SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-04-19, 04:28 PM   #1
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8
Default Oh wow, this is really really bad

What am I missing?

This is just a tedious, not fun at all, mess of a game right now.

They seem to have either gotten rid of, or simply replaced with countdown timers, anything from a tactical and attack perspective.

Tell me I'm wrong and just totally missing a screen or something please. I'd really like this to be THE new sub game... but it's just a huge disappointment thus far.
Old 05-04-19, 05:07 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Countdown timer?

The game is more crew management, than anything.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 05:09 PM   #3
junkets
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

If you're playing it like you've been playing SH5 tWos then you're gonna have a bad time. Plenty new things to get used to, though also plenty things you should be familiar with.

A lot of the manual stuff is hidden. Some things to improve your situation are not automated, those you also have to find.

Without specifics its hard to give advice. Maybe check the tips thread?
junkets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 07:26 PM   #4
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkets View Post
If you're playing it like you've been playing SH5 tWos then you're gonna have a bad time. Plenty new things to get used to, though also plenty things you should be familiar with.

A lot of the manual stuff is hidden. Some things to improve your situation are not automated, those you also have to find.

Without specifics its hard to give advice. Maybe check the tips thread?
My point of reference is mostly SH3 with GWX mod, and/or SH4 with the Wolves of the Pacific addition.
Old 05-04-19, 07:39 PM   #5
VolvicCH
Bosun

I think it is a bit premature to compare a game in early access to a game that had a mod come out over a year after it was released. Just saying.

As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor
VolvicCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 08:21 PM   #6
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvicCH View Post
I think it is a bit premature to compare a game in early access to a game that had a mod come out over a year after it was released. Just saying.
Perhaps... I'll give it some time. On the other hand, they've been workin on it for what? 4 years now? ...and still in pre-alpha???

Unmodded SH3 had a very smooth interface and easy external camera controls right off the bat.

Last edited by XLjedi; 05-04-19 at 08:34 PM.
XLjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 09:46 PM   #7
VolvicCH
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblood View Post
Perhaps... I'll give it some time. On the other hand, they've been workin on it for what? 4 years now? ...and still in pre-alpha???

Unmodded SH3 had a very smooth interface and easy external camera controls right off the bat.

I think this is down to budgetary constraints. SH 3 was developed and published by Ubisoft, whereas "Uboat" is the first release of Deep Water Studios and was funded by a Kickstarter campaign. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with what they came up with.

As we sail thru life, don't avoid rough waters, sail on because calm waters won't make a skillful sailor
VolvicCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 01:38 AM   #8
bmaxa
Swabbie

Downloads: 28

Quote:
What am I missing?

They seem to have either gotten rid of, or simply replaced with countdown timers, anything from a tactical and attack perspective.

Tell me I'm wrong and just totally missing a screen or something please. I'd really like this to be THE new sub game... but it's just a huge disappointment thus far.

I am having fun even I didn't sailed out of port yet ;p
This game does have different aspect to crew management,
Scuba dive and carrying water to control room to pump out
bmaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 03:19 AM   #9
W_clear
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 111

In fact. SH5 mode game has been tired of playing, I feel very happy with the new mode.
W_clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 03:55 AM   #10
Justaguyinnc
Seaman

Downloads: 47

I once had an old pair of brown shoes.. man, I loved those shoes.. everyday I could just slip into them and be on my way comfortably.. I didn't think I would ever give them up.. then one day I walked past this store window and a new brown pair of shoes caught my eye. Really not to different than the old, but there was something about them with a twist of the new with a breath of fresh air.. I purchased them. Man, years later I love these new old brown shoes.. I can slip right into them and be on my way comfortably.. I still have the older brown shoes.. I keep them around to remember the feeling and to look how they aged over the years.. but I am happy I purchased the new brown shoes and grew into them...

Justaguyinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 06:33 AM   #11
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaguyinnc View Post
I once had an old pair of brown shoes..
It seems these new shoes I bought are both for the left foot. I can break em in a little, but... I'll hold out hope that within a month or two they provide something new for my right foot. Really painful to walk in them right now.

Old 05-05-19, 10:52 AM   #12
Jonesy
Sailor man

Downloads: 27

Quote:
What am I missing?

I haven´t played it, but this is the impression I am getting from watching gameplay videos on youtube.
it's like they took all the features of Silent Hunter I don´t like and want turned off (all the boring crew management things) and made a game out of just that......good luck to the developers but this doesn´t look like it's for me.
Old 05-05-19, 11:33 AM   #13
Hjalfnar
Torpedoman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I haven´t played it, but this is the impression I am getting from watching gameplay videos on youtube.
it's like they took all the features of Silent Hunter I don´t like and want turned off (all the boring crew management things) and made a game out of just that......good luck to the developers but this doesn´t look like it's for me.
For me it's exactly the other way round, they gave me everything I always missed with SH: A crew to command and manage! Finally I am not a submarine, but a submarine COMMANDER. Great stuff.
Hjalfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 01:31 PM   #14
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

All i,m going to say is that game is (that based on feedback so far,) its abit like Marmite (you can google that if you want) People either love it or hate it.
To those that simply hate it, i'd suggest either refunding it if you are short of cash or otherwise shelving it for another 6 months and waiting to see what develops. Its still in early access and Imo, deserves a chance.
Honestly though i will point out thet alot of the people who slate it on steam have often had little more than an hour clocked of play time. This game clearly doesn't fly well with those who lave limited patience.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-19, 02:30 PM   #15
hulldmg
Swabbie

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hjalfnar View Post
For me it's exactly the other way round, they gave me everything I always missed with SH: A crew to command and manage! Finally I am not a submarine, but a submarine COMMANDER. Great stuff.

Interesting polar opposite opinion.

While I'd fall into more of the camp of: "SH3 crew managment was bit tedious and boring" and I still haven't played Uboat!
I would like to know, is the crew managment part of Uboat enjoyable process and not an annoying one? and is there an alternative way to play the game if that gameplay loop is not for me exactly?

Thank you!

Last edited by hulldmg; 05-05-19 at 02:41 PM.
hulldmg is offline   Reply With Quote