Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-14-21, 11:22 AM   #1
SirJohn
Watch

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0
Default RA difficulty

Hi there.
I am having problems with the difficulty level in RA. I am trying the HK campaign and literally died myself through the first mission. Although the ROE say “attack only for Defense purposes” the only way to get through the mission is to blast yourself through anything that is getting too close to you.
The first and second mission are time sensitive so you need to follow a straight course through the patrols. And their sonar will detect you even when you stick under the layer and travel with. 3 knots.
The second mission is even harder…I counted 4 frigates, two subs, a helicopter and an airplane patrolling over the area and you have two hours to get to the pick up point. I went straight to PD and shot at everything that moved, sinking three frigates and two subs, after I cheated (show truth).
But then I barely made it to the rendezvous…because to pick up the seals I have to go to PD…and there the helicopter and the last remaining vessel ate me alive. I would love to stay hidden and play the game without cheating but there are too many enemies. Is this campaign too hard for a beginner?
Thx
SirJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 12:05 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

I don't know that the ports of the 688(I) H/K and Sub Command campaigns to RA were tuned to be balanced at all. Even if they were balanced (or some balancing was attempted/done), yeah they're insane and not my cup of tea. At present, I have to recommend you play those campaigns in the original games. (I'm surprised Sonalysts didn't port them to Dangerous Waters). I'm unfortunately not aware of any other releases of the campaigns from those games ported to Dangerous Waters (doesn't mean they're not out there).

For campaigns designed for Dangerous Waters, I can recommend Red Storm Rising for stock and Liu Doctrine for LwAmi.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-21, 04:00 PM   #3
SirJohn
Watch

Thanks once again for your answer. I guess it was a bit too much blind trust and optimism on my side regarding the mod

Even the quick missions are too difficult for my taste. So I will try LWAMI or just the vanilla game (although I would like to control a Virginia class sub).

In the end It doesn’t have to be a campaign…a few good single missions are fine too. Any recommendations? I saw you have a playlist of videos playing a few of them. Something nice and easy (and working) would be awesome.
Thx in advance!
Old 07-14-21, 06:52 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

There are still missions and campaigns (plus other goodies) available at http://subguru.com/ .

Subguru is from the pre-RA days, you'll still want to check if the missions and campaigns were built for the stock game or LWAMI, but there isn't a huge difference.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-21, 01:51 AM   #5
SirJohn
Watch

Thank you for the advice.
I am going to check that out and probably start with the vanilla game and the Red Storm Rising campaign. Like mentioned before the main reason why I downloaded the mods was to play a Virginia class and to experience some decent stealth and hide and seek missions. RA is like ->_Virginia Class: yes. Stealth: yes, but with time pressure very very difficult.
Cold Waters is great, but a bit too much “instant action” style and a little less “simulation” for my taste, so my hopes were high to find this in Dangerous Waters…and maybe in Modern Naval Warfare

Last edited by SirJohn; 07-15-21 at 03:26 AM.
Old 07-18-21, 08:36 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Dangerous Waters Quick mission drops you in a close quarter battle at spawn. There is very little preparation and depending on your speed at start you might have already be detected. So it isn't really a fair start. But it is quick to the action for sure.

I can definitely suggest the missions in subguru.com, and LWAMI. Oneday I get to finish his Scicilian Wedding mission, I promise. (it's BIG!)
Old 07-25-21, 06:55 PM   #7
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Cold Waters is great, but a bit too much “instant action” style and a little less “simulation” for my taste, so my hopes were high to find this in Dangerous Waters…and maybe in Modern Naval Warfare
This is pretty much in the nutshell.

That recent DOT Mod, even though it is a great accomplishment in modding, made IMHO CW possibly more trigger happy.

Before it was like 2 opponents with the loaded guns in the darkroom waiting for the light to go on to start shooting. Now in this DOT mod on the surface, the lights are on and both opponents are with the machine guns. No element of stalking or hunt, just a full-blown brawl.

It is not a critique, but just an observation I seek to confirm or refute.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 01:03 AM   #8
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post

I can definitely suggest the missions in subguru.com, and LWAMI. Oneday I get to finish his Scicilian Wedding mission, I promise. (it's BIG!)

Sicilian Wedding has (or at least it had) some bugs in it, especially in the middle and towards the end of the mission.

Check with Chazly, he did a play-through of SW and I think he fixed most of the bugs.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote