SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-23-19, 06:45 PM   #91
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

must be drinking from the fountain of youth or something to be named among the 'old masters'

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 03:52 AM   #92
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

Time Traveler

Last edited by Eisenwurst; 04-24-19 at 04:07 AM.
Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 04:15 AM   #93
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Wonderful posts, guys (and I saw what you did there, Little 'e' )
Yes they are, enjoyed them very much

(And also saw that.. Eich's art exhibited in the Art Gallery of New South Wales )

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 11:51 AM   #94
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default My Ideal Neighbourhood

One of my paintings in the style of Edouard Leon Cortes, roughly depicting the Rue Madeleine (6X8 inches acrylic on panel)... my ideal neighbourhood
Old 05-01-19, 08:24 PM   #95
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I'm just adding this a a bit of a supplement to my Hollywood post; there was an unusual convergence of ceremonies today when the Walk of Fame star ceremony for Lucy Liu was held on the same day the cast of The Big Bang Theory became the first TV actors to have their hand prints in cement added to the forecourt of the TCL (formerly Grauman's) Chinese Theater on Hollywood Blvd. I've seen several of both sorts of ceremonies over the decades and I don't recall the two events happening at the same time...

The Walk of Fame ceremony below is typical, with various persons speaking about the honoree(s) and then the unveiling of the star, itself; this ceremony is longer than a lot of the others since the recipient is a major star; if the honoree was, say, someone of lesser fame, the ceremony would be shorter. It used to be, when I first moved to Hollywood, there would be a banner hung over the street near the location of the star a couple of weeks early to announce the ceremony; now, it is rare when there is any broad announcement at all, except for a day or two previous...

Lucy Liu - Hollywood Walk of Fame Ceremony --

The Chinese Theater forecourt ceremony is pretty much as shown below, although group ceremonies are rare; even rarer, it is the first time the cast of a TV show has been so honored. Chinese Theater ceremonies are well publicized and are considered to be a far greater honor than a Walk of Fame star. This clip is from the only local, or network, TV station still headquartered in Hollywood; the sound cuts out after the cast speaks; I think this may either be due to the fact the stars weren't miked and the there really was no need to continue the ambient sound, or the audio was deleted because it was just the reporters at the station commenting...

Big Bang Theory' Stars Imprint Hands at Chinese Theatre --

While ceremonies of this type may be fascinating to those outside of Hollywood, once you've lived here for a couple or more decades and seen more than a few of them, the fascination wears off; its more like "Oh, great, they've blocked off the sidewalk, again. Now, I'll have to cross the street, walk to the end of the block, and cross back again to get to that store..."...

<O>
Old 05-02-19, 03:27 AM   #96
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Jaded!
Old 05-03-19, 03:06 PM   #97
vienna
Navy Seal

Ennui... Ennui... Ennui...

<O>
Old 05-03-19, 04:37 PM   #98
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Here is one of my favorite places near where I live.

Geologically significant, if you're into that sort of thing, but I've just always loved this valley in MO. I've never lived more than an hour and a half away from it. A lot of the money that supported the state of MO came from mining lead and granite in this area. Lot of history and lot of beautiful nature. Lots of fun roads to drive if you're into cars and lots of peace and quiet.

I'll stubbornly defend that Missouri is the best of the Midwestern states in the US for a lot of reasons, but the nature here is awesome.
Old 05-04-19, 02:13 AM   #99
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I loved the look at the waterfall at the end. Drone cameras are giving us views of our own neighbourhoods hitherto unseen, except by local microlight fliers and birds (maybe also the odd squirrel)... rather like a giant kneeling down to examine our small world below
Old 05-04-19, 02:29 PM   #100
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I loved the look at the waterfall at the end. Drone cameras are giving us views of our own neighbourhoods hitherto unseen, except by local microlight fliers and birds (maybe also the odd squirrel)... rather like a giant kneeling down to examine our small world below
Drone cameras give us some amazing capability. The waterfalls in the valley are fantastic. Especially after recent rains.

There's a lot of nature that's relatively untouched in the area just because of the sparse groundwater resources. Not a lot of population density out there, but lots of history.

With everything developing these days, it's nice to find some peace and quiet.
Old 05-04-19, 02:47 PM   #101
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

^ Wonderful place to be!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-19, 02:46 PM   #102
vienna
Navy Seal

One thing about Hollywood, there never seems to be an end to the stories yet to be discovered; there is an intersection near my home, Sunset Blvd & Gower St, known to people here in the neighborhood as "Gower Gulch"; it got its name from the early days of Hollywood when the roughly one mile stretch from Sunset Blvd along Gower St south to Melrose Ave was lined with movie studios both large and small. A goodly number of the studios specialized in low-budget cowboy/Western films and was the launching pad for the careers of actors like John Wayne who made a slew of "oaters" before he became "The Duke". Famed Old West hero and icon Wyatt Earp lived for a time in Hollywood and was a regular at Gower Gulch as he tried to turn his legend into a film career:

Wyatt Earp in Hollywood: The untold story of how Wyatt Earp got ripped off by outlaws in the last outlaw town --

https://truewestmagazine.com/wyatt-earp-in-hollywood/

I always knew, in general terms, about the cowboy connection to the intersection, but didn't know a whole lot of the particulars. A fair sized strip mall, constructed to emulate a Western movie set stands now at one of the intersections corners; the pharmacy where I get my prescriptions filled is located there; I also posted, in another long ago thread about how said pharmacy devised a method of shooing away transients and panhandlers by playing Barry Manilow songs 24/7 from external speakers (it worked like a charm, garnering national news attention, but the Manilow is no longer playing having been replaced by what sounds like John Williams compositions, which also seem to be working). While waiting for something to finish running on the computer, I decided to do a look up of the history of Gower Gulch:

Gower Gulch and the sort of beginning of Hollywood --

https://ericbrightwell.com/2012/10/2...-of-hollywood/

How a Cowboy Standoff Gave Hollywood’s Gower Gulch Its Name --

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/h...gulch-its-name

The Forgotten History of Gower Gulch, Hollywood’s Western Strip Mall --

https://atomicredhead.com/2019/05/01...rn-strip-mall/

There is a whole lot of such stories about various locales in and around Hollywood and they never seem to end. Hollywood can be an interesting place to live, but as gentrification starts to set in, a lot of the Old Hollywood is vanishing...

BTW, the reference to LA as an "outlaw town" is not without merit: until about the late 1920s. LA had a reputation for lawlessness; at one point at the turn of the 20th Century, LA was nicknamed "Devil's Town"; there is an old photo of a street sign in Downtown LA warning passersby of possible danger from gun play..

Quote:

Tombstone vs. Los Angeles

In 1924, legendary actress Lotta Crabtree died, leaving behind an estate of $1.2 million and no known heirs. During a 1926 deposition about one of the alleged heirs, Carlotta Crabtree, who lived in Tombstone, Arizona, Wyatt Earp testified. His answer to one of the questions says much about Los Angeles in the 1920s:

Lawyer: I would like to ask you to state your observation of those times and tell us what the condition of this community [Tombstone] was for law and order?

Wyatt Earp: It was not half as bad as Los Angeles.

<O>
Old 07-10-19, 05:18 PM   #103
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

This is the river that runs out back of my place in Maine last weekend.

Almost the same angle just a month ago

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.

Last edited by August; 07-10-19 at 05:27 PM.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-19, 12:39 PM   #104
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Beautiful
Old 07-14-19, 09:02 AM   #105
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Goddamn you, August!

That is very special indeed, nice one
Since your a Mainer, what do you make of this guys assessment? (not that he is picking on Maine, he has the same top 10 vid for every state)

Last edited by JU_88; 07-14-19 at 12:33 PM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote