SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-11-20, 03:33 AM   #1
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0
Default Starting A Campaign Before Dec 7, 1942 Question.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a Mod besides RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career that let's you start your career/campaign before Dec 07, 1942 I already have and used RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career which I like, even though it only starts a week before Dec 07 on Dec 01, 1942.

Is there one out there that starts like a month or 6 weeks before Dec 07?

That would be enough time to get at least a full patrol in doing recon and/or getting photos of ships in harbors, or maybe dropping off one of those O.S.S. guys on an island at night. You could also be tasked with reporting on and/or following Jap war ship movements. Then with radio messages from base the tension could be ratcheted up with news of Jap ship movements and also with news that attempts at diplomacy are not going anywhere.

I think that started out as a question, and then turned into a specific request for a MOD for someone to make. If anyone knows of ANY besides RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career that starts before Peal Harbor being bombed let me know, I would very much appreciate it.

If there isn't I might possibly consider maybe thinking about contemplating making that Mod myself.... maybe

Maybe maybe
-StealthRabbit
Old 08-11-20, 02:01 PM   #2
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

I didn't have the mod start more than a week before Pearl Harbor because I thought it would be too much time just sailing around doing nothing.

Changing the start date isn't too hard, but the missions would all need to be edited too for you to have anything to do.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 04:26 PM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO 07/12/1942..????

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows of a Mod besides RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career that let's you start your career/campaign before Dec 07, 1942 I already have and used RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career which I like, even though it only starts a week before Dec 07 on Dec 01, 1942.

Is there one out there that starts like a month or 6 weeks before Dec 07?

That would be enough time to get at least a full patrol in doing recon and/or getting photos of ships in harbors, or maybe dropping off one of those O.S.S. guys on an island at night. You could also be tasked with reporting on and/or following Jap war ship movements. Then with radio messages from base the tension could be ratcheted up with news of Jap ship movements and also with news that attempts at diplomacy are not going anywhere.

I think that started out as a question, and then turned into a specific request for a MOD for someone to make. If anyone knows of ANY besides RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career that starts before Peal Harbor being bombed let me know, I would very much appreciate it.

If there isn't I might possibly consider maybe thinking about contemplating making that Mod myself.... maybe

Maybe maybe
-StealthRabbit
Is it just Me, or has any one else noticed that error... (highlighted in red, in the quoted original post) post WW2 started for the U.S. December 8th, 1941.. after IJN attacked Pearl Harbor... NOT December 7th, 1942....
Old 08-12-20, 05:41 PM   #4
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

I missed it.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 08:32 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Is it just Me, or has any one else noticed that error... (highlighted in red, in the quoted original post) post WW2 started for the U.S. December 8th, 1941.. after IJN attacked Pearl Harbor... NOT December 7th, 1942....
i think 1942 is a typo.

with some of the pseudo-English i've seen in many posts, that particular typo is the least of the mistakes to make fun of.

clearly stealth-rabbit wanted to start his career prior to 12/7/41 in order to be pre-positioned.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-20, 11:29 PM   #6
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
I didn't have the mod start more than a week before Pearl Harbor because I thought it would be too much time just sailing around doing nothing.

Changing the start date isn't too hard, but the missions would all need to be edited too for you to have anything to do.

I am finding more and more reasons to try and start making my own Mods, or at least slightly change (Modify a Mod?) a few Mods done by other Moders. If I did alter a Mod someone already made I know to ask their permission be for posting said Mod, If I where to post it. Those are 2 pretty big IFs though.

Your idea of starting before 12/07/1941 in my opinion is a great one. I guess I am one of those guys that like to make the simulation as real as possible, and also to try and immerse myself into the simulation as much as I can. I just really like the idea of starting early enough to get at least most of a patrol in, and all the while have the tension level build as I am sure it did for allot of the real sub and surface ship captains. I do realize that I am most likely part of a vanishingly small minority with wanting to start a campaign/carer that early though.

Pushing the start date to mid October and then adding several missions sounds like it would be for a Moder with mid level skill, and maybe not something to start out with to get my feet wet. I am in the middle of altering a Mod by TorpX called Auto_Targ that simulates human errors in plotting a firing solution. After I installed his Mod and did a few war patrols with it I found that his errors where a little too much for me so I am cutting them in about half so my aim is a bit better, but still not perfect every time. And as time goes on I am going to try and have our aim get better. I figure that even if half of the crew gets replaced by promotions and what have you our aim would still get better just because of institutional knowledge.

Using the Silent 3ditor to do this has so far been very tedious. I have found it difficult to keep track of exactly what part of the torpedo's parameters I am changing so I am going very slowly and constantly comparing my changes to both the TMO numbers and the Auto_Targ numbers. In case you don't know the name of the file I am altering is Data\Library\Torpedoes_US.sim.

I'll get there eventually.
-StealthRabbit
Old 08-13-20, 12:04 AM   #7
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Quote:

Does it make you feel better about yourself to point out the mistakes of others by highlighting them?

I am sure all of your posts are without error.

I did not realize we where being graded in here.

-StealthRabbit
Old 08-13-20, 04:12 AM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i think 1942 is a typo.

with some of the pseudo-English i've seen in many posts, that particular typo is the least of the mistakes to make fun of.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
clearly stealth-rabbit wanted to start his career prior to 12/7/41 in order to be pre-positioned.

For the record, it was NOT pointed out, to make fun of stealth-rabbit... in any shape, form or size...
Old 08-13-20, 04:23 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Does it make you feel better about yourself to point out the mistakes of others by highlighting them?

I am sure all of your posts are without error.

I did not realize we where being graded in here.

-StealthRabbit
1. It was not then, not now, or ever an attempt to make Myself, feel better about any thing, thanks...

2. I never said I have, not now or ever have, for that fact... thanks for hanging Me with that assumption...

3. What grade system is in place... not any that I am aware of...

I only mentioned it, (as well as highlighted it, as I noticed it so that it could be corrected... not to make fun of, belittle you or 'feel better about Myself, as you have just sat there & accused Me of.. I have not now or ever felt I was perfect.. nor have i stated it in any manner at all, that I am.

I, like every one of us, am NOT perfect... if we all were, then there would NOT be any reason for erasers to exist at the end of pencils...

M. M.