SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-21, 08:15 AM   #1
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Default FotRSU ST Radar Questions

OK folks - the game does not like changing the Observation periscope, but we do have a way around the issue, sort-of... but first some questions about this:
Option 1: Keep it as-is. I like it when the Observation Periscope fails on 1st Jan 1945

Option 2: Make a cloned conn "upgrade" that might add the new ST Periscope, and then allow an add-on ST Radar that displays on the NavMap only (you do have to 'qualify' for a new conn).

Option 3: Make a cloned conn "upgrade" for the boat (as in #2) and the ST Periscope, and then an UpgradePack for the ST that will eliminate the SJ antenna, but allows PPI and NavMap display (better for MapContacts "Off" people).

Option 4: Disable the ST across all boats except the Tench
As it stands in the current, and all previous versions of FotRSU, if you do a new start after 01 January, 1945, you will have ST Radar, but will lose the SJ antenna displaying on the boat, which looks weird to me, but you do have a functional SJ and ST radar that displays on the PPI and NavMap (if Map Contacts are "On"). However, if you are on patrol 31 December, 1944 to 01 January, 1945, with an existing boat that is eligible for ST Radar, the game's attempt to "Upgrade" your Observation (Night) Periscope to the ST Radar version, it will fail, and then the Observation Periscope ceases to function. Now, we could "pretend" that the motor failed on it, or a lift cable broke, or whatever, but there is no indication of a failure, other than you cannot go to the station. In some cases, the periscope will be unusable for the remainder of that career.

The first "fix" we came up with, making the ST Radar an "Add-on" instead of an upgrade, allows the SJ radar to remain on the boat, but you do have a somewhat functioning ST Radar when you raise the Observation Periscope - if we could get the ST Periscope to install - but the "display" for any radar blip indications are only on the NavMap, and will NOT display on the PPI station. This makes it basically unusable for those with NavMap contacts turned "Off"... the "key" to this functioning though, is getting the Observation Periscope to change to the ST Radar Periscope - which it will NOT DO, even in an "UpgradePack". Alternatively, we could make the ST Radar an upgrade, and then you will see the display on the PPI screen. However, since the game will only allow one and only one Surface Radar Antenna, the ST antenna will "kill" the SJ antenna, which will no longer display on the conn. How important is that to folks?

A "tested" version with a conning tower change does indeed allow a change of the Periscope shaft and head, which then allows a proper application of either an ST "add-on" (no PPI, but does display on the NavMap) or as an "upgrade" (displays on the PPI, but eliminates the SJ antenna).

So, how important is it to the users to "see" that SJ antenna, or how important is it to have it display on the NavMap only, or how important is the ST to you anyway? It did not make it to very many boats prior to the end of the war... Thanks

Well, apparently, a person cannot edit a "Poll" after a post goes "live" (5 minutes) oh well...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-12-21 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Poll failure
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 09:22 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
OK folks - the game does not like changing the Observation periscope, but we do have a way around the issue, sort-of... but first some questions about this:
Option 1: Keep it as-is. I like it when the Observation Periscope fails on 1st Jan 1945

Option 2: Make a cloned conn "upgrade" that might add the new ST Periscope, and then allow an add-on ST Radar that displays on the NavMap only (you do have to 'qualify' for a new conn).

Option 3: Make a cloned conn "upgrade" for the boat (as in #2) and the ST Periscope, and then an UpgradePack for the ST that will eliminate the SJ antenna, but allows PPI and NavMap display (better for MapContacts "Off" people).

Option 4: Disable the ST across all boats except the Tench
As it stands in the current, and all previous versions of FotRSU, if you do a new start after 01 January, 1945, you will have ST Radar, but will lose the SJ antenna displaying on the boat, which looks weird to me, but you do have a functional SJ and ST radar that displays on the PPI and NavMap (if Map Contacts are "On"). However, if you are on patrol 31 December, 1944 to 01 January, 1945, with an existing boat that is eligible for ST Radar, the game's attempt to "Upgrade" your Observation (Night) Periscope to the ST Radar version, it will fail, and then the Observation Periscope ceases to function. Now, we could "pretend" that the motor failed on it, or a lift cable broke, or whatever, but there is no indication of a failure, other than you cannot go to the station. In some cases, the periscope will be unusable for the remainder of that career.

The first "fix" we came up with, making the ST Radar an "Add-on" instead of an upgrade, allows the SJ radar to remain on the boat, but you do have a somewhat functioning ST Radar when you raise the Observation Periscope - if we could get the ST Periscope to install - but the "display" for any radar blip indications are only on the NavMap, and will NOT display on the PPI station. This makes it basically unusable for those with NavMap contacts turned "Off"... the "key" to this functioning though, is getting the Observation Periscope to change to the ST Radar Periscope - which it will NOT DO, even in an "UpgradePack". Alternatively, we could make the ST Radar an upgrade, and then you will see the display on the PPI screen. However, since the game will only allow one and only one Surface Radar Antenna, the ST antenna will "kill" the SJ antenna, which will no longer display on the conn. How important is that to folks?

A "tested" version with a conning tower change does indeed allow a change of the Periscope shaft and head, which then allows a proper application of either an ST "add-on" (no PPI, but does display on the NavMap) or as an "upgrade" (displays on the PPI, but eliminates the SJ antenna).

So, how important is it to the users to "see" that SJ antenna, or how important is it to have it display on the NavMap only, or how important is the ST to you anyway? It did not make it to very many boats prior to the end of the war... Thanks

Well, apparently, a person cannot edit a "Poll" after a post goes "live" (5 minutes) oh well...
assuming that you want responses since the poll failed.

options 2 and 3 would be my preferences.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 10:03 AM   #3
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214
Uploads: 0

2 and 3 seem very good as an addon mod.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-21, 10:58 AM   #4
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214

Old 08-12-21, 12:31 PM   #5
propbeanie

Do NOT seek thee treasure - do NOT seek thee treasure...

How many of your are there?... 'n' only three of yas kinn rite?...

I suppose we should find out how many folks are using manual-targeting with no map contacts on?... who amongst all y'all are crazy enough to be that realistic? lol

Old 08-12-21, 02:49 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: Which way to fly.. or go with... Hmmm...

Considering it all, am with the others.. option 2 or 3.

As is, I do roll with map contacts on.. Am pretty sure the guys on subs, did take radio messages & plot them out on something if not on to the maps directly in some fashion. Using map contacts on, to Me at any rate.. fills in for that. Of course, that's just the way I roll & I know and am smart enough to realize that not every one will agree with that, which is fine... as the saying goes, to each their own.

With that said, I would even if it means the subs conn doesn't show the 'equipment' exactly... (which it'd be nice if it did & would.. ) I for 1, would love that the contacts from both would show on the map.

Any how... that's My .02 cents worth on that...

As for the absence of replies... this asking wasn't that long ago posted... I wouldn't stress it too much yet... am sure more will respond, as soon as they know this has been asked for an opinion on it.

Signing off for now...

M. M.

Old 08-12-21, 03:11 PM   #7
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
As for the absence of replies... this asking wasn't that long ago posted... I wouldn't stress it too much yet...
not stressin' here bro!... - Arlo using that "I'm with you fellers!" gif, set off my use of the "Oh Brother, Where Art Though" video, where at the end of the session, the studio owner bangs on the window and says somethin' to the effect "Y'all com-on in he-ar and sign this here contract, an' I'll pay ya $10 each!" and the George Clooney character replies with "OK sir, but uh, Mert and Aloysius will have to sign Xs, as only four of us can write." Of course, there's only the four of them in the studio... - Kind of like my old high school band trying to get pay for our roadies when our contract said "... pay each band member $50..." They did not say "performer", they said "member"... we always considered the guys who helped us load the trucks and set-up / tear-down as part of the band, along with the sound board man and the light man... most folks didn't see it that way though - "say, there's only five guys on stage! why are you asking pay for nine?!?!!" - anyway, that's the reasoning behind the "How many of your are there?... 'n' only three of yas kinn rite?..." line, not that I was worried about no one replying.

Old 08-12-21, 03:26 PM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
not stressin' here bro!... - Arlo using that "I'm with you fellers!" gif, set off my use of the "Oh Brother, Where Art Though" video, where at the end of the session, the studio owner bangs on the window and says somethin' to the effect "Y'all com-on in he-ar and sign this here contract, an' I'll pay ya $10 each!" and the George Clooney character replies with "OK sir, but uh, Mert and Aloysius will have to sign Xs, as only four of us can write." Of course, there's only the four of them in the studio... - Kind of like my old high school band trying to get pay for our roadies when our contract said "... pay each band member $50..." They did not say "performer", they said "member"... we always considered the guys who helped us load the trucks and set-up / tear-down as part of the band, along with the sound board man and the light man... most folks didn't see it that way though - "say, there's only five guys on stage! why are you asking pay for nine?!?!!" - anyway, that's the reasoning behind the "How many of your are there?... 'n' only three of yas kinn rite?..." line, not that I was worried about no one replying.

My bad... *face palms then head bangs desk... *

I blame it on not having had enough Army or Navy mud... take ya pick...
Old 08-12-21, 03:58 PM   #9
propbeanie

You just need more bluegrass music, that's all!

Too many guitars in that last one... lol

Old 08-12-21, 05:48 PM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

I do happen to enjoy bluegrass music... but not sure how that'd help, other than provide enjoyable music to listen to...

M. M.

Old 08-13-21, 12:39 AM   #11
Comder
Commander

Downloads: 83

Good Evening Gentlemen,
Long day. I would go with the options 2 & 3. This would give the option to the player how they would do their setups.

Thanks

Comder

Asus ROG Strix Scar G732LXS-XS99
I9 10th GEN, 32gb MEM, RX2080 8GB nvidia, 2TB SSD
Windows 10 Pro

Warship? What warship?
Comder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 07:28 PM   #12
propbeanie

I am having trouble getting the Observation Periscope to upgrade, in spite of several attempts at UpgradePacks, Slots, cussing, editing and more cussing... I thought I had it licked with doing the periscope change with the conning tower change, but that messes with other aspects of the game, such as failures of base changes to go into effect, but yet being unable to dock at the old home port... I need a bigger hammer...

Old 08-15-21, 10:26 PM   #13
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Default Please use this safely and with the proper PPE

Quote:
I am having trouble getting the Observation Periscope to upgrade, in spite of several attempts at UpgradePacks, Slots, cussing, editing and more cussing... I thought I had it licked with doing the periscope change with the conning tower change, but that messes with other aspects of the game, such as failures of base changes to go into effect, but yet being unable to dock at the old home port... I need a bigger hammer...

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-21, 10:52 PM   #14
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re Ask & ye shall receive...

100 lb sledge hammer...

M. M.

Old 08-16-21, 03:38 AM   #15
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I'm a bit late to the discussion here so I'll keep it short, option 4 sounds like the easiest option for me, rip it out root and stem and be done with it.
I'm sure Mr beanie has already discussed this alternative with his fellow modders but I was wondering if he could make an addon mod where option 4 can be used by players who don't want or need that modern ST technology thing.
Damn it, I could even give him some high marks out of 10 for catering to all players as well, would 5\10 be too high Mr beanie, I don't want you to get too big headed as your better half could start whacking you round the head with her rolling pin, I'll leave it with you and your team mates to discuss this option again, and please Mr beanie, make the right decision.