Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-05, 09:38 PM   #1
Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
Commander

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Just A Pic

the latest from the Blitz development... finally, some water i can go with... and decent sub hull textures...

--Mike
Old 10-28-05, 11:30 AM   #2
EAST
Sparky

Really looking nice Mike.
Old 10-28-05, 11:59 AM   #3
Sulikate
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 32

Nice envroinment, good job

Old 10-29-05, 11:35 AM   #4
Engineer

Downloads: 2

Great things you're doing here, but your models and textures could use some more work.
Why don't you look after for a team?

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
Old 10-29-05, 01:30 PM   #5
Sulikate
Grey Wolf

I like the textures, but if a team is to be created I wanna be in

Old 10-29-05, 04:20 PM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Sweet pic Mike
Old 10-29-05, 05:22 PM   #7
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulikate
I like the textures, but if a team is to be created I wanna be in
Why would you like to join a development team, do you have a perticulair reason for that?

Old 10-29-05, 07:54 PM   #8
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Joining a dev team for a project like this is not an easy undertaking. I speak from experience here (points to sig). It takes lots of commitment and dedication; so don't make an offer you're not willing to commit too. For the month of September (at that time we were hoping for a Sep 30 release date but that’s been pushed back due to school commitments with some of the team) every free moment was dedicated to making 3D models and writing for the Storyline of EV: Firefly, and it nearly burned me out.

Old 10-30-05, 08:24 AM   #9
Sulikate
Grey Wolf

I'm sure it isn't easy to be part of such a complex project. I imagine you are having a lot of work. good luck

Old 10-30-05, 09:09 AM   #10
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
Joining a dev team for a project like this is not an easy undertaking. I speak from experience here (points to sig). It takes lots of commitment and dedication; so don't make an offer you're not willing to commit too. For the month of September (at that time we were hoping for a Sep 30 release date but that’s been pushed back due to school commitments with some of the team) every free moment was dedicated to making 3D models and writing for the Storyline of EV: Firefly, and it nearly burned me out.
Exatly, TLAM.
most of my free time i spend working on the project and playing games
too much a game fanatic.
Well i put often so much time in the development that i refuse to see my pals, oh well if you did know them then you would say i'm doing the right thing lol.

So Tlam, how is your project?

Old 10-30-05, 11:08 AM   #11
Commander

most of the people i've had the opportunity to work with aren't really as driven as i am, and when it becomes a job, when things start getting tough development wise or scheduling wise... they're gonna find reasons why they have to feed the cat, or get their nails done, or some other real life thing, that i have little patience or tolerance for...

that's just the way i am... unless i found someone who is as driven as i am on this, it would be best for them to work on a project with someone else...

TLAM's got it right... his viewpoint on the subject is based from experience... and i agree wholehearthedly...

as far as the textures and other stuff needing additional detail... you are correct... the ones you are seeing would need additional work.

--Mike
Old 10-30-05, 11:32 AM   #12
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 'Red Ocktober' Hense
most of the people i've had the opportunity to work with aren't really as driven as i am, and when it becomes a job, when things start getting tough development wise or scheduling wise... they're gonna find reasons why they have to feed the cat, or get their nails done, or some other real life thing, that i have little patience or tolerance for...

that's just the way i am... unless i found someone who is as driven as i am on this, it would be best for them to work on a project with someone else...

TLAM's got it right... his viewpoint on the subject is based from experience... and i agree wholehearthedly...

as far as the textures and other stuff needing additional detail... you are correct... the ones you are seeing would need additional work.

--Mike
You might have not know allready, but two years ago a guy had send you a email, where he stated that he had some skills in 3dsmax and he was wanting to help you with the art stuff.
Well that guy had waited for three months for his reply which said that you was not looking for help.

Well that guys was just me.

Well i think you overestimate most people by saying that they are not so driven as you, there are many who are, but all you have to do is be open to find them.

Old 10-30-05, 01:28 PM   #13
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019
So Tlam, how is your project?
Well my project(s) are going quite good. EV Firefly is nearly ready for a preview verson, we just need to finish some writing for the storyline and test the final version. My VS projects haven’t been abandoned the BMP-1 is half mapped, the Zulu has gotten some more mesh work, and the Tone got new AA guns last week.

Old 10-30-05, 02:38 PM   #14
Commander

2019... i think what you mean to say is that you think that i underestimate most people when i say that they are not as driven as i am... (i understand there is a language difference here )...

... my conclusion is based on experience... i've found, that while being open sounds good... a lot of the time it results in unnecessary complications, experience has shown that being extremely selective about whom you associate with is the key to avoiding a lot of these unnecessary complications...

most people think they want to make games... just like a lot of things... i met a guy who was sure he wanted to be a pilot... he kept bugging me, so i took him up... the reality of being in a light plane was entirely different from what his imagination had led him to believe... and this invloved no effort or work on that persons part...

do you have any idea how many letters i get from people ready, willing, and able to work with me on this... or people who want me to work with them on a project... i'm talking about salaried as well as indie stuff...

could you imagine what things would be like for me if i accepted offers from even half of em...

i'm sorry bud... but i'm really kinda picky who i associate with... to be honest, if i see you as someone i would go into combat with, then i'd see you as someone i could work with as a partner... otherwise...

i remember your letter (i think)... and, i've seen your stuff... it looks really good...

have you tried putting a few of your sub models into a game engine, adding a lil ocean scenery, and seeing how well it works... i mean, i know you are centered on the artisitic part of this, so i'm just asking on the assumption that you might've dabbled in some coding...

i'm sure you realize that making a first class model, and texturing it so that it can stand next to other good looking works, is just a small part of what it takes to make a 3d game... much less a game that attempts to simulate a real world set of circumstances...

ask some of the other guys who are attempting such projects...

the 3 months you waited for me to reply were, i hope, not wasted just waiting for me to reply... and i can only apologize for not responding sooner... but hey, i'm doing the best i can... unless i have some letter of introduction, or have dealt with you prior, or know you from this forum, then an obscure letter may very well get put on the todo pile...

one more important thing you've gotta understand... i do this primarily for me... it is my obsession that drives me... i'm on my own schedule, no one elses... and i have my own agenda to satisfy...

now that may not be what you would like to hear... but that's the reality of the situation... i appreciate your critique and comments, and take from them as much as you generously offer... but advice on what i'm doing, or how i should do it, i must reserve that for people whose judgement i know i can depend on...

i hope you understand...

TLAM... good luck on your project... lemme know when you are ready to preview it

--Mike
Old 10-31-05, 04:26 AM   #15
Engineer

Quote:
2019... i think what you mean to say is that you think that i underestimate most people when i say that they are not as driven as i am... (i understand there is a language difference here Grin )...
yip that's what i mean.

Quote:
do you have any idea how many letters i get from people ready, willing, and able to work with me on this... or people who want me to work with them on a project... i'm talking about salaried as well as indie stuff...

could you imagine what things would be like for me if i accepted offers from even half of em...
Well i'm sure that at least one person would be a very solid member to your team.

Quote:
i'm sorry bud... but i'm really kinda picky who i associate with... to be honest, if i see you as someone i would go into combat with, then i'd see you as someone i could work with as a partner... otherwise...
How do you know that the person is right?
Have you any long lasting conversations with?

Quote:
have you tried putting a few of your sub models into a game engine, adding a lil ocean scenery, and seeing how well it works... i mean, i know you are centered on the artisitic part of this, so i'm just asking on the assumption that you might've dabbled in some coding...
I'm a artist and i don't really have to know about programing.
All i need to know is how to model and texture for a real time application.

Quote:
i'm sure you realize that making a first class model, and texturing it so that it can stand next to other good looking works, is just a small part of what it takes to make a 3d game... much less a game that attempts to simulate a real world set of circumstances...
Well in today games graphics pay a huge role, most often it desides it;s succes, sh3 for example.
But i get your point

But i see in your project it lays much diffrent you go for solid game play environment.

Quote:
ask some of the other guys who are attempting such projects...
I allready know

Quote:
the 3 months you waited for me to reply were, i hope, not wasted just waiting for me to reply... and i can only apologize for not responding sooner... but hey, i'm doing the best i can... unless i have some letter of introduction, or have dealt with you prior, or know you from this forum, then an obscure letter may very well get put on the todo pile...
any way don't think i'm upset about this letter, i just wanted to letyou know.

Quote:
now that may not be what you would like to hear... but that's the reality of the situation... i appreciate your critique and comments, and take from them as much as you generously offer... but advice on what i'm doing, or how i should do it, i must reserve that for people whose judgement i know i can depend on...

i hope you understand...
Well this seems kinda selfish and arrogant, oh well it's your project and i hope you do the best thing.

Closed Thread