SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-08, 08:24 AM   #46
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

It's used for fishing for bits and bytes:rotfl:. It's kind of like the DirectX runtime routines, but for programming languages. You can tell which version you have by looking in your add or remove programs dialog in the Microsoft area. You'll see something like Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 (the number at the end could range from 1.0 to 3.5, and there may be more than one entry). I don't really think that it's a .NET problem, but who knows (especially when dealing with Vista).

Let me know which versions you have installed and we'll go from there. GIEP was created with .NET 2.0 and FIJH was created with .NET 3.5 installed, so I'm guessing that if you have .NET 2.0 installed, then the problem isn't related to .NET. If this is a fairly recent install of Vista (i.e. installed after .NET 3.0 came out) you may not have 2.0 installed. It's possible to have all versions installed at the same time (I have 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5). Some applications (Shoot voice control, for example) require older versions of .NET to function correctly.

I don't remember any problems with backwards compatibility from 2.0 forward, but I'll have to check on that, too. Which version of Vista are you running? I'll show my ignorance of Vista here and ask if it's a 32 bit or 64 bit version.

Also, if anyone else out there is using GIEP and Vista and happen to see this, please let me know which versions of .NET and Vista you have for troubleshooting purposes. Thanks.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 12:16 PM   #47
Doolittle81
Commodore

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

Here's what I show:

I have VISTA Home Premium 32 bit

I have now installed the FIJH into my 1.5 American version (C:\MyGames\Silent Hunter\ ). Added the Kaleun'sFrauleins Folder (with300X384 TGA files/pics) and the Executable FIJH into the root Silent Hunter. FIJH doesn't work there, either.

Last edited by Doolittle81; 08-17-08 at 12:30 PM.
Doolittle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 12:31 PM   #48
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Well, I learned something new today. .NET 3.0 is included in Vista. I'm still looking into whether you would need .NET 2.0 (if there is such a thing in Vista) for the correct operation of GIEP and FIJH.

Totally up to you if you want to try this or not, but there is a .NET 3.5 update which may or may not help. It's at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

I honestly don't know if updating to 3.5 would do you any good or not. I'll keep looking to see if 2.0 needs to be installed.

GIEP worked correctly before you tried to run FIJH, right? I'm trying to get a handle on what has changed in regards to GIEP that would cause it to work at one time and not at another.

Edit : Well, now I'm really confused. One site says 3.0 is included in Vista, another says it's a elective install portion of Vista, so I have no way of knowing whether you really have it or not, unless you try to install it and get told that it's already there.

Last edited by Digital_Trucker; 08-17-08 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-17-08, 01:03 PM   #49
Doolittle81
Commodore

Cease and desist. I've solved the problem!!! I'll explain in a minute...
Old 08-17-08, 01:12 PM   #50
Doolittle81
Commodore

Here's what happened. In your ZIP file, you named the MOD Folder "FrauleinInJedemHafen" instead of ""FrauleinImJedemHafen"

I renamed the Folder(s) and FIJH is now working.

Whew!

Disregard my report of a problem with GIEP. I cannot duplicate that problem and now GIEP is working in whichever SH4 installation I put it.

Everything is now copasetic!!!
Old 08-17-08, 01:15 PM   #51
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Cool, although I'm totally confused why that would make any difference:rotfl:. Does GIEP work in your other install, also?

Old 08-17-08, 01:19 PM   #52
Doolittle81
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
... Does GIEP work in your other install, also?
yes. See my edited post above.
Old 08-17-08, 01:22 PM   #53
Doolittle81
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Cool, although I'm totally confused why that would make any difference
It is possible that there was another unkknown factor in Play which magically corrected itself. VISTA does do some odd things now and then... (though I have had no Major problems with VISTA....and too many people are quick to Blame VISTA for Every little problem they experience....imho)

Manwhile I now have my pics of Marlene Dietrich on my Kaleun desk. Thanks Much!!
Old 08-17-08, 01:34 PM   #54
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

You're welcome, Doolittle. Glad it's working for you now And yes, our fear of the new and different does cause us to point fingers at Vista for all the wonderful things that computers manage to do for no apparent reason.

My inital concern regarding Vista was that, since the applications were developed on an XP system and I have read about some differences in the code generated on one OS vs the other, I wondered if what was working on my machine might not be working on Vista machines.

Ah, well, who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Microsoft operating systems. Why, not even the Shadow knows the answer to that one:rotfl:.

Just in case, I renamed the folder, rezipped, reuploaded and repointed the link to the new zip. You never know with stuff like this. I once spent 3 days debugging a 2,000 line COBOL program, only to find that one period was missing at the end of a sentence.

Old 08-17-08, 01:38 PM   #55
Doolittle81
Commodore

Out of curosity, where is the Desk photo *.dds/*.tga file located??
Old 08-17-08, 02:25 PM   #56
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

The file is .......\Data\Textures\TNormal\tex\CaptainRoom_Pict ure.dds

When you activate FIJH, it removes this file from the game (backing it up, of course) so that you can use .tga files instead. I believe that if this file were to stay in the game it would take precedence over any .tga file with the same name.

Old 09-28-08, 01:08 PM   #57
Doolittle81
Commodore

Here are some Sized/formatted German pics, mostly Marlene Dietrich but also other German actresses of the 1930's and 1940's time period, which I use with FIJH Application:
http://files.filefront.com/KaluensFr.../fileinfo.html
Old 12-11-08, 10:29 PM   #58
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default I need some serious help and advice.

I tried installing GIEP several months ago. I failed and gave up. I just tried again. I am deleting everything so I can start over with a new set of instructions. I download GIEP into mods. I download Captains Girl #1 and Captains Girls #21 into my mods folder. I actived GIEP via JSGME. I extracted Captains girls photos and thumbnails into a Captains Girl Folder in mods and copied it to the main SH4 folder where the Data file is located. Nothing works. I tried different things and they did not work either. I do not know what a hot key is and how to set it up, so that advice in one the posts is useless to me. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial on what to do. THIS IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING AND I AM READY TO KICK MY DOG AS I AM LOSING IT!

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 12-11-08 at 10:35 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 03:59 AM   #59
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Help required

I need step by step instructions because I just wasted two hours on this mod and it does not work. Start me at the beginning and assume nothing, please. I will delete what I have downloaded and try it again after I get instructions. I printed the readme and followed it, so I am doing something wrong.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 10:36 AM   #60
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down
I tried installing GIEP several months ago. I failed and gave up. I just tried again. I am deleting everything so I can start over with a new set of instructions. I download GIEP into mods. I download Captains Girl #1 and Captains Girls #21 into my mods folder. I actived GIEP via JSGME. I extracted Captains girls photos and thumbnails into a Captains Girl Folder in mods and copied it to the main SH4 folder where the Data file is located. Nothing works. I tried different things and they did not work either. I do not know what a hot key is and how to set it up, so that advice in one the posts is useless to me. Can someone give me a step by step tutorial on what to do. THIS IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING AND I AM READY TO KICK MY DOG AS I AM LOSING IT!
First of all, don't download the mod into your mods folder. Download it somewhere else and extract it. Then follow the directions in the readme (important parts highlighted)

Installation instructions :

Once you have decompressed the archive, you will find a folder named GirlInEveryPort. Either place that folder in your MODS folder (preferred method) and use JSGME to activate itor place it's contents into your BlahBlahBlah folder (what's a BlahBlahBlah folder, you ask? It's the folder that you installed SH4 into. THe one that contains the Data folder).

Once you have done that, you will find a folder in your game install folder named Captain'sGirls. This is where you put your correctly sized .tga format desk pictures. As always, please keep backups of your pictures in case some little gremlin gets in and messes the ones in the Captain'sGirls folder up or you decide to uninstall SH4 and delete the install folder forgetting that all your pics are in there.

You can put the pictures in loose (not in folders) or you can organize them into folders (and even subfolders if you're that organized). The program doesn't care where they are as long as they are somewhere in the Captain'sGirls folder and they are .tga files.

After you've placed all your pics in the folder, you have a decision to make. Do you want any of the pictures to be used more than once before the others are used? This program uses a purely random (at least as random as Visual Basic can be) algorithm to determine which picture to use next. This could result in the same picture being on your desk more than once. The program is set up to avoid this by renaming the pictures as it uses them until it has used them all and then resetting the names and starting over again with a random choice. If you DON'T want the program to do this, you must run it with a command line argument of Y (or y). If you don't know how to do this, I'll explain it in a second.

OK, you've got the program installed and you have your pictures in place and you've decided how you want the program to operate. What do you do now? First, find the GirlInEveryPort.exe file in your game install file and create a shorcut to it on your desktop (or where ever you keep your shortcuts). Then right click on that shortcut and select properties. If you decided to allow repeats, then this is where you put in your command line argument. You will see a text box labeled "Target". In the box will be the path to the program. This path will be either enclosed in quotes (") or not. Either way, go to the end of the path and and a space and the letter Y (or y). That takes care of the repeats. If you don't want to allow repeats, don't add anything. Now click on the text box next to the heading "Shortcut key". WHen you do, the system will start "listening" for you to enter the key/key combination that you want to use for a "hotkey" for this shortcut.
Press the key combination you want to use now (I used control-alt-R). You should see your key combination in the text box now. Lastly, click the arrow next to the drop down box labelled "Run" and select minimized. Once that is all done press apply and then OK.