SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-05-20, 10:01 AM   #1
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0
Default Deck Gun Crew Hopeless.

I started a new mission on a fresh install with WDAD activated plus I'm playing as a sub.

First mission encountered a couple of merchants, sank one but only damaged the other so surfaced to finish it off with the deck gun.
I was fairly close so instructed the crew to fire short range, they didn't understand that and were firing way to far, I had to let the enemy get far away for them to even get close to hitting it but still the shells were landing ahead of the ship.
I ran out of shells and the crew only hit it about 3 times, so it sailed off, and I quit the mission.

Was this an ability issue seeing as it was a fresh start or is it the fire and close range order not working?

Col.

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 11:10 AM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I don't know if this mod is compatible with this WDAD thingie you're using but it doesn't really matter anyway as you can take Webster's Upgraded Deck Gun changes and put them into your mods Deck Gun.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=152883
Old 08-05-20, 11:55 AM   #3
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Thank You Moonlight, I'm not a realism guy, far from it lol.
I downloaded and I'll install now then give it a go.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 08-05-20, 12:16 PM   #4
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
I started a new mission on a fresh install with WDAD activated plus I'm playing as a sub.

First mission encountered a couple of merchants, sank one but only damaged the other so surfaced to finish it off with the deck gun.
I was fairly close so instructed the crew to fire short range, they didn't understand that and were firing way to far, I had to let the enemy get far away for them to even get close to hitting it but still the shells were landing ahead of the ship.
I ran out of shells and the crew only hit it about 3 times, so it sailed off, and I quit the mission.

Was this an ability issue seeing as it was a fresh start or is it the fire and close range order not working?

Col.
@Col777...I have fairly good luck with the deck gun.

First, I go to the crew management page. I select skills and pick the best gunners for the crew.

Second, I select the 'deck gun' on the 'command order task bar' and select 'aim for water line,' which tells the gun crew to aim their shots at the water line of the designated target.

Third, I track the target just as I would in manual targeting for a torpedo, inputting the range, AOB and speed. Checking the attack map <F6>, to see if aim is correct but, instead of firing a torpedo, this information tells the gunners where to aim the gun. I tried each of the different buttons, hull, deck guns, command deck, nothing work better than the water line setting.

Fourth, I turn the boat to 360° or 180° bearing, depending if the boat setup has a bow or aft deck gun, surface the boat, go to the bridge and select 'set as target for deck gun' after I lock on to the target. I continue to track the target, making adjustments. If the gunner starts to miss forward or behind the target, I adjust the AOB using the 'set target angle on bow' button and if rounds are landing short or father than the target, I adjust the range using the 'set target range & relative bearing' button.

Hope this helps! Good luck & Happy Hunting!
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8

Last edited by Larrywb57; 08-05-20 at 12:27 PM. Reason: edit the task bar
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 04:03 PM   #5
Moonlight
Admiral

Meh!, I haven't used the Deck Gun in this campaign yet and we're in January 1945, the last time I had to use one was when we had to try and fight our way home as the sub was too badly damaged to submerge.... it did not end well for us.

So you're not into realism then Col, how about gaming the game, otherwise known as manipulating the files on the fly.

Col you need that SHARPSHOOTER chap from the special abilities file on your boat and, as a fellow submariner I feel obliged to help you out with that. You just let me know and I'll tell you how to put him aboard your boat in your current campaign, Meh!, your next mission I meant to say.
Old 08-06-20, 01:09 AM   #6
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Thank you guys, I normally like to play as a ship as some of you know but seeing as this was a fresh clean install I thought I would play as a sub for a while.
I decided to use the U-Sub it only has forward torpedoes and not many of them lol.
So in the mission I soon used them up so had to revert to the gun, something I rarely do in a sub, been killed too many times but this was an unarmed merchant so I had a go.

As for realism, in other SH setups I've altered the armour level, used Silent Fire mod on subs and a couple of others, cheats I know but it is on my PC and not harming anybody else, I know a lot don't like cheats but that is up to them, like I say it is on my PC and not theirs.

Col.

Silent and Violent
Old 08-06-20, 11:07 AM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col7777 View Post
Thank you guys, I normally like to play as a ship as some of you know but seeing as this was a fresh clean install I thought I would play as a sub for a while.
I decided to use the U-Sub it only has forward torpedoes and not many of them lol.
So in the mission I soon used them up so had to revert to the gun, something I rarely do in a sub, been killed too many times but this was an unarmed merchant so I had a go.

As for realism, in other SH setups I've altered the armour level, used Silent Fire mod on subs and a couple of others, cheats I know but it is on my PC and not harming anybody else, I know a lot don't like cheats but that is up to them, like I say it is on my PC and not theirs.

Col.
from where did you get the Silent Fire mod?
it seems as if the subsim links are all dead.
i would like to peruse that mod, if it can be made available.
thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 04:27 PM   #8
Moonlight
Admiral

^Its on FilePlanet.

https://www.fileplanet.com/archive/p...nt-Fire-v1-5-1
Old 08-06-20, 05:04 PM   #9
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 05:37 PM   #10
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Also there is a Silent fire mod for SH5 and out of curiosity I tried in SH4 and it worked a treat.

Col.

Silent and Violent