time, im sure.
COWBOY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 04:00 PM   #34
Lord Justice
Previously 4Para

Downloads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by COWBOY10 View Post

When I think of this as another submarine sim, I do get fed up, they have missed out this and that and yes it does seem like they have dummed it down, However When I think of this as a Sub Captain sim it all makes sense. He wouldnt be setting the tdc, He would be calling out orders to his crew, and unless we have full voice coms, the best way to do that at the mo is with menus. I dont think this will be better or worse than Sh3, It's just different thats all. If you want a sub sim, then I think the best choice may be to stick with Sh3 and all the great mods, IF however you want a captain sim, Then go with Sh5, All depends on how you look at it.
Sir Cowboy, i cannot yet tell, therefor i see not of entering into reasonings and justifications, i have only to repeat what i said some time past, having once obtained the sim and completed at least 3 missions, whensoever oppertunity shall recomend it, or circumstances require it i will post my lot, then indeed i may have cause to be convinced. Iam glad you are looking foward to it as i, and hope no more try to extinguish our hopes. Good Day
Old 02-22-10, 09:51 AM   #35
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Next video will cover an area that several (many) have asked about but so far as I know, no one has illustrated.

Silent Hunter V - Upcoming preview of feature that has not been covered here so far

Old 02-22-10, 10:16 AM   #36
martes86
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 18

Signed up via PM!
martes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:36 AM   #37
Kretschmer the IV
Navy Dude

Downloads: 72

me 2
Kretschmer the IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:38 AM   #38
Soviet_Warlord
XO

Downloads: 68

^ me three
Old 02-22-10, 10:50 AM   #39
The Enigma
Seer of visions

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Next video will cover an area that several (many) have asked about but so far as I know, no one has illustrated.

Silent Hunter V - Upcoming preview of feature that has not been covered here so far

I'll pass on this one.
I don't trust on line social networks.
I'll wait until the link is revealed here.

Meanwhile, enjoy the vid to all who do have a twttr account.

The Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 10:50 AM   #40
Lord Justice
Previously 4Para

Downloads: 51

I stand in readiness at four. but using a slow dongle until wed, so i too, shall wish to wait it out, i must stand down. thank you though.
Old 02-22-10, 10:51 AM   #41
Kretschmer the IV
Navy Dude

Downloads: 72

Darn i have no twitter account.. what? twitter, do i need twitter to see the video?
Kretschmer the IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 11:04 AM   #42
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enigma View Post
I'll pass on this one.
I don't trust on line social networks.
I'll wait until the link is revealed here.

Meanwhile, enjoy the vid to all who do have a twttr account.

facebook, twitter, and so on is not (and won't be) installed on my system. so it's waiting for me, too.
Old 02-22-10, 11:08 AM   #43
Sanuck
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Im not signing up for twitter
sounds like your going the drm way (my 1st mention of it)

Think again Onkel Neal

Cheers
Sanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 01:11 PM   #44
sav112
Gunner

Downloads: 0

I’ll look on to see when it comes out what you all think. I’ll wait on the Vid as well, not signing up to twitter or anything suck like,, thanks all the same.
Old 02-22-10, 02:08 PM   #45
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

No Twitter, no Facebook, ...I don´t exist!!!
I´ll wait for the vid. Thanks in advance, Neal!