Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 12-01-08, 06:46 PM   #91
Lieste
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Everyone sits around waiting for ages, for a software developer and publisher to do localisations - then it comes out, with none of the existing issues fixed, and with 'new improved errors'.... and the kicker is the solution is to patch back to the original version, which was available right at the start... <sigh>
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 08:37 PM   #92
melin71
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 21

anyway to reload the ammo within a mission? i seems to run out of ammo if the mission be long. specielt on a singel mission im played a couple of times, they shall take a bridge and im surposed to defend the beach head, Im driving back up to a hill and shoot at the enemy tanks from there, distanst between 800 m to 1300 m, and...hehe..im a rather poor shooter, and my comander dont say the distanst to me. seems not to see that im seeing.
Soundblaster X-FI Extream gaming
3 GB ram
Vista home premium
-------------------------------
melin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 10:19 PM   #93
Lieste
Soundman

Try estimating the range, setting it for the mg scale and firing short bursts till you have the corrected range.
Transfer this range to the main gun scale, and fire... if you are still missing by a long way then something isn't right
Lieste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 06:56 AM   #94
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by melin71
anyway to reload the ammo within a mission? i seems to run out of ammo if the mission be long. specielt on a singel mission im played a couple of times, they shall take a bridge and im surposed to defend the beach head, Im driving back up to a hill and shoot at the enemy tanks from there, distanst between 800 m to 1300 m, and...hehe..im a rather poor shooter, and my comander dont say the distanst to me. seems not to see that im seeing.
Get closer! even when you hit at 1300m, chnaces are the shot will not do much damage, if any at all. The projectiles were not as powerful as they are today. My grandpa was tanker in Russia, he never talked much about it, but as a young boy I asked him often. Once he said they had rarely fights over 1km especially when the logistic chains were strained and they had to be careful with their ammo. Even shots that hit were wasted often at that distance, since they did not do anything in too many cases, from a logistics point of view. I don't know what kind of tanks he was in, though. I assume it was different with the later Panthers and Tigers.

Save your ammo, get closer.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-02-08 at 06:58 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 08:39 PM   #95
Boats
Loader

Downloads: 74

Patched the game and have found the T key still throws the tracks. I thought it was suppose to rotate the periscope. The manuel isn't translating well. I also found that after I patched the game as commander I have less control over the tank than before the patch. The tank has a mind of its own regardless of way points or the F key thingy.

They should allow us to d/l the russian version and apply the western sound files to it. Like how you can get the non-english speaking ai nationalities to speak English in IL2.

I dunno, between BIA HH, COD 5 being more quakish than ever (modern red dot sighting systems on some of the guns as well as uber smg's, and the dogs. They must've placed cloning kennels on the maps.), T34vT, and now this I'm thinking I might just get underway in SH4 again and let the dust settle.
At least I can accomplish two tasks on the sub. Run a partrol and practise my mandolin.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 04:47 PM   #96
tigershuffle
Seaman

Hi, well they have managed to translate Steel Panzers mod in to English........ hows that for a nice little expansion

just visit here

http://www.lighthouse-interactive.co...hp?f=44&t=1821

pretty fast work dontcha think
tigershuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 06:02 PM   #97
Eugene
A-ganger

Downloads: 226

Thanks very much, Tigershuffle. Significant mprovements and additions. Interestingly, I can only enable and run it WITHOUT the unofficial patch 0.1 enabled. Works with Steel Sound 1.1 fix though.
Old 12-06-08, 11:30 PM   #98
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

A question for those of you who "get around"...

Which forum has the most activity regarding Steel Fury? I'm talking announcement of mods and support and stuff. I received my boxed version during the week and have been getting right into it, having installed the unofficial patch, sound mod and panzer mod combo (on that it's great to see JSGME being used with SF, however, users should go straight to my webpage and grab the latest version as v1.5 is quite old).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Some may have noted that I have mistaken the classification labels. the depicted Panzerkampfwagen IV of course are not the Tigers as which I called them - the Tiger was version VI, with the Panther being version V. My apologies for that mismatching of names. Since I did not go into system specifics at all, my fault thank God has had no further consequences.
:rotfl: Apart from demonstrating your lack of knowledge of the subject matter, a knowledge which is kinda, well, necessary in order to be seen as knowing about what you write. Anyone with even the most basic understanding of WWII tanks can tell the difference between a PzKpfw IV Ausf F2 and PzKpfw VI Ausf E. I mean, you would never label an M1A1 as a Bradley, would you? And if someone did in a critical review of SBP, would you take it, or them, seriously after that?

Sorry, but I would expect an "official" reviewer representing tanksim.com to know the differences between most well-known tank types.

So, with this in mind, why are you surprised by the criticism you are receiving? I doubt it's just because you are critical of the game. Don't get me wrong, you have made some observations with which I totally concur (I just read your review after spending the better part of the week playing the game and forming my own opinion), but when they're hidden behind basic research errors as well as distracting spelling errors, grammatical errors, and a suggestion that you can't understand why a $50 tank simulator for the masses doesn't equal a $125 tank simulator intended for contemporary military training, you really lose your credibility (for example, comments such as "Is SF really a tank simulation able to rival SBP in the simulation department?". I think you'll find that you may well be one of a very limited few that would even be pondering this odd comparison, as most people understand the different audience that each aims for).

Anyway, that's my opinion. FWIW Steel Fury looks like it will meet my definition of "simulation", even moreso if/when the modders get fully behind it (there's movement in this area already). I like to think of SF in Dec 2008 as SH3 in Mar 2005. Nothing overly spectacular by itself, but with the right mods it has the potential for a title that befits the bold statement on the case (and let's not forget, SH3 called itself "the most impressive, realistic and gripping naval simulator" when it was released, a very optimistic statement that really was not achieved until heavily modded). Anyone who plays SH3 with GWX, or one of the other super mods, will be quite thankful that they were not influenced by a misguided review like the one you're offering for SF.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 11:49 PM   #99
JScones
Navy Seal

Oh, another reason why I'd like to know the "best" SF forum to camp at is that after analysing the game files, I am thinking of developing a simple tool that gives you, your tank, your platoon, whatever, an identity. I guess bringing the "personal" aspects which are inherant in Panzer Elite to Steel Fury. Or, if you are familiar with it, something like what SH3Cmdr brings to SH3.

I'd also like the tool to be able to award medals and promotions based on mission performance, but I haven't sussed out where/how that info is stored (surely not just in the profile file?).

So for this to work, I'd need to converse with those that know best what they are talking about, but I'd prefer not to join more than one other forum.

Last edited by JScones; 12-06-08 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-07-08, 04:12 AM   #100
woofiedog
Engineer

Downloads: 9

JScones... Besides here at Subsims, there are a few sites that are actively covering Steel Fury and a few of the other tank sim games that are out. But here is a site that you might want to take a look at...

T34 v Tiger Game Forums: http://www.t34vtiger.com/forums/index.php

And a few others...

Lighthouse Interactive/Steel Fury General Discussion: http://www.lighthouse-interactive.co...forum.php?f=44

Tanksim.org.ru: http://translate.google.com/translat...ksim.org.ru%2f

And have to say that the JSGME works great with SF... Thank's for this handy tool.

Last edited by woofiedog; 12-07-08 at 04:18 AM.
woofiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 05:32 AM   #101
zvlad
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Oh, another reason why I'd like to know the "best" SF forum to camp at is that after analysing the game files, I am thinking of developing a simple tool that gives you, your tank, your platoon, whatever, an identity. I guess bringing the "personal" aspects which are inherant in Panzer Elite to Steel Fury. Or, if you are familiar with it, something like what SH3Cmdr brings to SH3.

I'd also like the tool to be able to award medals and promotions based on mission performance, but I haven't sussed out where/how that info is stored (surely not just in the profile file?).

So for this to work, I'd need to converse with those that know best what they are talking about, but I'd prefer not to join more than one other forum.
Now
The information on game of Steel Fury:
www.steelfury.info
http://tanksim.org.ru/
forum
http://tanksim.org.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=143d858914fcc4da62f75cceb54a 259a

With the best regards,
Vladimir Zayarniy
Developer Steel Fury

www.graviteam.com (coming soon: updating will be 20-25 december 2008)
http://graviteam.com/en/projects/STEEL%20FURY

Last edited by zvlad; 12-07-08 at 05:34 AM.
zvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 03:19 PM   #102
Lurchi
Planesman

Downloads: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
Very good anyway, I installed the Unofficial patch + Steel Soundmod + Steel Panzer mod right away and everything works fine as far as I can tell.
I agree with this! I installed the same Patches/Mods and now SF "feels" even better. Yeah, some Panzer Elite Style crew/tank/ammunition management would be great. I have to say that i really start to like Steel Fury and i think there should be a lot of modding potential - i would love to see a Jagdpanther or SU-100 one day.

Especially the After Battle Hit Analysis is pretty cool:

Russian Masterpiece T-34 took some 5cm PzGr 40 but remained victorious ...

... unlike this poor Pz. II and its crew
Lurchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 04:28 PM   #103
Lurchi
Planesman

Downloads: 34

Thanks,

luckily i only faced Panzer IIIs in that scenario. With all those hits i received i would have been dead long before if those were Pz IVs with a long 75mm. Dying is something i become really accustomed to in Steel Fury.

Biggest danger to me are Anti-tank guns as i am unable to spot them before they fire. I also have problems with shooting at longer distances but all in all i enjoy SF a lot as it gives the player a feeling of chaos during a battle.

Well, i am also very fond of tank-killers and the Jagdpanther is surely king along with the ultra-flat Jagdpanzer IV and the SU 100. Hetzer and StuG would be nice too but i honestly have no clue why you like the crappy JPz I
Lurchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 05:35 PM   #104
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofiedog
JScones... Besides here at Subsims, there are a few sites that are actively covering Steel Fury and a few of the other tank sim games that are out. But here is a site that you might want to take a look at...

T34 v Tiger Game Forums: http://www.t34vtiger.com/forums/index.php

And a few others...

Lighthouse Interactive/Steel Fury General Discussion: http://www.lighthouse-interactive.co...forum.php?f=44

Tanksim.org.ru: http://translate.google.com/translat...ksim.org.ru%2f
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvlad
Now
The information on game of Steel Fury:
www.steelfury.info
http://tanksim.org.ru/
forum
http://tanksim.org.ru/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=143d858914fcc4da62f75cceb54a 259a

With the best regards,
Vladimir Zayarniy
Developer Steel Fury

www.graviteam.com (coming soon: updating will be 20-25 december 2008)
http://graviteam.com/en/projects/STEEL%20FURY
Thanks for the links guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofiedog
And have to say that the JSGME works great with SF... Thank's for this handy tool.
Thanks. I'm hoping that it gets a workout with SF, if you know what I mean.

I'm running it lean though atm...

The last mod is my first for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhayl
I've read on forums that some guys are working on making the AI Pz II playable, but it seems the 3D models format is "closed" at least for now, so it may be a while before seeing brand new playable units + interiors made by users, unless the devs release the tools to unpack models.
Yeah, hopefully it doesn't take too long for someone to "crack" the .go structure.

I'm hanging for fully integrated and playable PzKpfw III (an Ausf G would see the player having a real challenge!) and StuG III...
Old 12-07-08, 06:25 PM   #105
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Tiger and StuG are my favourites. It would also be cool to drive one of the beasts, like the Elephant. (Or maybe not:rotfl