SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-24-22, 01:59 PM   #1
Oubaas
Frogman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
radar Unity of Command II

I just picked this up the other day with all the DLC, worked through the excellent tutorials, and started a campaign (Operation Torch). So far I've made it to Tunis following the initial amphibious landing.

It's quite fun, and fairly addictive. I've been playing it in between my usual naval gaming and reading, and I like it.

If you've wanted to get into the hex strategy games, but don't want a steep learning curve, (the WWI title, "To End All Wars" from Ageod, which requires at least a Master's Degree in Strategy Gaming comes to mind), you might like this one.

I also picked up, "Warplan Pacific". I quite like that one too, but it might not be the best choice for your first strategy game. Rather get used to the genre before you tackle it.

So, does anybody have any other strategy game recommendations?

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-22, 02:29 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I liked Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, the design of it, but the game suffered from some questionable weapon values that distorted the resolving of combsat, imho. For example, the hit probability for the early Abrams , first version, was calculated quite low.

I also like the Combat Mission series, despite its often criticised weak points. There are three titles, about Syria, Ukraine, and the cold war in Germany turning hot.

Steal Beast Pro could be played from map exclusively, turning it into a well-functioning cosim that way. Close to the result of doing so is Armored Brigade, quite good a game, but suffering from inadequate infantry fighting, imo.

The Operational art of War IV. Needs some thorough learning, however, but very versatile.

And as I reported a few weeks ago, the digital versions of the old cosims 5th Fleet, and Flight Commander 2 filled my heart with joy.

But then there is the king of strategy games. Chess. Nothing beats this.