SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-20, 10:41 AM   #1
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0
Default Bugs, Glitches and Crashes

My SH4 has begun misbehaving badly. Bad graphics, black screen crashes, back to desktop, so much so I deleted it and reinstalled it. I have got it back to working with basics but the desk screen at the beginning is shifting images to a brownish colour when I hover the cursor over the map and the submarine model. Also my map when running game has reverted to a giant anchor standing upright and a plain yukky single colour map, I am still working on that but need to get it going first.

I have also forgotten what mods I had running now - AGH!!! I have a RTX Geforce 2070 card on a Win 10 home x 64 pc and up to a couple of days ago all was fine.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 10:49 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Knowing which mods you are running is essential, because it could tell us if there are incompatibilities which cause CTD. Although buggy, the stock game + the v.1.5 expansion (U-boat expansion) will not crash or show glitches like you mention - that is: if installed correctly.

When installing, you should install to something like C:\Games\... and not in the Program folder, then make sure all games files are not write-protected.

Only limiting your mods to popular megamods and not adding more without knowing what you do exactly should run the game fine. Mods like Ralles Modpack, TMO+OTF, RFB, or FOTRSU. If you make a bad mod mix, then the problems you mention will certainly arise.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 11:01 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have had recent Windows updates mess with all sorts of "legacy" stuff on my computer, plus you have that nVidia graphics card that has probably had its driver updated. For my system, which is nowhere near what you have, I have to set the display to its native resolution, which Windows calls " (,,, recommended)" on the resolution choices list. Then choose that same resolution in the game. My Win10x64 laptop has to have Windows 7 compatibility set, run as administrator, as well as changing the High DPI to program controlled. Others use the "V-Sync" in the game to "steady" their display image. All kinds of noodling and experimenting you can try... For me, finding the 'correct' combination was a real bother... and then Windows turns around and reverts some of my changes with the next update... sigh. Sometimes I feel like Eeyore or Rodney Dangerfield in all of this... THEBERBSTER could probably put you right on the issue...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 11:02 AM   #4
Red Devil
The Old Man

After re installing I ran basics and it was rubbish graphics BUT, I entered FLB colour maps manually into folders along with textures and other inserts from same mod and it worked as far as the graphics go. I loaded a new game which I had compiled after installation but it 'failed'. So I ran an older save at Cavete, a porpoise, and it worked. Now I am going to run the game for a bit and see if any problems arise, then I will add RSRDC, then check etc etc until I find a compilation of mods that does not cause problems. The mods that were in before taking SH4 out had been in for so long I forgot what I put in. My memory is not good anymore. It been a very long time since I saw an 'ideal' working set of mods, so I'll wait till I have tested everything.

By accident I found this map mod after re installation - its brilliant AND, for the first time since 2007, New guinea is spelt correctly!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pacific.jpg (18.2 KB, 4 views)
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 05-04-20 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-03-20, 11:08 AM   #5
propbeanie

I delete stuff on myself all of the time... it is NOT an age thing though, since I've been doing it ever since I first bought a C-64 back in the day. Prior to that, it was throwing away my US mail, such as the electric bill one month... but if you can think of it next time, cut the MODS folder to somewhere else on the computer before blowing up the game install. You would have to eliminate the JSGME.ini file in the folder, as well as the two hidden folders JSGME uses for the back-up and the log files if you go to use the folder directly again, but otherwise, it is a relatively easy way to remember what you had previously - if you can only remember where you saved it to...

Old 05-03-20, 12:31 PM   #6
Red Devil
The Old Man

successful mission to philippines invasion force and two freighters on the way home, but some bugs are still manifesting - Jap destroyers at Cavete when they should not be as it opening couple of days and still USA base. A mission to photograph my own base on Dec 7th 1941; which I ignored.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 05-03-20, 01:36 PM   #7
propbeanie

The game does have some dates and assignments "off", to say the least, but also, with Saved games, you can really run into some weirdness if your mod load-out does not match the old Save file. In other words, if you had TMO and RSRDC previously, and only have TMO now, but load a Save from the TMO / RSRDC combo, things may or may not work initially, but you are guaranteed to run into trouble eventually.

Old 05-03-20, 02:10 PM   #8
Red Devil
The Old Man

another bug from previous - co2 and fuel do not move anymore. I think I will have to try an new career.

edit: new and fixed. Did map makeover whilst available. So far not used jsgme; been adding manualy to files
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk

Last edited by Red Devil; 05-03-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 11:36 AM   #9
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Harold R. Shelton is a spammer.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-20, 03:25 PM   #10
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Harold R. Shelton is a spammer.
what has that to do with SH4 and crashes????
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 05-04-20, 09:02 PM   #11
propbeanie

Ya can't blink around here Red Devil, else you'll miss a spammer come into a thread, get reported, and the mods extraordinaire take 'em out, all the twinkling of an eye! u crank was jus lettin' us know that he had reported him, and no one had to hit the "Report Post" button. Moderator removed the offending post, hence the lack of association.

Old 05-05-20, 12:37 AM   #12
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
...you'll miss a spammer come into a thread, get reported, and the mods extraordinaire take 'em out, all the twinkling of an eye!
Spammers are like the Dutchman.

They don't actually exist around here.
Old 05-05-20, 05:24 AM   #13
Red Devil
The Old Man

Thanks prop
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 05-05-20, 09:51 AM   #14
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Spammers are like the Dutchman.

They don't actually exist around here.
I should NOT have read that while taking a sip of coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Thanks prop
yer more than welcome