SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-11-19, 11:25 AM   #12571
Nobon
Helmsman

Location: 1939-09-13. U-50 ran into a 10+ ship british convoy- I'm planning the approach
Downloads: 74
Uploads: 2
wolf_howl15 HMM!

Herr Kaleuns, thank you both of you.

Herr Vdr, that IS an answer, thank you. Then the main suspect is the traffic.

Also, as you mention it, I can only suspect that I used to tweak SHIII... for hardware optimization... I checked all cfg files I can find in SH5 game data, AND in SH5 in documents, but nothing engine related apart from the visual settings you can modify ingame.

Something IS fishy though, as I tried the following:

(reloaded my Kiel port save, as that is the 8 fps one- I just found a 10+ ship convoy yesterday, and my FPS is like 40 there.)

-tried running in win 7 compatibility.
-capped frames to 40 in inspector. Also tried max rendered frames set to 3, (more input lag, but more fps) for no effect.
-tried not just setting the shadows to nil, but setting every slider to zero, and switching off EVERY tickbox.

I gained 2 fps. 2. (10-11 now in Kiel in tc1) so it seems that my card can superbly handle even the max shadows --> as they make no difference. Do not take it wrong, I tried every change and seen ALL the differences in visuals, so they WERE applied alright, (getting more blank and sh*tty) just the fps gain was 1-2...

Why Im harping on this is simple:

-I have 8-9 fps in Kiel, but: my notoriously overheating CPU and GPU remains cool. So the game DOES NOT use the all resources it should. WHile in games when my fps drops below 30 is because the hardware can't handle more, hence heavy heating starts because of the heavy usage...

Also: -SH5 NEVER uses more than 2 gig of ram listed in the processes. Weird. In the middle of Kiel it is 1800 something mb.

Fitzcarraldo sir:

Thanks!
-Where can I find the 4 gig patch? Though it might makes things worse XD
As I read SH5 already uses what it can.

-What is LAA?

There is an antilag injection for SH5, reported broken in win10, (though I use win 8 pro) but I use inspector for max fps cap., and as for the other feature of this "antilag" : reducing input lag usually produces LESS FPS, though more responsive controls, so I wasn't thinking about that. FPS is everything. XD

About modding: I think I found my old explanation how I implemented the arrow key controls for the periscope, so I can make a 2.2.16 version.
There was a short time when it was considered for including as an option in TWOS 1.07.

On the other hand... Hell, applying the officer / crew appearance modifications in those lot of files again is going to be annoying XD

One question: as per current TWOS, where can I switch off the increased rendering distance Open Horizon mod, or what file needs to be modified?

edit:

Hell, it seems I forgot to activate my no loud footsteps etc. mod during hydrophone listening... It might as well still work.

Edit 2: nope, as I check the forum here it did -not- worked ever. So dropping no loud crew sounds during hydrophone idea now.

Good news: apart from I am going to make a 2.2.16 version (modifying the 2.2.16 commands file) of the arrow keys mod, for now I checked my activated mods:

2 of them only contains texture files-

and the weird stuff is: I compared the files from my custom crew mod (Crew_Idle_actions files) with notepad++ compare plugin-
and made my changes to the files from 2.2.16 core.
BUT: the only differences AT ALL was alot of beards activated in 2.2.16 (was already there, jsut someone removed the comment out symbols) and I added an extra hat in mine...
I deactivated the beards XD and added that line with the extra hat.

Bad news, as I suspected these 2.2.16 files are going to be different from the 1.05 stock ones MORE than just some activated beards.
As I suspected ealier that the officer dialogs stopped progressing because of this mod. (my other two mods as I mentioned only contain texture files)
So the only difference my currently activated own mods have compared to 2.2.16 (apart from some texture files) that some lines adding beards and hats were different in my mods files and in 2.2.16 files.

On the first patrol in the baltic mission in 2.2.16 I was able to progress in the personal conversations, more options opened up with each officers, while now they seems to be stuck on their first "personal" conversation lines.

Do you experienced something similar?
Any idea what can be the cause?

87% realism (100%-Cams to watch burning targets, and torpedoes run for fun..)
SH5 The Wolves of Steel Megamod- Realnav+Full manual targeting. -no contact updates, no map help.
U-50 forever - still a Smiling bastard

Last edited by Nobon; 10-11-19 at 12:34 PM.
Nobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 12:45 PM   #12572
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3208
Uploads: 0

Large Adress Aware:

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/

Similar to 4GB Patch.

Antilag by Kegetys doesn´t work in W10 (and I suspect neither in W8). But you can use as antilag the FPS fixer in Nvidia Inspector.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 10:12 AM   #12573
Nobon
Helmsman

Location: 1939-09-13. U-50 ran into a 10+ ship british convoy- I'm planning the approach
Downloads: 74
wolf_howl15 Hmhm

Thanks!

Meh, I patched the exe, but still not using more than 1800 mb of ram, and in Kiel it's still 8 fps.

I have a gut feeling that only turning off the "improved rendering distance" will help me.

I wish I know how XD as I cannot find Open Horizon in JSGM mods, OR in the Options Viewer Editor anymore

87% realism (100%-Cams to watch burning targets, and torpedoes run for fun..)
SH5 The Wolves of Steel Megamod- Realnav+Full manual targeting. -no contact updates, no map help.
U-50 forever - still a Smiling bastard
Nobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 11:13 AM   #12574
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobon View Post

I have a gut feeling that only turning off the "improved rendering distance" will help me.
That patch is disabled by default. 40 km is minimum rendering distance in SH5 and it can not be reduced, in stock or modded game.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-19, 12:34 PM   #12575
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116

If it is any consolation to you, you will not be spending much time in Kiel. Your homebase will quickly move to Wilhelmshaven, and then later on to france.
Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 03:27 PM   #12576
Tonci87
Captain

Downloads: 116

A new Video showing a surface attack at night

Tonci87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 04:03 PM   #12577
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Great video Tonci! I really love the way you play this game. Slightly boring but very realistic and exciting... Just as it should be!
Old 10-19-19, 05:04 AM   #12578
slipper
Navy Dude

Downloads: 385

Only recently looking at getting back into SH after playing SH3 some years ago. Regards this mod compilation, is it pretty much up to date regards included mods or are there others anyone would suggest adding?

thanks for any help

regards

slipper
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-19, 07:53 AM   #12579
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

its pretty much updated regular and only mod you really need most people mess up by throwing mods on top of others mods
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 10:47 AM   #12580
Skvid
Seaman

Downloads: 33

Hi.

OP's post mentions that
"TWoS v2.2.x should be gamesave compatible with v2.0.1"

However, under patchnotes of 2.2.9 i see that its not compatible with older versions.

I have updated twos to the latest version and my old savegame (from 2018 april) loads just fine, im not sure if i ran it on 2.2.9 or later builds or not. As i cannot find the release dates for those patches.

Can anyone tell me when 2.2.9 came out? I don't really want to restart my campaign and i ran in to no issues as of yet when playing my old save on 2.2.15.
Skvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 10:51 AM   #12581
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skvid View Post
Hi.

OP's post mentions that
"TWoS v2.2.x should be gamesave compatible with v2.0.1"

However, under patchnotes of 2.2.9 i see that its not compatible with older versions.

I have updated twos to the latest version and my old savegame (from 2018 april) loads just fine, im not sure if i ran it on 2.2.9 or later builds or not. As i cannot find the release dates for those patches.

Can anyone tell me when 2.2.9 came out? I don't really want to restart my campaign and i ran in to no issues as of yet when playing my old save on 2.2.15.
If I remember correctly, the problem will be seen if you open crew management page...
Old 10-22-19, 11:29 AM   #12582
slipper
Navy Dude

Downloads: 385

Im a bit late to the party, but here goes.

i have just tried to instal TWoS for the first time. I purchased SH5 Gold Edition from Uplay, installed it, verified it works and is patched to 1.2.0

i then installed the mod as per the instructions for the 2.2 readme contained in the mod. All appeared to load fine, however when i tried to launch the game for the first time with TWoS, using the SH5 shortcut on my desktop i get the SH5 gold edition load screen with the loading icon in the bottom left. However this loading screen has been running for about 1 hour now and still the game has not launched. ANy ideas please?

regards

slipper
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 11:58 AM   #12583
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper View Post

i have just tried to instal TWoS for the first time. I purchased SH5 Gold Edition from Uplay, installed it, verified it works and is patched to 1.2.0

i then installed the mod as per the instructions for the 2.2 readme contained in the mod. All appeared to load fine, however when i tried to launch the game for the first time with TWoS, using the SH5 shortcut on my desktop i get the SH5 gold edition load screen with the loading icon in the bottom left. However this loading screen has been running for about 1 hour now and still the game has not launched. ANy ideas please?

regards

slipper
Any warning messages about not recognized sh5.exe during the step 2 of install instructions?
Old 10-22-19, 11:59 AM   #12584
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Quote:

regards

slipper

Questions:
1. Where did you install the game, ie: which folder is it in?
2. Is the game launcher installed in the same folder?

The UPlay download installer defaults to using
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft \"
and then sub-folders off of that for the launcher and the game...

P.S. - Vecko is ~fast~... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 12:33 PM   #12585
Niccerman
Swabbie

Downloads: 35

Quote:

regards

slipper
Hello slipper,
the problems that you are experiencing with the game is most likely due to the recent 'silent patch' that was released for Silent Hunter 5, which seemingly has made TWoS or the Generic Patcher incompatible with the game. And it seems to have impacted most of, if not all Uplay users. I am not sure about Steam users. The disc version seems to run fine for some reason. I do not believe that there is a fix to this issue at the moment, and I can't tell you if there will be a fix - at least any time soon. :/

The problems that most people have run into are crahsing to desktop when loading a savegame or new campaign, Uplay asking for an activation code upon starting the game through the created shortcut or the game not being able to start at all due to being stuck in the loading screen (the problem that you described).
Did you notice if the Generic Patcher only showed 8 patches instead of 9 as descirbed in the instructions? If that is the case (only 8 patches showing) I can pretty much assure you that it is the same problem.

There is a recent thread about the issue that I would suggest that you check out, just in case a solution comes up soon.

Hope you find this helpful!

Last edited by Niccerman; 10-22-19 at 02:57 PM.
Niccerman is offline   Reply With Quote