SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-20, 08:15 AM   #1
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Directed to Manus Island

Just finished a patrol to the Yellow Sea and East China Sea where we sank the Yamoto Battleship with five torpedoes on April 23, 1944 as it sailed in a group with three destroyers and one heavy cruiser.

Expended all torpedoes, now trans-versing the Bismark Sea while heading back to base at Milne Bay when we receive message on May 1, 1944 directing us to use Manus Island, Papua New Guinea the largest of the Admiralty Islands for our new base.

However, there is no base at Manus Island in early May 1944 in SH4 career. Circling Manus Island and there is still no base as of May 5, 1944. While all other ports are shown on the map, there is no Primary port shown on the map. Any ideas?

I'm using TMO with RSRD and OTC. Thanks.
Old 05-01-20, 08:43 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I cannot help you for the missing port, but:

Are you using Ralles modpack or have you loaded these mods personally, I'm asking because Ralles pack has exactly these 3 mods combined together, and others may also experience your problem. Ralles thread is here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=225443

Because I also play this mod combination I'm interested in a solution too.

Cheers,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 01:07 PM   #3
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
I cannot help you for the missing port, but:
Are you using Ralles modpack or have you loaded these mods personally, I'm asking because Ralles pack has exactly these 3 mods combined together, and others may also experience your problem. Ralles thread is here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=225443
Because I also play this mod combination I'm interested in a solution too.
I do not use Ralles modpack but I do additionally use about 10 to 15 personally selected mods with some being my own making.

It may be a date issue because I received the change in port message on May 1st while I was within half days sailing from the Admiralty Islands. So, I've been sailing around killing time, it's now May 5th and the port is still not active. This is the first time that I've not had a primary port to return to. I guess I can rearm and refuel at another US port nearby. If I come up with a better solution, I'll post again.
Old 05-01-20, 03:33 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

In lurker's RSRDC, he has [Unit 44] Manus Island going active on May 1, 1944. Save your game, and exit. Look through your other mods, and see if they have a "Data / Campaigns / Campaign / US_NavalBases.mis file in them that is overwriting lurkers, and back those mods off. Whichever mod(s) has a US_NavalBases.mis file in it, remove that file from the mod, then re-activate it and any other mods you had after that. Now start SH4 again, and see if you can load that Save. If not, do NOT Save, but exit the game and undo those mod changes again. You'll have to put that US_NavalBases.mis file back in, but use WinMerge to reconcile the differences with the bases, or using a text editor, edit the offending US_NavalBases.mis file to either include Manus, or alter its date for Manus, if it has one in it. Use of WinMerge might involve a ~massive~ number of [Unit ###] changes, and you might be better of altering the one, or adding one at the end of the file, using the next available [Unit #] after the current last entry...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 06:26 AM   #5
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In lurker's RSRDC, he has [Unit 44] Manus Island going active on May 1, 1944.

Look through your other mods, and see if they have a "Data / Campaigns / Campaign / US_NavalBases.mis file in them that is overwriting lurkers, and back those mods off.

Whichever mod(s) has a US_NavalBases.mis file in it, remove that file from the mod, then re-activate it and any other mods you had after that. Now start SH4 again, and see if you can load that Save. If not, do NOT Save, but exit the game and undo those mod changes again. You'll have to put that US_NavalBases.mis file back in, but use WinMerge to reconcile the differences with the bases, or using a text editor, edit the offending US_NavalBases.mis file to either include Manus, or alter its date for Manus, if it has one in it. Use of WinMerge might involve a ~massive~ number of [Unit ###] changes, and you might be better of altering the one, or adding one at the end of the file, using the next available [Unit #] after the current last entry...
Your post has led me to three Mods containing files that are both in TMO & RSRD, and may conflict. They are as follows:

Nav Map Make-over v2.1
Campaign_Loc.mis
Campaign_NMS.mis (in TMO but not in RSRD mod or patch)
US_NavalBases.mis

NMMO Air Base add-on (optional)
Campaign_Loc.mis
Jap_AirCover.mis
US_AirCover.mis

NMMO v2.1 Patch 1 with air bases (optional)
Campaign_Loc.mis
PCZ_Traffic.mis (neither in TMO & RSRD mod or patch)
US_AirCover.mis
US_HarborTraffic.mis
US_NavalBases.mis

Propbeanie, all of the above files are in TMO, RSRD and RSRD patch except as noted; and may impact TMO & RSRD game play.

I like the main Nav Map Make-over Mod. The associated mods, NMMO AirBase Add-on & Patch are optional and I could easily do without them; so, deleting them might be best.

That leaves 3 files for concern:
Campaign_Loc.mis, US_NavalBases.mis and Campaign_NMS.mis (in TMO but not in RSRD mod or patch). Do you know what the Campaign_Loc.mis and Campairgn_NMS.mis are for? Any suggestions on file placement or order in relationship to TMO and RSRD? Could, perhaps, the 3 files be deleted from the Nav Map Make-over mod? Or, maybe just deleting the US_NavalBases.mis file? I lack the ability to edit or merge files so placement is my only option. Thus, file deletion and/or order of placement.

Looking forward to your opinion.
Old 05-03-20, 09:12 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Campaign_LOC contains the docks and cities you see on the NavMap, with varying layers of zoom. Campaign_NMS contains all of the "named" islands and waterways in the mod. Neither of those "control" where a NavalBase is placed. Only the US_NavalBases.mis file does. If you remove that file from the two NavMap mods, then the RSRDC version is not over-written. lurker added to the file, so you won't (most likely) be missing anything by leaving the NMMO version out. I cannot remember, but those mods were for Stock, correct? If so, that would explain the lack of Manus at the time lurker sends out the message for such. The airbase layer adds little icon markers to where the main airbases are in the game. I do not recall what the "PCZ_Traffic.mis" is, but he doesn't have a new Campaign.cfg file, which is what is used to "load" the different parts of the Campaign folder, so it does no harm...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 05:32 PM   #7
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Possible conflicts with RSRD mod

I've spent some time comparing mods that I use with the RSRD mod. Specifically looking for files that might be in conflict with files in RSRD.

For quite awhile I've had the same patrol assignments. Over 10 times, I've been assigned to the Bashi Channel & Luzon Strait. Then more recently, I've experienced CTDs while loading saved games.

I uninstalled and re-installed SH4 from Steam, deleted the SH4 file, moved SH4 to a different hard drive, set up LAA & JSGME to the new directory. Set up a new MOD directory and copied all my mods over to it with 1 exception.

I deleted PeabodyMidwayCareer due to a hunch that it was most likely a culprit. It contains two UPCCampaignData files that control flotillas and patrol assignments as does RSRD; thus over writing the RSRD mod. A definite conflict.

I discussed another mod with Propbeanie, see the last couple of posts. Nav Map Make_Over adds a lot of extra detail to the SH4 map. It includes an optional NMMO Airbase Add-on, a NMMO patch for airbase add-on, and NMMO Reverse Ocean Colors add-on. There are multiple conflicts between these mods and RSRD, specifically campaign files like US_NavalBases.mis and others. Thus, there's a need to remove the optional NMMO Airbase Add-on and the NMMO patch for airbase add-on mods. May continue to use Nav Map Make_Over and NMMO Reverse Ocean Colors add-on mods.

Important Note: Instead of deleting the US_NavalBases.mis file from the Nav Map Make_Over mod, I choose to make an additional, small mod to add back RSRD's original US_NavalBases.mis file back in right after the Nav Map Make_Over mod.

I've concluded that I could delete the NMMO Airbase add-on mod and its patch, and then safely get by with the Nav Map Make_Over mod and the NMMO Reverse Ocean Colors add-on mod. An early test of this confirms my opinion.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited by von Zelda; 05-04-20 at 03:00 AM.