SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-20, 04:35 PM   #1
stellaferox
Soundman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0
Default MODS for SH4?

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to SH4, but I have played every subgame there is and was from the eighties. Especially the other SHs. Guess I am into German U-Boats. Now I want to try the allied side.
I like playing at full realism and do all the stuff manual.
Regarding this, what is the best MOD for SH4? Is there also something like The Wolves of Steel as in SH5?
stellaferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 04:50 PM   #2
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I'm not completely sure but I would go for Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Editon.
I love it. You should use it but it is totally up to you.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 05:00 PM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hello stellaferox,
as for mods there is an ample choice with SH4, but most of the time you are going to need the upgrade 'U-Boot Missions' v.1.5 which you must aquire separately, this is not a mod but an official expansion to the game. If you have the Steam version you should already own that.

With this installed, there are a couple of big mods that you can install via JSGME:

RFB (Real Fleet Boat) is a mod that focuses on realism improvements. Nothing I can say more about , I didn't play it.

TMO 2.5 (+ OTF) (+RSRD) is a serious overhaul to the game, making it harder with better grafics and many new features like walking in your sub and clickable items (if you install OTF), better optics etc. Comes with a complete manual. Optionally you can add RSRD which changes the campaign traffic.

TMO wTw 2.5 (+ OTF) is an easier version of TMO 2.5, same features but easier gameplay. I would also install OTF with it.

Ralles ModSoup: based on TMO, OTF and RSRD is a compilation of the mods above ready to install with optional mods included.

FOTRSU (Fall of The Rising Sun Ultimate): A mod with many, many extra units including all features of TMO which the campaign is based upon.

I hope this helps you in your decision, have fun with SH4!

Greetins,
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-05-20 at 05:17 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 06:52 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaferox View Post
Hi Guys,

I am completely new to SH4, but I have played every subgame there is and was from the eighties. Especially the other SHs. Guess I am into German U-Boats. Now I want to try the allied side.
I like playing at full realism and do all the stuff manual.
Regarding this, what is the best MOD for SH4? Is there also something like The Wolves of Steel as in SH5?
try playing the Pacific part of Stock 1.5 Uboat Missions (UBM).
then read XenonSurf's email for next steps.
TMO is probably the toughest of the mods.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 01:33 AM   #5
stellaferox
Soundman

Thx all. I have the Ubisoft version so I will look into the U-Boat missions 1.5 and mods you mentioned
Old 05-06-20, 04:10 AM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

They're all Ubisoft, difference in versions if you bought from STEAM, Amazon, GOG, whatever. Prior to STEAM there was a disc version or a downloadable from the predecessor to GOG, that's what I have.

Lower right corner of the main menu screen should be a number, V1.3, V1.4, or V1.5. That will tell you what version you have. 1.4 was the last free patch, 1.5 added U-boats and was sold as an expansion, these days nearly all new purchases are "GOLD" versions already patched and updated to 1.5.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 04:48 PM   #7
stellaferox
Soundman

Strange then.... I bought it from Ubisoft as a Gold Edition with the U-Boat missions, so 1.5 I guess, but in my startscreen, it says version 1.004.
What do I do?
Old 05-06-20, 05:57 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Might be talking about different screens, the main menu I have is this one;

Note where the arrow is pointing, I have 1.4.

I tried 1.5 last year, but I'm still chugging along on a 15 year old Dell with Windows XP, so 1.5 worked like a government employee. As I recall though the main difference was when you chose a career, it had more options including German U boats.

Another way in XP (dunno if this applies to all them newfangled VISTA 10 fiascos or not) is to right click on the executable, choose Properties, and click Version;

That works for most programs, at least before Vista.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:51 PM   #9
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

if it says version 1.004.sounds like Fall of The Rising Sun Ultimate mod is installed
Old 05-06-20, 07:56 PM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

"And les green01 is our ~WINNER~!!! Dave, would you tell us what les green01 has in his prize package?..." "A ream of used copy paper! Oh boy!"

You had me thinking at first that Ubi had stepped back into time there stellaferox... A little nostalgia maybe? Looking back on the days when SH4 was like SH5? Wouldn't run correctly?... - Thankfully, les green01 came to the rescue! On this Windows 10 64-bit machine I have with a UPlay copy on it, I have no issue with doing mods, or copying the SH4 and modding the copy. I am in "C:\Ubisoft \Ubisoft Game Launcher \Games", where I have a "Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition" that the game created, as well as a copy of that, which I named "FotRSU". Both play fine, with "Gold" using the default SH4 Save folder, and "FotRSU" using an FRS Save folder. Similar to some games, I did have to start my SH4 through the UPlay front-end first and register its license, then do my copies and everything works fine. Using a right-click on the sh4.exe file, then "Properties", then "Details" - which is more than similar to what Sniper297 mentions - on my computer shows v1,5,0,0

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-06-20 at 08:04 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 02:14 AM   #11
stellaferox
Soundman

Thx guys. The Startscreen indeed says version 1.5. I have FOTRS installed. My mistake.....plz excuse....

Only thing that bothers me is that sometimes it starts normally and sometimes it doesn't. Then the wheel on the popupscreen keeps spinning. It helps when I first start up SH5 TWOS (but that takes forever) and after that SH4. I think there could be some leftovers in the taskmanager which prevent a normal startup or it is something at the end of Ubisoft?

Ideas?
Old 05-07-20, 10:21 AM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

UPlay... First load of the day takes forever usually, as it goes and checks your account, your games, etc. - whatever all else it checks.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 10:25 AM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
UPlay... First load of the day takes forever usually, as it goes and checks your account, your games, etc. - whatever all else it checks.

That's why I'm so happy to have my old SH4 DVD, I install in c:\games..., patch to 1.4, upgrade to 1.5, place JSGME in my game folder, load my mod and i'm playing. Really that simple with the DVD version. No nasty background services.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote