SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-14-20, 03:34 AM   #1
robthebank
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Realistic Crew Numbers

Is there any way to increase the number of crew to reflect the numbers needed to realistically operate the boat and have them stand at stations?

I've gone through and modified the xls files to have a larger number of officers, which kinda works to make the boat feel alive. I've added 16 officers- combined with the assigned crew of 18 this brings it to a complement of 34 (still under the 45 generally required).

Something that I've noticed however is that if I increase the officer complement to 16 then the non-com crew seem to not take their stations. An example would be assigning an engineer with two assistants to take control of the dive planes. The officer will take his position standing at the controls but his assistants will not take their seats, instead staying in the crew compartment. I've played around with assigning roles using the crew management tab but the crew seem to just stay in the crew compartments.

I love the game, and feel that the only major thing missing is the crowded feeling of being on a boat with a full crew.
robthebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 04:31 AM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 10

The Devs stated that the reasons for the lower crew number is to keep things working smoothly, when they tried adding a more realistic ammount it created problems with human traffic jams and crew getting stuck and it hurt performance considerably.
Maybe its possible to increase it a bit, but its been said that adding the realistic amount will simply break the game.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-20, 05:22 AM   #3
robthebank
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

That makes sense. Such a pity because its one of the few things that I feel give the impression of a real sub. I dont mind lower performance, but pathfinding and traffic jams arent enjoyable!
robthebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-20, 05:58 PM   #4
kkyarrick
Watch

Downloads: 16

This has been my problem with the game, I'd like to see a bit more realism especially around hydrophones/radio and torpedo rooms
kkyarrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 03:35 AM   #5
Elasticjoe
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

As a real life submariner I find this super annoying. Granted it's not a modern boat but there would be at least 2 crew members for every station working port and starboard. They also sleep too much. 4-6 hours on deployment is normal and that's not at war.
Elasticjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 10:34 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

All true, welcome aboard!
Old 07-02-20, 10:41 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Elasticjoe!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 06:30 AM   #8
Engineer

Downloads: 2

The Command Center is most of the time so empty by me. This was the opposite of SH3. But still, it doesn't take away the fun. Originally the boats have been designed for half the crew that was on board during the war. So one way or other to some extend it is realistic.

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
2019 is offline   Reply With Quote